Latest SSV Newsletter (Thursday, April 19): SJSU says no; Plan B on tap

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Jay Hipps, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Airblair

Airblair Member

Dec 8, 1999
    Redwood City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would the city see any of the sales tax revenue from a stadium located on county land? Parking revenue? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think so. I doubt the city would see dime one from any money spent at a fairgrounds stadium. And we all know that anti-rezoning forces like at the Merc are starting to coalesce around the idea that a new residential neighborhood like at Edenvale would cost the city money for services like schools, police, and the fire department, while residential property taxes bring in much less than if the land were still zoned industrial/commercial.

2. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple quick comments:

- We've posted a note on the SSV blog about the source of our information for Wednesday's e-mail. (Those of you who bet on "Earthquakes Soccer" can cash in your winning tickets at the kiosk on the plaza level...)

- To answer Falvo, we always try to tell our members everything we can, but we can't always share everything we know. I haven't spoken with Earthquakes Soccer yet about the steps they'll be taking to implement further plans but I will pass along a couple observations about how they like to do business, as demonstrated by the A's project in Fremont.

You might remember that there was a lot of speculation in the press about that deal--some correct and some incorrect--but the A's never commented until they had their big press conference with Cisco announcing their plans. It's my opinion that they'll probably do something similar now--they'll get all their ducks in a row so that they can present the whole picture to the public at once.

I think this is a smart way to go. The information that trickled out during the SJSU negotiations (sometimes correct, sometimes incorrect) resulted in a lot of misunderstandings among the public about what was on offer. (It amazes me that people can form such strong opinions when they either don't know the details of what was being discussed or don't understand what was reported in the paper about the proposals.) It's much better to construct the framework of a deal in the background, then make a big public presentation when you know how all the pieces will fit together. That way, everyone has the correct information and can form an opinion on that data rather than trying to come to some sort of a conclusion based on leaked info/half truths/etc.

To sum up: We'll tell you everything we can, whenever we can, but if we want to continue working with Earthquakes Soccer, we need to keep confidential information confidential.

3. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues
    A/ True

B/ True - Kanning is playing hardball thinking that Lew Wolff doesn't have any other options. But truely Lew does. Maybe Kanning thinks the MLS can step in to get whatever he wants. Wolff doesn't have to bring in an MLS team and Kanning can continue his historical track record of being a tight ass and never get a new stadium built.

C/ Yes, they still are. Remember that whole SHARKS issue where they made the City sue the County so a new stadium wouldn't be built and compete with them on the revenue for the new stadium. Those Bastards.
    To this day I will not pay to go to see the SHARKS.

D/ 1000% correct

Does anyone know if Lew Wolff has enough property by the proposed Fremont A's baseball site to put in a soccer field next to it?

4. Airblair

Airblair Member

Dec 8, 1999
    Redwood City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RE: The Sharks. Bastards! Of course, now they're on our team . . . err, Wolff's team.

RE: Fremont. No, he does not. He's said on several occasions that he needs all the land in Fremont for houses to pay for the stadium.

5. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I know y'all don't love me anymore, but I'm going to chime in anyway.

This was a bad deal for SJSU and Kassing was right to walk away. This amounted to a soccer stadium that his football team would be "allowed" to play in. Given what he was being asked to give (reportedly), he was not going to get enough in return to make a deal pencil out.

This was Wolff's easiest path to a new stadium. However, he came in guns blazing as the man in control of the decisions on stadium design and amenities. This was not the correct approach. He could have and should have been more conciliatory toward the needs of the SJSU football program, which is going to be in a growth phase whether y'all know it or believe it.

The idea of "we'll build you a new stadium so just shut up and take it", which I've heard continuously from those on this board who believe Kassing was stupid for resisting the deal, is just insulting.

This should have been a negotiation. But it got off on the wrong foot and was doomed from the start.

So now the easy road is blocked. Where next?

I hate to say it, but it's not going to be San Jose. Why do I say that? Read between the lines:

1) Unless Wolff is going to buy the land and build it himself (an idea thoroughly debunked), the City of San Jose will not allow a stadium to be built without a vote, which will be voted down in the current political climate.
    2) Wrangling over the Fairgrounds site (which I've favored all along for a community soccer facility) will take too long and probably be just as volatile as the SJSU negotiations...the only difference is instead of dealing with a university president, you'll be dealing with a crowd of yapping NIMBY's which have already reduced the Fairgrounds to its current state of insignificance.
    3) What's the title of this page? San Jose/Bay Area. When Garber speaks of expansion here, he talks Bay Area. The name of the holding company is Earthquakes, LLC...no mention of San Jose anywhere. MLS doesn't want to be in San Jose. Garber is one of those stuck-up types who can't abide his league stuck in a backwater cowtown like San Jose. He'd prefer anywhere else. That's why the Bay Area is in play, not just San Jose.

We've used up the San Jose options. The Bay Area is most likely next.

A hui hou...

6. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    After digesting this for a bit (it STILL ain't going down, though), if a "Plan B" does happen (and I pray it will), would the Quakes still play at Spartan the first year while waiting for the stadium to be built?? This may be a testy negotiation.

P.S. I have stated before (and quoted in a Metro article) that the folks at SSV truly inspire me. Nothing they have done or said through their correspondence since that time has altered my opinion of them.

Thank you, everyone at SSV, for all the countless, SOMETIMES thankless, hours you have all spent in helping keep the dream alive. I don't think Lew Wolff would even be thinking soccer in San Jose had it not been for the efforts of the folks at SSV.

7. bluenblack

bluenblack New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    San Leandro, CA
    I never said you personally accused SSVof lying, falvo. I was reacting to stikesoutalot's comments.

I wish that some people here on BS would realize that SSV is working in good faith and that they are not always at liberty to divulge any information. Have we already forgotten the recent hit pieces by the Murk?

So the deal died and it was NOT because of the lack of information. Let's no go off the deep end and attack SSV. They work hard and only for the love of the team.

8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That could all be part of the negotiations. The city could say "We'll rezone the IStar land if you give us a cut of the stadium revenue." In theory, the Quakes and the county could do a deal at the fairgrounds with no city involvement at all, but leaving the city out of the deal could end up putting the city in an adversarial position, since there will be traffic impacts on the surrounding streets, which are the city's, and any potential NIMBYs are city residents.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I know....Actually, I didn't mean to quote you...I'm sorry about that...What I really meant to say however, was I wish we could hear some more good news from SSV or someone else who really knows more about this thing becuase I'm sick of asking why opr what is going on?
    It seems like we are on on this constant 16 mionth a rollercoaster that won't end and its really a shame!

One comfort however, is that SJSU/Spartan Shops already said no to AEG and Lew stepped in in December 2005. He already said "that ship has sailed" etc etc. At that point no one knew or believed or even thought SJSU was in the picture at all as it was always the Fairgrounds to bethe new SSS.......When the story broke in January,2007, this is when the pendulum swung back to Spartan/SJSU becuase Spartan Shops already was out of the picture the year before.

10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't believe that anybody lied, or anybody has anything other than good motives. However, by definition "Plans B" tend to be subordinate for good reasons. I tend to doubt that the path to a potential plan B is as clear or uncomplicated as the SJSU plan appeared to be at first. Given the difficulty of doing anything in this area and the prevalence of NIMBY, BANANA (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anybody) and NOPE (Not On Planet Earth) attitudes that seem to prevail in this region, I am far from sanguine that we will ever see a stadium for the earthquakes constructed within our lives...

11. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a source that this is how Wolff negotiated, or are you projecting the attitude of some BigSoccer posters onto him?

The name of this board was made by BigSoccer administrators. How that is relevant to the decisions that will be made by Wolff or MLS or anyone who matters, I don't know. Your characterization of what Garber says is not consistent with recent comments he has made. He mentions San Jose by name often. Also, in the quote in the opening post of this thread, Alioto used "San Jose" twice in places that he could easily have said "Bay Area," especially since it was a statement to SSV, which has never had a San Jose-specific agenda for finding a stadium site.

We've used up the San Jose options. The Bay Area is most likely next.

A hui hou...[/QUOTE]

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Isn't is weird how SierraSpartan stopped posting as soon as he herd that the deal was dead? What's upwith that? Why would anyone wish this? I just don't get this whole ordeal!

13. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the University, it's not supposed to be just business. Universities are not just businesses. They have to behave like that to a certain extent because you can hardly thrive if you don't. But they have to be outside the "just business" mentality to meet the research and education missions handed them by society. Kassing isn't supposed to be the same thing as the CEO of SJSU. He supposed to care about such things as whether the he can create a feeling in 10-yr-old Miguel, 11-yr-old Katie, and 12-yr-old Lee to grow up with the dream of attending San Jose State because they went to Spartan football games and played soccer on SJSU branded youth fields when they were growing up and feel pride in their University before they're even in high school. The Penn State's and the USCs of the world have this. If Kassing is really thinking like a University President should be thinking when he's looking out for the interested of SJSU, he has to put these things in the equation. Maybe he did...maybe that's why he took the meetings in the first place, I've just seen absolutely no tangible evidence of it.

14. Airblair

Airblair Member

Dec 8, 1999
    Redwood City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really; he's obviously concerned only with the SJSU side of things, and once it appeared that SJSU and the Quakes were going their separate ways, it makes sense that he wouldn't come back here.

15. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's weird about it? He's an SJSU fan. This is an Earthquakes board.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So this whole thing died becuase of $5 million dollars a year? Lew should have offered 50 homes to the University.........I mean wasn't hegoing to buil 1500 anyway? One new home as we have discussed in other threads in SJ anyway, is worth at least $1million....if not more.....This deal tanked for 5 million? :rolleyes:

17. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. I just think he's being polite.

I didn't want this deal to work. It was doomed to be suboptimal, cursed by compromise.

Fairgrounds my friends! Write your supervisor today!

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Everyone of us are SJSU fans , I mean none of us would want to see them do poorly.....Give me a break!

19. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should have died because of football lines on the field and a front row thats elevated 5 ft!

20. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you make a specific case for this opinion and how they'll do it either without a new stadium or what alternative stadium plan they have? Obviously I think that no new stadium means growth can't happen because it won't happen in existing Spartan. Maybe someone's made a reasoned case why it can happen in the existing stadium. But I don't see it.

It seems to me that when this fell apart it just closed a pretty big door on saving Spartan football and that happened because Kassing doesn't really care about saving it, it's been a money loser and hurting the bottom line.
    I'd like to know what specific evidence exists to the contrary, even if I do realize it's best for Quakes supporters to move on and let SJSU lay in the bed it's made. It's more just a curosity thing.

21. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    SINCE WHEN?!?!?

How many times did I read in this debate that SJSU should just give up football so that soccer could take over Spartan Stadium?

As many times as on the SJSU boards I read that SJSU shouldn't partner and build a soccer stadium for the 12 fans that go to soccer games.

Look, this so-called "partnership" was doomed from the start. It was adversarial from the word go, and we should be thankful that it flamed out as quickly as it did so that each entity can get on with better arrangements.

What we should be most concerning is that the Murk in it's reportage has declared the entire soccer proposal dead, not just the cooperation with SJSU on a stadium. Read the lead carefully, Barry Witt writes that the proposal to bring soccer back is dead, not just this particular stadium deal. That's some good reportin' there...

22. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Do you have any evidence to support this? No, you don't. Because you don't know the current state of Spartan Football.

23. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The same (or should I say opposite) way YOU know things for sure! ;)

24. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Isn't it amazing how everyone on this board knows everything?

25. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spartacus, that's what he was asking you. Why are you so optimistic about Spartan Football? I see some big challenges there. One season does not make a program and this year might be a challege because the schedule kind of sucks. Best game - Hawaii starts at 5pm on a Friday!

Last year was great, lots of home games and Stanford, Fresno and Boise on the schedule. This year UC Davis, Idaho and the weird start time for Hawaii.

You're an insider, why are you so optimistic?

BTW. Did you seem me at the spring game with my Quakes sweatshirt? I tried really hard to be visible.