Landon says the '02 team "was far ahead of" the '14 team

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Karl K, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the current story on MLS part of this discussion, or is it new?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/worldcup/2...al-jurgen-klinsmanns-approach-i-dont-think-we

A selection if the more interesting quotes:

"I think we're all disappointed in what happened yesterday. I think the most disappointing is we didn't seem like we gave it a real effort, from a tactical standpoint. I thought the guys did everything they could, they did everything that was asked of them, but I don't think we were set up to succeed yesterday, and that was tough to watch."

"It's a results-oriented business, and so, results-wise, you can hold your head high," he said. "If you really look at the performances, there were some good performances by guys, some not-so-good performances by guys. As a whole, I think tactically, the team was not set up to succeed.

"They were set up in a way that was opposite from what they've been the past couple years, which is opening up, passing, attacking – trying to do that. And the team's been successful that way. Why they decided to switch that in the World Cup, none of us will know. From a playing standpoint, I think the guys will probably be disappointed in the way things went."

But my feeling as a player, if I'm in that locker room before that game – before the Germany game, before the Belgium game – and the coach walked in and said we're playing a 4-5-1 and Clint [Dempsey] is up top by himself, I would have been disappointed. Because I would have said let's go for it. I want a chance to go for it and try to win the game."

He lauded Tim Howard and said that only Kasey Keller's performance to beat Brazil in the 1998 CONCACAF Gold Cup semifinals compares, in his mind, with the goalkeeper's 16-save performance Tuesday. He also asserted that Kyle Beckerman's presence would have helped the US be a better attacking side, and that the team deserves praise for fighting valiantly in difficult circumstances.

"Michael was put in the wrong position," he said. "He was put in a position that he's not used to playing. He does a better job, as you saw with Julian Green's goal, being in a deeper position. And having someone in a front of him, someone to help Clint also, makes him that much better because he's got more opportunity to pick out different passes, more attacking options ahead of him. I think that was clearly an error."

2. Figo Rules 2000

Jun 18, 2014
    Club:
    Portugal FC
    Maybe LD is not happy because he gave years of service to the NT and now JK is turning over every rock to try and find kids with US bloodlines who have grown up and been trained abroad.

Funny, that LD talks about the US outplaying Germany in 2002. Give it a few more years with JK and the US will be Germany "B".

Dempsey is a great player, the US' most skilful finisher, but outside of him, it was the German contingent that scored the rest of the goals. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of soccer development in the US.

3. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon Donovan is absolutely right.

4. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    If being right about ALL of this = sour grapes, then those are some sour flipping grapes.

I've said a few times in the last 3 or 4 days that due to Landon's nature of answering every question that anyone answers him anywhere, ever, will lead us to learn more about the cut. This is just the beginning, and that's awesome.

5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    From his position at the tip of the arrow. Dempsey was also quite weak. If we go 180 minutes without a goal with Altidore at the tip, he is crucified.

wsmaugham, Fanatical Monk, Berks and 2 others repped this.
  6. Piffy187

Piffy187 Member

Jul 26, 2009
    FL
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ill give you CRC with group D but MEX with group A was a joke. Cameroon didn't even want to come to play unless they got paid what they were owed from their federation, which says a lot. Brazil plays lazy and depends on Neymar too much to turn things up, even their own fans doubt they'll make it any farther the way they played in the group stage and against Chile. Croatia got to the last game vs Mexico extremely tired and looked like they were convinced they were going home after the first Mexico goal and got dominated. GHA>CAM, POR(weakened)=CRO, GER>BRA.

and yes, we did get out of that group of death!!!

Now for the 2002 vs 2014 teams...i think 02 just slightly gets the win.

7. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This '14 didn't get shellacked by Poland, that's for sure. I'd say the 2002 at its best was perhaps better than this team at its best, although both frankly were very, very good. However, the 2014 was far more consistent in being solid, but not stellar. No performances like that quarterfinal, but none like the Poland match either. Even the SK match was spotty, and, well, Mexico is special for us. We know them well and know we match up. Any European team as good as Mexico, and we'd give them too much respect.

8. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon's right about one thing: the 2002 team never had one of their leaders disappear to Cambodia during the qualifying cycle.

He's being a whiny little brat, and he deserves to be booed every time he touches the ball for LAG. You brought this on yourself, you diva.

9. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also see no reason to think that Donovan is finished with the national team going forward under JK. He didn't make this squad for this tournament, but he was in camp. Unless Donovan now simply refuses, I don'[t see JK not bringing him along for the Gold Cup or other matches. After all, for all we know, JK might view dropping Donovan as a mistake himself and might well want to rectify that.

We just don't know what the story is, and I for one am a little tired of speculation on this front. Until Klinsmann explains his reasoning, we don't know.

10. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    Agreed. I wish he stayed fit and didn't take a sabbatical. Then he would have been on the WC team.

Li mu bei repped this.
  12. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    Donovan is done - you can take that to the bank.

Li mu bei repped this.
  13. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I believe he did explain. According to JK Landon was "a little behind" the players who got chosen.

14. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish you guys would stop making things up, distorting history, and asking for free psychotherapy.

But this thread isn't about our wishes; this thread is about an analysis of the team's performance.

SPA2TACU5, Xenimus and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  15. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the Donovan quotes in this evening's story on the MLS web site, I'd have to agree with you. He's not playing for a team coached by JK ever again. Won't want to and won't be invited. A mutual parting of the ways.

Li mu bei repped this.
  16. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly. If it is a small matter of judgments of form, in truth, those judgments change as players drift in and out of form. JK took 23 that made up the best TEAM he thought he had in June 2014. Come 2015, that is likely to be completely different. Davis did himself no favors. Perhaps Wondo pays for his miss, and Altidore continues to struggle. What then when 2015 rolls around?

17. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

God. I wish Wondo had been able to do that.

18. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    Which were comments made by the player who took the sabbatical and didn't make the WC team.

Li mu bei repped this.
  19. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hopeful you can spot the differences between what you said just now and what you said before.

20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    The American Riquelme. We have arrived. A genuine feud between a player and manager.

CeltTexan, kool-aide, DHC1 and 1 other person repped this.
  21. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are all out of our comfort zones...

22. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    After such open criticism of Jurgen, I don't see him ever being invited to play for the national team ever again. Those bridges have been burned. I have never seen a US national team player so critical of a coach in US history. All the power to Landon if that's what he believes. I happen to agree with him.

23. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Could this be the start of a player mutiny? If Howard, Bradley and/or Dempsey come out and criticize Jurgen publically, I think the US Soccer Federation will face a serious conundrum. If the players want Jurgen out, I think Sunil would have no other option.

SPA2TACU5 and deuteronomy repped this.
  24. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Except for the part about the player you know... Ex-national team player.

Li mu bei repped this.
  25. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Could you blame him? I certainly can't.