"LAFC"...LA2...whatever

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Regal

Regal Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google Vietnam human rights record, Henry Nguyen LAFC, Nguyen Tan Dung prime minster, Nguyen Thanh Phuong (Vietnam prime minister's daughter). Do your research and ask yourself, "where was the money from?" What was Henry Nguyen before he married the prime minister's daughter?? His fortune came AFTER he married her. How did a Goldman Sachs associate come up with that much startup money? What does being the first McDonald's franchise really mean in a country where the average yearly salary is less than $7,000?

L.A. Native repped this.
  2. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

L.A. Clásico should be hyped to say the least.

3. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #953 MPNumber9, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Oops, nevermind.

Vela's a big deal. Notably he's been keeping Gio on the bench for MEX.

4. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey they finally land one of their targets

5. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep reading people (in comment sections on other sites) talking about the need for a stadium downtown, like LAFC. I respectfully disagree. The recently released Portland video took a swipe at Carson being "13 miles from downtown" too. Well, in a small town like Portland, being 13 miles from downtown probably puts you in a cow pasture. But in a big city like LA- 15 million people in the metropolitan area and spread over a huge geographical area- 75 miles from san clemente in the south to the north of the san fernando valley and 75 miles from santa monica out to san bernardino, 13 miles still feels pretty centrally located.
    I like the fact that the stadium is in Carson, maybe because I live in Whittier and it's easier to get to, but whatever.
    I admire the "march to the match" that happens in some other places, and I get the hipster cool of being dtla, but the reality of OUR lives in this city is that we are spread out. We don't all live downtown, the public transportation sucks and our reality is that we will spend a lot of time in our cars getting just about anywhere. So I like that we have dealt well with OUR reality and haven't tried to be the 'me too' posers just because it looks cool and works in some other smaller cities.

forie, ProudNatRN, 73Bruin and 6 others repped this.
  6. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    The obsession with “downtown” is absurd and this notion there’s some geographic limit of authenticity between the proximity of the stadium to a city’s downtown is such hipster bullshit. Yankee Stadium, which couldn’t be more germane to New York is 12 miles from “downtown” Manhattan, it’s a 40 minute drive or 40 minute subway ride. SHC is 15 miles and a 30 minute drive or a 60 minute bus ride. If someone wants to make the case the surrounding area of Yankee stadium is better suited for pre/post game activity fine. If you want to argue public transport options are better, couldn’t agree more. Call me in 90 years when SHC has had the same amount of time to affect its surrounding area and let me know how they compare.

Beakmon FC, 73Bruin, rokstedy and 3 others repped this.
  7. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd love to watch a crowd of soccer hipsters and hooligan cosplayers march through Expo Park on a Saturday evening.

8. shurikt

shurikt Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stub Hub is actually about 5000 feet from the city limit. People with adorable little roundish blob shaped cities towns have no idea how to even wrap their minds around SPRAWLTROPOLIS! The concept "downtown" is meaningless here in the future. "Oh, you mean that place where all the freeways tangle and the HOV lane inexplicably ends? Yeah, that place sucks. Don't go there."

MPNumber9, Geneva, 73Bruin and 5 others repped this.
  9. natfaninla

natfaninla Member

Jan 18, 2005
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahaha. That made me laugh! Thx, Barroldinho

barroldinho repped this.
  10. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dynasty2013 and Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  11. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was thinking about the inevitable expansion draft.

Normally going in to one of those I worry about who we might lose.

This time I am worried that none of these slugs are going to be taken off our hands.

12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Is it legal for us to just protect 4 or 5 players and put a discount on the others? If so I'd just protect Romain, Romney, Ema, Diallo and Rowe*, all for different reasons. And I would have a fire sale on the rest of the team - "Pick 2, get 1 free!!" "Get Gio in his prime, and for a short time only No Transfer Fee! (Shipping included.) .

Or maybe we should aim higher:

Want to start your own MLS team? We will give you a starter pack of 11 players, a general manager and a president of operations! Every player has played at least one game for LA Galaxy this season so you know you are getting the real deal! No hidden charges - you just take over their salaries and whatever contracts they currently have and they are yours!

*Why protect Rowe? I know fans love Kempin right now but I still think Rowe is the better keeper. The explanation of why would take too long to write and few would believe me anyway. Also note I would be keeping Rowe with plans he would soon be moved to backup.

13. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I doubt that the Galaxy will lose anyone. The draft is likely to only be for 5 players total as this was the case for Atlanta and Minnesota. I don't see any of the unprotected players being in anyone's top 5. Just maybe the Galaxy could leave Pedro unprotected and see if LAFC is stupid enough to take he and his TAM off the Galaxy's hands.

14. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to my city.

Everything HAS to be downtown! Eff the suburbs!

And yet, they won't build a freaking Walmart. Yes, I'm serious.

15. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During Saturday's USC -Stanford game, the announcers mentioned that a player was from "nearby Carson." I thought Expo Park was a zillion, inconvenient miles from Carson?!?!?

16. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  17. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

18. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I didn't invent "hooligan cosplayers". It may have been @Dan Loney but I don't recall for certain.

The term, I mean.

The concept was clearly invented in Seattle.

TrickHog repped this.
  19. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't thought much about these guys. But, if they outdraw us on opening day with their small stadium, I'm gonna be pissed. And, if their reportedly large STH numbers are true, they just might. I'm still gonna be pissed about it because there is no reason for that to happen.

barroldinho and kaburu repped this.
  20. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'll draw big on opening day because they're the new player in town. They'll appeal to Galaxy-haters, commieball snobs who prefer "football" than "soccer", and the casual fans. They'll have to win though and if they don't, their numbers will look like the other clubs.

I'm not worried about Galaxy fanbase or attendance numbers. Hardcore fans will stick with the team even if they may not purchase season tickets or single-game tickets.

Beakmon FC repped this.
  21. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate to ask you guys, but you think it's feasible LAFC might finish higher than the Galaxy next season in the West?

23. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Of course it is.

24. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, considering where we finished in 2017, it is definitely possible if we don't improve a lot.

skydog repped this.
  25. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask me again after LAFC actually has a roster. At this point, with both teams putting together rosters - LAFC from scratch and LAG with only a few core players left from last year - it's anybody's guess what might happen

rokstedy and TrickHog repped this.