Leagues Cup [R]

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by MassachusettsRef, Jul 24, 2019.

1. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
  2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it very interesting that Barkey never bothers to really address whether or not the recommendation for DOGSO was correct. He says it's a "correct usage of video review" and explains the referee can (or, truly, needs) to show the yellow card once he's seen the replay.

But the question of whether or not the referee should have ever been at the monitor in the first place is much more important and more complicated. Barkey seems to go out of his way to make no value judgment whatsoever on whether or not this is clearly DOGSO.

I know these videos don't get a ton of eyes from fans, relatively speaking. But those who do watch are probably left with the mistaken impression that a borderline DOGSO foul should be reviewed and if it ends up being a yellow, that's fine, too. In truth, if you read between the lines and seize on what is not said, it seems like a PRO VAR would be in trouble for sending this down.

3. ColoradoRef

ColoradoRef Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petke suspended 3 MLS games, 3 League Cup games, and fined. Got off easy, I say, given this description of what he did:

ManiacalClown and sitruc repped this.
  4. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough to corroborate that info without being able to list sources, but I for one believe them.

JasonMa repped this.
  5. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Alan Gordon got a 3 MLS game ban for saying the word “************” so I guess they’re staying consistent and not changing with the times?

It would be nice if we could get a greater than 5 game ban for blatant homophobia.

Bootsy Collins and JasonMa repped this.
  6. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. But FWIW, RSL added on two weeks away from the club, without pay, and anger management/sensitivity training.

Sometime I'd like to see a study about whether forcing folks to take anger management/sensitivity classes really has a significant effect.

frankieboylampard and LampLighter repped this.
  7. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    That is actually really encouraging, I wish more clubs would do stuff like that.

I’m thinking Magic Mushrooms might be best for changing someone’s attitude about things.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Decriminalized in Denver, but we don't want Petke back right now

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The club is also requiring a general apology to the fans, a specific apology to the LGBTQ community, and personal apologies to the referees in question. I am interested to see them come to fruition.

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petke fired for actions against referees in Leagues Cup game (capping what the owner referred to earlier this week as a pattern of behavior vis-a-vis the officials).

sitruc repped this.
  11. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big news, Petke fired by RSL.

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I think that means this tournament is a real thing and Major League Soccer is a top league now.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did these apologies ever happen, and if not, could that be part of the reason he was fired post-suspension instead of at the time?

14. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    I do not disagree with this. Petke's actions were way over the line of acceptable behavior, and he has paid the price for that. At the same time, why is MLS/SUM/US Soccer so strangely unwilling to take any meaningful action when thousands of people repeatedly scream the same word Petke was disciplined for using. Is it because Petke is low-hanging fruit while taking substantial action against the supporters of El Tri who scream the word would jeopardize the bottom line by endangering the big paydays that Mexico generates every time it plays in the US?

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been waiting and watching, and figured he would speak up when the comments from the owner came out earlier this week that he was still thinking of firing him came out. But none came as far as I can tell.

The initial info the team and league had was the initial verbal attack, on the field after the game. It then came out that Petke continued to use the word in the tunnel - both verbally and on some sort of sign - and then sent notes to the referee dressing room with the word on it again.

I don't know this for sure, but I suspect the initial engagement would have just seen the fine and suspension. It's the rest that elevates it to something fireable. It was also a specific attack on an individual (or group with the ARs) as opposed to a general slur. Both problematic, one a level more serious than the other.

16. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    I'm honestly surprised but given the context of him not saying the word in passing but instead deliberately writing it, I think sealed his fate. It wasn't spur of the moment anger, he had to think about that.

That he hasn't apologized at all really says something about his character. An MLS player apologized for spitting at an opponent almost immediately after.

17. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Or rather, your last sentence is doubtless why nothing happens at matches involving El Tri in the U.S.

Winoman repped this.
  18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am unaware of other examples of a D-1 coach being fired for verbally assaulting referees. Probably there are some; anyone know?

19. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    I think there was a coach that got fired for physically assaulting a referee but I don’t know of one fired for words. Also don’t know of one who constantly harassed the referee and then sent him letters continuing the harassment.

20. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm splitting hairs too much here, but I would classify Petke as being fired for the exact nature of his verbal assault rather than the fact that it was toward referees. The press release stresses "diversity, acceptance, and inclusion" and never makes mention of "officials" or "referees" explicitly. RSL is more concerned about the content than the victims.

Now, I'm not even remotely suggesting this is a bad thing. He deserved to go and I'm pleased to see RSL took this action. But if Petke had chosen a few different words and exhibited the same general behavior toward referees, I don't think he'd be unemployed today. Similarly, if he used the same words against the opposing team or stadium staff or his own staff or players, he'd be gone.

Somewhat long way of saying I don't think the fact that he disrespected and verbally abused referees is the reason he's gone. Again, not a complaint--just an observation if we're trying to put it in a larger context at all.

usaref repped this.
  21. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    As I heard it sponsors were pressuring Real Salt Lake to get rid of him. He was offered to resign, didn’t take it, so he was fired.

22. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, Petke has been this way for....forever? He pulled this kind of stunt when he was a player in the league. Had he done his most recent antics in Philli or DC or Chicago he might have even gotten away with a fine/suspension. He treated those refs like Mexican teams treat American refs at "friendlies" in the US. His firing is a combination of the following, anyone of which you could hypothetically change and he'd still have a job:

1. Homophobic nature of insults
    2. Writing it down (!!!!)
    3. Being wrong on the merits (the call he was hacked at was correct)
    4. His history of this kind of thing
    5. Being employed in Salt Lake (family friendly environment and what not)
    6. Blowing off his owner
    7. Sponsor pressure (largely based on #s 1 and 5)
    8. His mediocre record as a coach
    9. THE TEAM PLAYING BETTER WITHOUT HIM.

I think the players showed they are happier without him than with him by their performance on the field.

Again, tweak anyone of those, and he might still be around. But now he is likely unemployable. We'll see where he lands. Probably a youth club in Los Angeles is my guess.

IASocFan and nylaw5 repped this.
  23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here's RSL owner Del Loy Hansen speaking about referees, and treatment thereof, today in his first public comments on the incident and the firing.

IASocFan repped this.
  24. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching some of last night's games on the ESPN+ replay. The biggest shock for me so far is Escobar actually carries his cards and knows where they are as he pulled a yellow for a tactical foul against Cruz Azul.

After watching his unwillingness to sanction misconduct in the Gold Cup final, I wasn't sure if he even took cards onto the field.