Lady Crew

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Nov 16, 2018.

1. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I have no problem paying the women the same as the men if the contracts disappeared. Of course, the contract is what is important to the players not the equality thing. Those contracts have done more harm to the USWNT and NWSL than good.

shoplifter repped this.
  2. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    #27 Flyer Fan, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    I think their ownership was very open to collaborating with PSV, but PSV basically treated them similar to how they treated everyone: like dog crap on the bottom of their shoe. I'd have to snoop around, but upon hearing Richard Suttle say in an Austin city council meeting PSV would fully fund an NWSL team in Austin, the Eagles' owner sent a letter to Austin's council - and posted it online - describing how poorly PSV treated the Eagles from a collaboration standpoint.

Edit: Here is the letter.

TRUJDUB, catfish9, Tobias C and 3 others repped this.
  3. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    SuperHardRalph says there's a Columbus Eagles rebrand upcoming.

Jaybir and SLSHOT01 repped this.
  4. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm partial to OSU for Women's soccer for my daughter locally (and it's free to boot).

Now would probably still take my daughter to a NWSL game or two for when Julie Ertz or Alex Morgan was in town (her faves)

5. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    I for one, with three little girls, would love if this rebrand is to bring them in line with the Crew Brand and to see them playing at the stadium.

TKyle and Tobias C repped this.
  6. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. I would support this. Weekends are made for soccer!

Or Wednesday, whatever.

7. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the Eagles re-brand.

8. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Depending on what a new ownership group does regarding a training facility - especially if it's a significant complex designed around NFL training camp - that could be a good stadium option for a women's team along with other associated or affiliated teams (like USL, maybe). Looking at the 2018 NWSL attendance, Portland averaged about 17,000, Salt Lake averaged about 9,500, and the rest averaged about 5,200 and below (six teams under 5,000). Portland's an obvious outlier - probably due to the fantastic and even-keeled leadership of known gentleman Merritt Paulson - but the rest of the league's attendance is in-line with what could fit in a typical high school stadium.

9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    No sparkles and I don't see 15 things crammed into the crest with each one needing an explanation. I like it.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  10. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought same thing. A nice training ground with an actual small stadium would be cool. Let High School and colleges use it (maybe even bid on NCAA tournament games (D1, 2 or 3) or Big 10 championships). Good for first round USOC games and absolutely perfect for a NWSL team (or WPSL for that matter). Also open it for when Crew scrimmages college teams. You could easily justify 10-20 or more significant games being played there each year, not to mention the youth academy.

11. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure the NCAA tournament teams bid to host. I don’t know if a non-host location would be allowed or not.

12. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BIG 10 tourney is played at Grandpark. Sure their are host teams/universities, but that doesn't mean they are tied to playing on campus.

13. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s the conference tournament, not the ncaa.

This year I know of no site in d3 that was held off campus. I know several d1 schools hosted until the final stages.

Not sure if it’s a regulation or just done for the ease.

Bill Archer repped this.
  14. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Grand Park is an anomaly if you have never been there. It’s the most phenomenal sports park I have ever been to.

shoplifter repped this.
  15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    In the tournament before the semis, games must be hosted at one of the participating institutions, with rare, weather related exceptions. Akron has been involved in a number of these, including their away game at Syracuse this year, where they did not have time to switch it to Akron. Instead, they played at Colgate while Colgate was off playing at Wake.

stanger repped this.
  16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recall that women's basketball, albeit D1, was at the Mohigan Sun arena in the past (early rounds, which used to be played on campuses). And, of course men's BB tournament games are at all kinds of non-NCAA arenas (and they tend to have a host school, as I recall).

17. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s basketball

18. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been there more times than I can count. I have 3 kids that play. And there are other places like it around country. In Raleigh alone you have WakeMed stadium and surrounding fields and WRAL fields which has a little stadium. Been to ACC and NCAA women's tournament games at WakeMed. In fact I think girls semis and finals are there this yr. The D3 men's I believe is at a little stadium in Greensboro NC this yr as well.

19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Aren't the Crew games vs colleges usually closed-door? I thought it was due to some provision in the CBA. In the old days, they'd let fans come and maybe open a concession stand.

20. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turns out WakeMed is a frequently used site. But not Avaya is also hosting finals is a few years. Also Children's Mercy Park hosted recently. Wakemed is 10,000 seats.

D2 mens & women's championships are at Highmark stadium in Pittsburgh for next few yrs. Slippery Rock is host University.

So bottom line is let's put a nice little 3-5k seat stadium at a training ground on our wish list - we can bring even more soccer to our great city. Screenshot_20181127-203132.jpeg Screenshot_20181127-203010.jpeg

21. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Why not use Jesse Owens? It's about that size and isn't used much in the summer.

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rent. Easier and likely cheaper for the team to open up Mapfre.

23. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    If Mapfre continues to exist once the new stadium is built. But, what if the fairgrounds has other plans for the land?

24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The same would be true for any new stadium--and you might get an attendance bump from it as the Clippers saw (though that bump is slowly diminishing, but still a bit better than when they were at Cooper). It's still likely cheaper than renting out someone else's place--and you get to keep concession money too.

25. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A USL team is needed more and I wouldn't mind if their was some type of collaboration between Cincinnati and the Crew. The same could be done with a Woman's team.

That was all Gregg, he didn't want anyone being able to see his super secret formations. The rules are if they take any paid attendance then the players get some type of appearance fee which killed the Connor Game and Urso game