PBP: La Liga Santander - Jornada 8 | Atlético Madrid v FC Barcelona | 14 October 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Well? Seriously? He's so bad that just cause he completes a pass that it seems he's doing well! He's absolute shit. Playing well is not cutting it for Barca and our idiot coaches play him and worse play him all over the field. They are all at fault. You could almost say Shitmes is the reason ATM scored. Stop defending this useless player. He has no place in Barca.

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'm not saying he belongs at Barca but that doesn't mean we have to repeat the same, robot-like theme in every match thread regardless of what actually happens on the field.

It's okay to admit that Pique had a stinker or that Valverde's subs made an instant impact even if that doesn't fit the narrative. It doesn't mean that Pique needs to get out while Gomes and Valverde should be offered 10-year contracts with Barca.

3. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

So let's stop praising Messi game in game out like robots, deal?

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Unfortunately Gomes, from my recollection, has never given any glimpse of anything outstanding. I don't think anybody can point to any particular play where he has stood out.

Forzabarca repped this.
  5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    "outstanding" is a big word. I know you're Brasilian, but in general I don't think we can judge players like that. I mean one could argue that Jordi Alba has done several outstanding things while someone good and consistent like Busquets has had relatively few, even though Busquets >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Alba.

I'd be more happy if Gomes was steady and consistent in central midfield like he showed yesterday. He looks like a donkey on the wing and should obviously not be there (even though he would've got the winning assist if not for a slow, injured Suarez).

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am not talking about anything flashy. Just something that stood out.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Here are his touches after his role changed yesterday.

https://streamable.com/rt5ds

Gilmango and inswinger repped this.
  8. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Highly entertaining match, and I think from the 40th minute on, the team played better. I get that EV has to try different personnel at the wing position, but c'mon Gomes, away to Atletico? Strange decision.

I liked how the team stepped it up there towards the end of the match. Suarez had a nice goal, Messi could have had a couple. I don't know about you guys, but don't you find that the Busquets - Iniesta - Rakitic midfield isn't dynamic enough anymore? Too much, pass laterally, then back, as though they are playing rugby. The pace of the passes isn't there, save for the one slide rule pass from Iniesta that almost found Gomes near the end of the first half. There is something missing.

I thought when the subs came on the match changed for the better, but EV left Paulinho out of the lineup too long.

I will agree that Gomes was a bit better than a non-factor when his role changed, but really he isn't doing enough, and he hasn't done enough during his time here. MATS came up with a few good saves at the beginning of the match too.

9. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Once he was moved to his normal position Gomes was a good as anyone for that last period . Too many have just written him off far too soon imho.
    He's only a youngster - one of the batch of 22 year olds we invested in last year .

Gilmango repped this.