Rumor: Landon Donovan to PSG on loan!

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by new_skin, Aug 21, 2009.

1. new_skin

new_skin Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. austieaust1

austieaust1 Member

Nov 20, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Donovan to Livorno? Discussion.

Per the link in the overall rumors section, this is the full report from 10Sport (http://football.le10sport.com/ligue1/les-news-du-mercato_351376_a)

Après Charlie Davies, la Ligue 1 pourrait prendre encore plus l'accent yankee. Selon nos informations, Landon Donovan, l'attaquant vedette des Etats-Unis et des Los Angeles Galaxy, le club de David Beckham, serait proche de s'engager avec le Paris-Saint-Germain. En plus de la grippe A, dont le joueur est actuellement atteint, l'autre frein à son arrivée se nomme pour le moment... Antoine Kombouaré. Le technicien kanak ne serait en effet pas complètement convaincu du bien fondé de sa venue. Mais Donovan compte également ses partisans au Camp des Loges. Alain Roche en première ligne, qui serait très friand du joueur. Et surtout Colony Capital, dont le siège est basé à... Los Angeles. La possibilité de donner un air américain au club qui l'appartient serait en effet apprécié. Attaquant polyvalent (1,73m), Donovan pourrait apporter un registre différent à l'attaque parisienne. Et le joueur connait déjà l'Europe. Même si ses performances avec Leverkusen, il y a quelques années, ont bien plus marqué les esprits que son prêt pas vraiment convaincant, l'an passé, au Bayern Munich.

Mod update the thread title, or start one anew?

[Mod edit] austi, I've copied your post from the old Donovan to Livorno? thread to here.[/mod edit]

3. austieaust1

austieaust1 Member

Nov 20, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It dosen't say anything about a loan in the 10Sport article, does Ives have other sources???

4. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    I figured he'd be going somewhere on loan, but this is a bit of a surpise.

5. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so theres more than one report about this? if it happens would be a pretty good move. quality club in europe.

6. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I didn't really think of Ligue 1 as the first place I thought he'd go but I like the fact that it's a big club where he will hopefully get a better shot than he did at Bayern.

7. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be a good move, better than Livorno I think. Does anyone know more about PSG's lineup that can weigh in here?
    Will he likely have a good shot at winning playing time regularly?

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This raises several questions...

Why a loan? Is it just till the MLS season starts again, like he did last winter, or a Beckhamesque loan where he doesn't rejoin till July?

If Landon wants to go to Europe - and I think he does and that he should - why not just go permanently? Surely there are teams that would bid for him.

And why would the Galaxy want to go through this AGAIN with their two top players? If Landon is gonna go, send him on his way. But why play half the season without him?

Conversely, if it's just till the start of the MLS season, what does that really do for Landon? I mean, between national team games and MLS preseason, he should get plenty of activity to keep him sharp enough and then MLS should have him fit for the World Cup. So I don't see what this does. I mean, it's not like he needs to be shopped; if after the Confederations Cup teams ought to be interested.

As for PSG, I think it's a good fit. Hard not to like living in Paris and it's a direct flight to almost all national team camps. It's a big enough club where he'd be with good players but not so big where he wouldn't play. And the level of play in La Liga is good, with a nice blend of skill and athleticism, just like Landon is.

If this was a permanent move, I'd be psyched. But I find yet another loan to be baffling.

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Sacre bleu!

;)

10. austieaust1

austieaust1 Member

Nov 20, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on what the coach would consider his best position. At Forward, the preffered starting duo is Guillaume Hoarau (6 foot 4, hold up player, bright future) and Mevlut Erding (nippy little striker with good skill, Charlie Davies replaced him at Sochaux). Hoarau is injured at the moment, so his replacement has been Peguy Luyindula a player that is very similar to Erding. Mateja Kezman is the fourth choice striker. He was signed by the former director, against the wishes of former coach Paul Le Guen, and has not proven to be one of Antoine Koumbares (current coach) favorites, yet. As an attacking midfielder/winger the first choice pairing is Stephane Sessegnon and Ludovic Giuly. Sessegnon is probably the player most similar to Donovan on the squad. He has recently been linked with Everton and Chelsea. Very exciting player and at the same time very frustrating to watch (occasionally tries to dribble through entire defenses and shoots from distance at every opportunity). The way that Koumbare has used Sess. in the first two matches this season is similar to how Donovan has been used by Bob Bradley. He is a right footed player, initially stationed on the left of midfield, but has basically free reign in trying to create. I guess Donovan could be viewed as a replacement for Jerome Rothen, last year's starter at left midfield, who has been linked to Blackburn. Ludovic Giuly has stated the season very well on the right of midfield. Beyond these two though, there is no one proven.

So to answer your question, if Rothen goes as expected, there is virtually no depth on the wings. Landon could certainly win some playing time if this goes through.

11. USAin2006

USAin2006 Member

Sep 7, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because this is getting finalized during the summer transfer window, can Lanny go straight over to PSG after the MLS season is over. I would imagine he would (unlike last time with Bayern, when he had to wait until 1.1).

Can someone with better knowledge of the rules chime in here? Thanks!

12. cklab

cklab Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Dallas
    I think I read in the other thread that he has to wait until January again because his contract runs until December 31st. Edit: Hmm, that was because he might have been sold. Not sure how it would work out with a loan, but I'm sure there was a reason he had to wait until January 1 last time.

I'm liking this move as long as it's for a lengthy duration and not basically setting him up for failure like last time with Bayern Munich. With half a season instead of just a few months, he has plenty of opportunities to prove himself, and there won't be as much pressure to perform outstanding every single time he's on the pitch.

13. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what contract? not trying to be a smartass, but i don't know donovans current contract situation. i was under the impression he had a lengthy one with mls.

14. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    always wanted a reason to get a PSG jersey.

15. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His contract with MLS runs out at the end of this year, but MLS has two option years which I'm sure they will exercise.

16. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    I wonder what position they'll play him. With players like Rothen and Guily on the roster I doubt he be playing on the LM the way he does for the NATS. Actually their midfield is actually pretty stacked with some good players, maybe he'll play forward.

17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    As long as the LA Galaxy let him stay at PSG until Ligue 1 finishes, then it sounds like a good deal. Donovan better be allowed to stay for more than 5 weeks this time.

18. USAin2006

USAin2006 Member

Sep 7, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, how fast has Kezman's stock fallen since he first signed with Chelsea???

19. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i guess it depends on the nature of this "loan" then, and of course, the nature of the "option" years. if this "loan" is really a transfer, i could see waiting until after dec 31, but if it's more of a genuine loan, then the dec 31 date is far less significant, and it's more possible he could go at the end of the mls season.

20. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    I'd rather he wait till January. He'll need some rest.

21. austieaust1

austieaust1 Member

Nov 20, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, Atletico Madrid to Fenerbache to a desperate PSG.

22. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A loan again I think he needs to find a team where he can make a permanent switch really. I wish LA Galaxy were not on their way to the playoff this way they would of sold him now but since they are doing well Landon will have to stay a till January. I think that he needs to make that final jump in Europe and stay there work hard week in and out. Hope it does happen at least Ligue 1 would be good for him.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I do worry a little bit about burnout with Landon. With his Europe-MLS rotation.......plus playing all of the USMNT games............he's playing a ton.

I do like a PSG move, though. Big club.......but not so big that Donovan couldn't get substantial playing time.

If it's a loan.........I bet it will be a loan with an option to buy. MLS might exercise their option to keep Landon around.......just to assure themselves a good transfer fee. There's no point keeping Donovan in MLS if he wants to leave. He's been a valuable and motivated servant for this league, for a long time.

24. American Arsenal

Jun 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he moves until the end of the Ligue 1 season...he wont be playing in the MLS until late July, probably.

He's going to need some time off after Ligue 1 and the World Cup.

25. USAin2006

USAin2006 Member

Sep 7, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you are being sarcastic, but he lasted one season in Spain and fell out of favor at Fenerbache. Given the player he looked like being at PSV -- when he went to Chelsea, people were hailing him as the next big thing in Europe -- I think it's safe to say his career has been a disappointment since leaving Holland (though he had some decent moments in Turkey),