Las Vegas is Viable II

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by DANNO49, May 27, 2014.

1. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Yep this coverage, Cofield and Graney, feels a lot like Ziegler’s coverage of the San Diego bid last year.

Old guys getting meager paychecks to light someone else’s lamp.

noel R repped this.
  2. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    So was Qatar

noel R repped this.
  3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phoenix doesnt have a dome in their plans? I thought theyd for sure know they have to go for that.

4. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Last I heard they were having a hard time getting a misting system legislated for their stadium plans due to the lack/value of water in Phoenix, and the contract they have on the tribal land capped any stadium at 10k. So they have the ownership group and fan base but need to find a spot to build a dome.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gotcha. welp, billionaire owner, and Drogba as part owner. They gotta start making noise, Vegas is making it mission critical.

6. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    It’s going to come down to public money, and who has to vote for it.

7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You dont think Phoenix Rising owner wont fully fund it? If he doesnt and asks for city money yeah i think its toast just like any other city. They know they gotta do it themselves.

8. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I was talking about the Lights deal at Cashman. Not sure if it’s a city council vote or a public one.

9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phoenix isn't looking for public money, nor is the stadium on public land.

Their current and future stadiums are on a Native American reservation and they are fully funded courtesy of Goldman Sachs.

10. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I was actually talking about the Vegas bid. But thank you that’s good information. What is holding them back in Phoenix?

11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like they're ready to go. The stadium location and climate may be concerns. Phoenix in the summer makes Vegas look temperate.

12. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Right. So don’t you think they need an indoor stadium in Phoenix?

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The club said the facility is laid out in order to provide maximum airflow and shade (the field is in shadow at 7 p.m.). There are curtains, canopies, a misting system, fans and even “water walls” at the entrances designed to “cool the wind as it enters the stadium.” In addition, schedules can be front- and back-loaded to minimize the number of home matches in July and August."

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/03/15/phoenix-rising-mls-expansion-stadium-renderings

14. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Some of the props would be like first goal scored by which player, will this or that player score a goal and the odds for each. You can normally bet the draw, as well as sides and total goals (usually the over under is 2.5 for MLS matches)

I’m sure they would come up with some creative props as well.

Most books in Vegas have each side and the draw, so three-way odds, the over under, and some will offer +1/2 on the dog for MLS games. You’ll see spreads for European matches, like Man City -2.5 over West Hame or something at even money.

16. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Phoenix, it would be a lot of unproven design if they forego the Dome. And yeah, Phoenix on average can have vegas 5-10 degrees beat on a summer day, and that alone is mind blowing. That said, I think after MLS gets Vegas, I dont think that hurts Phoenix's bid......much. I think theyd still be in it even with vegas. Footprint out west needs to be expanded

17. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    December 1st is six months. Accompanied by this today:

Before anything posts in The Who’s Next thread, I think Vegas is going to give Charlotte a run.

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2019-11-19_23-8-5.png
    And yet some people still don't take American soccer seriously :unsure:

aetraxx7 and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  19. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Yessir, and there we go...

20. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the best argument for Vegas, will end up being the idea that the west needs more representation in the MLS. With so few larger cities out west Vegas will be needed to keep conferences more balanced.

21. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    #1122 Rahbiefowlah, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Yea. Or that we have an investor/owner and a new stadium and a fan base and a brand, like most every other time MLS has expanded.

22. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without the elements you pointed out, yes the bid would fail. But do not underestimate the needs of the league in its whole.

23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    #1124 Rahbiefowlah, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Let me guess, you are not a Vegas native. Let me suggest to you, that MLS, the league as a whole, wants some billionaires spending $500 million or so on brand-related collaborative real estate ventures at this very moment, and isn’t overly interested in freshman geography. Unless we’re still in 2005.

24. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is a Vegas native? I am not a Vegas Native but I am damn close and by the simple fact that I am commenting on this thread should tell you that I am very much a “Vegas is Viable” advocate and dismissing my take is misguided. I am simply arguing that geographical considerations are going to, or should be, considered in MLS’s future expansion discussions.