"LAFC"...LA2...whatever

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    If the marketing team is still trolling these boards, please do this, but as a video skit. Cut to various people playing FIFA17 as the Galaxy and in shuffle a bunch of sad losers behind the couch/desk chanting/booing at the appropriate moments.

Not sure about the stinger, maybe booing when Gio (in game) scores a game winner, player turns around it’s actually Gio and all the LAFC posers start mobbing him for an autograph. (even better if it’s done in the summer as our big name announcement).

2. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our marketing team doesn't appear equipped to fight back in the PR war they are losing to LAFC.

But they sure are good at putting Pizza or silly birthday hats on photos of our players. And Lettuce. Let's not forget lettuce.

hav77, shelbo, rokstedy and 1 other person repped this.
  3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And apparently good at getting the team reprimanded by the league and giving us another black mark in the super-secret referee's union handbook.

4. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we still on double-secret probation?

rokstedy, TrickHog, The Cadaver and 2 others repped this.
  5. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently not so secret any more.

rokstedy, TrickHog and galvanator repped this.
  6. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Seem to recall earlier in this thread some concerns about Bancorp’s financial standing. Will be interesting to see if they last the duration of their contract.

8. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Wouldn't the naming rights to the stadium be an Asset that Bancorp could potentially sell and have more value as the team gets closer to playing?

9. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe that a professional sports team would give a sponsor carte blanche rights to assign (sell) the sponsorship rights. The team would want to control with whom it is associated. Bancorp may have an out in the deal, or in an extreme case a bankruptcy court might void the deal to relieve Bancorp of an obligation. But can you imagine the uproar if Bancorp could sell the stadium naming rights to some sleezy multi-level marketing operation... Oh, wait...

luigi-55, Baysider, barroldinho and 2 others repped this.
  10. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    LAFC Nguyen “ … And we had to kind of put away the negative history and legacy on what Chivas had done. What they had done the past several years really just destroyed any sort of I'll call equity in what they had left over.

And when we looked at their academy system, looked at their young players, we said, 'Well, there are great assets there.' But even just us trying to maintain whatever infrastructure was there, keeps that Chivas legacy on us. And we're a clean break. People always ask me, 'Oh, you guys are replacing Chivas?' No, we're not replacing anybody. We're a brand new club. Chivas had its own history -- it didn't work out.”

Life comes at you fast.

Probably not clear just from the tweet, but Alvarez played for Chivas USA from 2013-2014 and he’s LAFC’s first official signing.

mbar, The Cadaver and TrickHog repped this.
  11. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Another funny in a long line of weird cognitive dissonance, LAFC fans I saw one lauding Donovan as the greatest of all time last night.

I can’t even begin to imagine how the mental process works. The city you live has a professional team in the sport you love with an owner who has shown to be the most aggressive in the league in making the team the best for the better part of 20 years which in turn led to them acquiring the player you consider to be the greatest American player of all time who was part of 4 MLS Cups in 10 years and that all falls short when a flashy marketing exercise comes along … it’s just so weird to me. Maybe it’s a result of being around since '96, we took what we could get even if that was 11,000 people at the Rose Bowl watching a shoot-out, tie-breaker with kids making $12,000 a year.

mbar, shelbo, The Cadaver and 4 others repped this.
  12. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I suppose it's shiny and new and since it doesn't exist yet, everyone can project their hopes on them. There's a certain appeal to the idea of a 20k stadium full of people standing and chanting, and maybe something like that could even happen.

It doesn't bother me if for some people it's more about the experience than the soccer. No one is arguing that MLS is the best soccer you can watch.

13. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd actually be very interested to have this conversation with LAFC supporters.

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  14. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Agreed, and to be fair it’s not just LAFC fans, I’m always surprised when I see groups of people in the Galaxy supporters’ groups not watching the game and more interested in coming up with clever chants or choreography.

I have to go now, there are some kids on my lawn that need a yellin’

Beakmon FC, 73Bruin, The Cadaver and 2 others repped this.
  15. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Just make sure to yell at them via a clever chant.

16. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    natfaninla, hav77, CakeYear and 8 others repped this.
  17. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boo Herc! I did not like what he said about LAFC and The Galaxy.

18. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did he say?

19. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think if you're kind of jonesing to actually support a local team and you've been bagging on the Galaxy and/or MLS for 10-20 years (depending on you age) it's easier to pick a new team than admitting you were wrong. Given a choice between admitting you were wrong and anything else, a lot of people will pick anything else.

Of course, If I want to support a local team, I'd argue that the LA Galaxy is the best soccer I can watch. And if I want to watch soccer live and in person, I'd argue MLS IS THE BEST I can watch (at least with my time and travel budget limitations ;))

20. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding Lletget's prognosis, he tweeted this:

21. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Well that's just dumb. LAFC might very well burst on to the scene with Atlanta-like credibility or NYFC-like star power or both, but Lleget is not a lynchpin for either of those measures

mbar, The Cadaver and barroldinho repped this.
  22. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They could burst on the scene so much like a bat out of hell that they make Meat Loaf look like bacon bits.

That still wouldn't replace two decades of history and on-field success.

I responded.

Dawdler, rokstedy, ProudNatRN and 5 others repped this.
  23. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herc's tweet looks like classic click bait designed to stir the pot and get his account some action.

24. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't much care for Herc.

I get that he doesn't care for various MLS mechanisms and I think we'd all like to see a bit more freedom of movement and free agency for players.

However, he's spent so much time griping about it that it feels less like a player trying to push for what they believe in and more like a guy bitter that he can't get his way and doesn't have as much value as he'd like either inside or outside the league.

25. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Considering how incredibly un-productive he's been in MLS outside of his run with the Galaxy in 2005....

rokstedy, 73Bruin, luigi-55 and 2 others repped this.