Lazio in the Europa League

Discussion in 'Lazio' started by Rob_420, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Agreed. If we get to the Champions League group stage we would get owned again with this team. We need major reinforcements. Having Zauri and Stankevicius is joke. It was not a surprise that two of the goal came from that side. The big problem was we had a very poor January mercato. I think we could finish third and go to the qualifying stage but then we would need a lucky draw. If not that then we would need to buy some good players.

2. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    do you know anything you need to score 3 goals to go through. they scored 3 away goals and i would not be suprised if you get trashed in spain like udinese did

3. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    exacly top 6 nations play against each other now it is not like before when top nations played agains champions of bosnia alobania ext.

4. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That is what Champions League qualification is for. You dont just pick money off trees. Champions League provides you this cash. Lotito has shown us he has 11 mill ready from the Nilmar offer, Plus UEFA awards €2.1 million to each team in the play-offs round,for reaching the group stage, UEFA awards €3.9 million, plus €550,000 per group match played.

Lazio has got roughly 1 million at this stage so far in Europa. Do you see the significance? I think the total wages and expenses alone tally 1 mill

So this money definitely is a key factor for strengthening our team. Qualification is vital

And I dont understand this pessimism. With Mauri Brocchi Dias Lulic Radu Rocchi, this game would have been waay waaay different. We just beat AC Milan and I doubt you were as down hearted as you are now. This is a bad patch of injuries. Plus additions in the summer should we make Champions League will make a huge difference and make Lazio a CL adequate team.

All Europa League is doing at this point is tiring Lazio out and adding to injuries like Biava is now injured from today also. Another big loss in the quality of our 11

5. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    True while we don't have the quality to play in Europe and battle for 3rd in Serie A, today's performance was beyond acceptable.

The silver lining is that we can focus on nabbing 3rd which would force management to net us some quality players in the summer. Squadra is right we need to get into the CL or else we'll be under manned trying to gain something in the Europa. We might not be ready for the CL atm, but if we get there, Lazio will be lucrative place for several players.

6. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    true but if italian teams keep thinking this way lazio will need to finish 2nd just to reach cl play offs

7. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah, Italy losing a Champions League place has really hurt us. If it never happened then third would grant us a place in the group stage. All of Italy has to take responsibilty for that and it does not even look likely we will take that place anytime soon.

8. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Not with these poor Europa League performances in the past decade. still don't know how teams like Napoli, Juve, Fiorentina, Roma and us have struggled so much against what should be inferior competition.

What hurt us was the two draws to Vaslui, we really should've grabbed top spot in the group and we would be facing a much weaker opposition.

9. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Thank You, I assume you now realize how important Champions League is to Lazio. In case you missed the prize figures, check my previous post since it disappeared quickly from this new page. I along with fellow Laziali were crushed to lose out in champions league play offs last season because of goal difference. Our cinderella story season came to a brutal ending just missing out as ACM and Udinese played a tennis match to ensure Udinese would get the spot and ultimately screwing Lazio and Serie A.

Now that previous last season is being repeated except with another obstacle in our way by reducing the number of CL spots. Still Lazio continues to strive to the top of Serie A and it hurts me Taib that you are playing down Lazio's strength and saying how CL is not for us.

Believe.

10. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The offer of €11 million for Nilmar was in three installments not upfront.

The Champions League provides cash but that does not mean it will be the answer to our problems. Like I said already last time we qualified for the Champions League and got that money we did not upgrade the team and consequently we finished bottom of our group and finished way down in the League.

All I am saying that if wherever we finish we got to buy better players. No serious team would allow players like Zauri and Stankevicius near the bench let alone the first XI. Every team get injuries. Milan are decimated by injuries but they still won comfortably.

11. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We do not have the experience of playing in Europe. To be fair Napoli have not struggled in Europe this season. In todays match we could not even hold possession while Atletico were passing it around us. They won the competiton not long ago and it showed.

The two draws against Vaslui are shameful. I do not care if it was second sring team we should still be able to beat them. Our performaces in Europe for nearly a decade have been awful. Our players just need to get up to speed with playing in Europe through expierience.

12. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am not saying Champions League is not for Lazio. I am saying that if we are going to have a proper go at Champions League instead of making up the numbers Lazio have to improve the team. On tonights evidence there is no other logical conclusion. I watched the entire match and Lazio were second best all night. In fact our entire Europa League campaign has been a let down. We only scraped through the group stage when we were facing some teams that I have never even heard of and today we were embaressed. If you think Lazio at the moment are good enough for the Champions League that is fine but I certainly do not. This team has got to improve in my opinion otherwise more nights in Europe like this will happen. The warning signs are there and Lazio has to take notice of them. The loss does not hurt as much as the manner of the defeat. We were totally outplayed from start to finish and it always bad when our own fans start booing the team.

13. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    a player like Nilmar is not going to be the answer...Italian teams need to take eruopa league seriously why because at the end of the day its more important to fans that a team wins something then gaining money to me its seems like an easyer task to get to the europa league finals then to win Serie A...

14. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but future wise and financially its more about the money, lazio is one of those teams that can achieve more and by more I mean getting in CL
    now whats more important? depends from what angle
    on top of which getting into the cl final well...there's man u and city but even though they are not usual contenders its still a tough competition from quarters and up

15. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do agree with you with teams needing to take europa more seriously, its kinda lame when teams like psg and lille throw the competitions away in order to solely focus on Cl qualification, though I can understand why they did it
    and to be honest europa should offer a bit more money, not CL money but something since in certain cases some teams actually come out with a loss in these competitions

having to spread out the team resulting in lower performances for league which means losing points which can diminish CL/EL hopes for next year and for the amount gained in EL sometimes its not worth it

16. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    serie a needs to have a seperate funds for europa league for serie a teams that are compeating in el. so lazio and udinese qualified fro rnd of 32 they should be revorded 2.5 mill each for that and if udinese or lazio qualify for rnd of 16 they should get 3.5 mill each and so on

17. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    thats what UEFA is supposed to do if they want teams to take the EL seriously they need to increase the amount of money teams get...

18. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    another way of making it worthwhile is offering the winner and runner up CL qualification or play off spots regardless of league position
    top mid teams will give a dam then

19. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    source: football-italia

Udinese have no excuses, Pozzo & Co. are mega rich....and even own a team in Liga. I am sure if Granada were in EL, they would would make sure they do well..

Anyway, in Round of 32 Atletico were the better team in Rome....
    and PAOK matched Udinese...

20. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does the info say how much?
    if it was worthwhile than we can really say teams don't give a dam

21. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    We shouldn't feel too bad about our EL campaign. Being knocked out allows us to focus on Serie A and the two teams we lost to Atl Madrid and Sporting look like favs to win the competition.

22. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Absolutely. Even Reja's assistant coach Giovanni Lopez had said after the Cagliari game that Lazio was suffering playing between competitions which has provoked injuries.

It would have been nice to have our best players against Atletico, but the elimination had a big upside even though it felt rough losing with a shorthanded team in European competition.