PBP: Landon Donovan: VFB Stuttgart v Bayern - German Cup 1/27/09 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by HouseHead78, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Willy23

Willy23 Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Connecticut
    he looks to be in some pain. i'm not laughing though. karma.

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Landon would be the first one to tell you that he should have scored as well.

It's not an attack to say that.

3. irust

irust Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    Looks like Gomez just got hit in the nuts :eek:

4. humin12

humin12 Member+

Sep 20, 2008
    Ferguson, Missouri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMFG ROFL!! funniest thing i've seen in football for a long time!
    Lanig hitting Gomez's crotch, classic

5. onlyifvickplayedsocr

Dec 30, 2004
    goal Stuttgart. As a reward he gets punched in the balls by his team mate. Hilarious. Funniest thing I have seen all day.:)

6. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    ld just gave away possession,IMO he hasn't played well.

7. iCEMANGSCCC

iCEMANGSCCC Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Winston-Salem
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

wtf? he had ONE touch to hit it with, the pass was just a wee bit too far back. it was NOT a sitter at all

8. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did gomez's teammate just give him a congratulatory nut slap?!

i've seen the butt pat, but never the crotch. that was just plain creepy. it looked like gomez even doubled over a little bit in pain.

9. iz03

iz03 Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did any one else see that? After the goal the Stugart player got a slap in the junk from his teammate. Please tell me I wasn't the only one to notice that.

Ok good.

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    He can be better. But hasn't been that bad

11. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Um, have you seen the past two pages of this thread? ;)

12. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    absolutely no stoppage time. fulltime.

13. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game over. LD did alright, should've scored that one but oh well they were already up by five.

14. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    he wasn't bad, just didn't really do much and had a pretty good chance he hit wide. He's playing for a 10 million transfer, and needs to impress.

Just my 2 cents, his next appearance needs to be better.

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Now THERE was some vintage LD, picks up a ball, blows by a few defenders, lays off for Ribery...who doesn't really feel like being put through :p

FT.

Good to see Donovan get his first real minutes! And had some nice moments, had only one really bad touch. All in all a good start.

16. irust

irust Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    Wow Donovan played terrible today. He can never make it big for Bayern and I'm sure that they'll drop him before his loan deal ends, I mean did anyone see that sitter he missed? And in addition to that everyone of his touches was bad, I mean how does he not score when Bayern are up by 5? he obviosuly sucks or is just scared of Lehmen. I don't blame donovan though, no American player can ever succeed in Europe because they are American, all other nationalities are just naturally better at soccer and as a nation we willl always suck.

17. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Not up to his usual standards. You can always tell when Donovan is nervous as he tends to shy away from possession and play the ball too quickly resulting in errant passes.

18. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    sure. we always want to see better.

but coming on with your team up 5-0 isn't the most useful environment for truly judging a player, and if they're worth a 10 million transfer.

19. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, for sure, but he probably had to put that ball within a foot or two of the post to keep it away from lehman, and from 16 yards out that's not anywhere near my definition of a sitter. Tried to hit it with his laces, ball rolled to the outside of his foot and ended up spinning away from the goal...it happens to everyone.

20. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    Let's see:

The Stuttgart goal was all Lando's fault, Klinsmann hates Americans, Landon's Bundesliga career is over, USA soccer's reputation is in ruins,

...and the sky is falling. What did I miss?

21. iCEMANGSCCC

iCEMANGSCCC Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Winston-Salem
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL repped.

Wait, I didn't see a smiley. You were just pissing around, right?

22. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as has been said, a 5-0 game is no way to judge a player.

saying that, he looked a tad nervous, a few bad touches, missed a quality chance. but he looked fine; I imagine bayern isn't going to beat everybody 5-0 so he'll get his chances.

i did see Ribery shoot him a few glances. no doubt it's hard for Donovan to fit into a team of superstars.

23. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, I think your first touch there is a little too strong...a little more subtlety next time and you'll really nail it.

Agree with the sentiments of most, played fine but looked a little nervous...tough to gauge when everyone around him had taken their foot off the gas so much.

24. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was okay. Nothing spectacular. Had some good touches and a few poor passes. He and Ribery were not on the same page - he wants to go, go, go and Franck was ready to pack it in. :)

He'll do better. And next time, he'll make that "sitter." [notice sitter in quotes; I don't think it was a sitter, but he should/could have made it.]

25. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My biggest disappointment: I'm typing this from a hotel just down the autobahn from Stuttgart, and I have a car. I could have, in theory, gone to the game tonight. I didn't really know that they were playing until I got back from dinner and turned on the TV. D'oh!