PBP: La Liga Santander - Jornada 37 | Levante UD v FC Barcelona | 13 May 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, May 13, 2018.

1. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm really disappointed and angry that we gave up the chance to make history with such an awful performance. Everyone was rubbish apart from Coutinho and Pique. Suarez was an utter waste of space and missed an absolute sitter to equalise. We'll probably never get an opportunity like that ever again.

2. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Letting 5 goals past you is a disgrace. Entire attitude was pathetic and disgraceful. EV sure fired up the team. Played for going unbeaten, costing the CL and then losing 5-4 to Levante.

3. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Look at it this way: We won the league going undefeated and by such a huge margin that these last 3 games--Clasico, Villareal, and today--were just fluff, and we still showed some pride and professionalism to almost pull back a 4-goal deficit in just over 30 minutes.

unclesox, Gilmango and condor11 repped this.
  4. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    good ... this coward doesn't deserve an unbeaten run achievement :cautious:

5. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Doesn't mean shit does it? Who cares. No one will listen to that argument. Not that I care but trying to find ways to motivate BS is pointless. They shat the bed just like Roma.

6. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Look at this way: the streak ended today when it really didn't matter except for some bragging points for going a whole season undefeated, or it could've ended next season when we'll need every point. Hopefully this performance knocks whatever complacency was going to set in heading into next season.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Disgrace is being 15 points behind.

unclesox, Gilmango, Rattlehead and 3 others repped this.
  8. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

That's another story.

When they win the CL that 15p is a moo's point.

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Paulinho is still undefeated. That's what matters.

unclesox repped this.
  10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Madrid had a team to compete in the CL and La Liga. They were gloating pre-season with their magic midfield. That's no excuse.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Seems like to make some people happy, Barca should have just lost the 1st game of the season and then not lost until the end. That way people wouldn't be talking about this being disgraceful.

And when Valverde "took it easy" vs Roma he wasn't defending the unbeaten season of La Liga. La Liga was still pretty much up in the air at that point.

Rattlehead repped this.
  12. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    too bad. no unbeaten season there. but we are already the champion so this isnt matter

Rattlehead repped this.
  13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Barca ha$ a friendly midweek in South Africa.

14. miguel9

miguel9 Member

May 1, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It is a luxury to win unbeaten, nothing more, then it is a bonus to win the league unbeaten after already winning. That said we could’ve done better here. Does it really matter after already sealing league victory.... yes, but, still just a luxury.

Gilmango, ShortyMac and inswinger repped this.
  15. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don’t mind Valverde getting sacked now.

Danko repped this.
  16. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    we won the league unbeaten...just happened to lose after wrapping up the season

by my tally it's our 3rd loss of the season in la liga, CL and CdR matches

unclesox and celito repped this.
  17. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    I do

tend to think a double winning manager in his first season deserves a second season

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I will say this again, think of the mess Barca were pre-season because of the Neymar sucker punch. Think of the expectation back then. Think of Dembele missing half the season with an injury. And then look at what the team has accomplished.

Gilmango repped this.
  19. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    EV has done a very good job given the mess he inherited. the one who should be sacked is still Bartomeu.

celito repped this.
  20. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Just watched the game.
    Disappointing that the unbeaten run has ended. :(
    I guess we'll just have to be content with 'only' a Liga y Copa double. Again. :sneaky:

Btw, when Real Sociedad had their unbeaten run ended it happened in the penultimate (next to last) week of the 1979-80 season. Same here with Barca. The only difference was that La Real's lone defeat that season cost them the Liga title.

So the bar has been set for others to chase.

Longest unbeaten runs in La Liga history
    43 - FC Barcelona (34-9-0) J32, 15 Apr 2017 - J36, 9 May 2018 - Villarreal
    38 - Real Sociedad (22-16-0) J29, 29 April 1979 - J32, 4 May 1980
    31 - FC Barcelona (27-4-0) J3, 18 Sept 2010 - J33, 23 April 2011
    31 - Real Madrid (21-10-0) J36, 7 May 1988 - J28, 8 April 1989

Longest unbeaten starts to a season in La Liga history
    36 - FC Barcelona 2017-18 (27-9-0)
    32 - Real Sociedad 1979-80 (18-14-0)
    28 - Real Madrid 1988-89 (19-8-0)
    27 - Real Madrid 1968-69 (16-11-0)

Gilmango repped this.
  21. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    La Liga standings since Paco López became Levante manager:

[​IMG]

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In summary defense was a mess and Levante executed perfectly out there yesterday. They looked like what Liverpool might have done to Barca on the counter.

Mina had a really bad day and he is being crucified in the media for it. Semedo was caught way out of position in the 4th goal and I think could have done a lot better on the 1st and 2nd goals. In the first goal Levante player blows buy Mina who's obviously not quick and Semedo, who is quick and fast, seems to put very little effort to stop the cross. In the 2nd goal Barca were with 10 men as Verm injured and Busquets was playing CB and really messed up by stepping up when he shouldn't have leaving a gap behind. Semedo should have tried a slide to block the shot and instead he tried to body the Levante player off. I didn't help that the mids were coming back in 2nd gear.

inswinger repped this.
  23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

LPB still in third. :sneaky:

Anyway, I guess we should probably re-sign Umtiti. He seems to be the one holding the entire defense together.

24. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    I agree.

The Roma debacle and now this. Messi or no Messi you find a way to adjust last night. Letting 5 goals in is worse but scoring 3 goals in 12 minutes then being unable to score another with all the momentum in the world for the next 25 minutes is pretty damn bad too. Valverde made no attempts at adjustments.

Coutinho with a boss game. Everyone else could have stepped up. A lot of the goals happened because of sloppy passes in the midfield. And the defense looked amateurish a couple of times as well.

Honestly maybe I'm overreacting but I'm so so disappointed. Not as much as with Roma but almost. Making history and being the first team to go undefeated all season would have been pretty sensational. Now we're just league champions. Great but not historical. :(

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yup, its definitely either a once-in-a-lifetime or zero in-a-lifetime thing. Unfortunately its going to be zero for us. That's why its a bit sad. But at the same time it was a nice run and trophies are the priority anyway.