PBP: La Liga Santander - Jornada 10 | Athletic Club Bilbao v FC Barcelona | 28 October 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    [​IMG]

Saturday, 28 October 2017
    20:45 Barcelona Time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

San Mamés
    Bilbao

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PREVIOUS MEETINGS

[​IMG]

SLL 04-02-2017 FT Barcelona 3 : 0 Athletic Bilbao

SCdR 11-01-2017 FT Barcelona 3 : 1 Athletic Bilbao

SCdR 05-01-2017 FT Athletic Bilbao 2 : 1 Barcelona

SLL 28-08-2016 FT Athletic Bilbao 0 : 1 Barcelona

SCdR 27-01-2016 FT Barcelona 3 : 1 Athletic Bilbao
    SCdR 20-01-2016 FT Athletic Bilbao 1 : 2 Barcelona

[​IMG]

VISCAELBARCA

inswinger, Gilmango, puyol and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

One of the most important games of the season.

inswinger and Viscaelbarca repped this.
  3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If there's a place where the first goal could prove crucial, it's at the San Mamés.

inswinger, Viscaelbarca and Forzabarca repped this.
  4. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 Gilmango, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Everyone is well rested, grand once time with the only questions being (1) left back - Alba will start if medically cleared and fit, otherwise Digne; (2) right back - Roberto seems to be the favorite at the moment for his versatility, familiarity with the team, and attacking flair. Whereas Semedo has been impressive for his being an actual right back, with better defense and speed; and (3) 3rd forward/4th midfielder - candidates are many Deulofeu, Roberto again, Paulinho, Denis, Paco, Gomes, Vidal, and Turan.

I predict 1 Alba (once cleared), 2 Roberto (to the dismay of many Semedo/defense first fans), and 3 Deulofeu (Paulinho also very viable) but without Semedo at RB (see 2) I think that they like the speed and width of Deulofeu as a combo RW/very wide right attacking mid.

MAtS
    ---Pique----Umtiti
    Roberto--Busi--Alba
    Deulofeu-Raki-Ini
    ----Messi--Suarez

Two huge games coming up for coach, returning to Athletic where he played over half his time in top level football 170 of 320 matches, and just recently coached for 4 years (plus 2 prior years) and some great results. 2015 Spanish Super Copa, won nearly half of all matches, 102-45-66 W-D-L. Qualified for CL once in most recent stint, UEFA Cup in prior stint. Then back to Piraeus, where in two stints as manager he won 3 leagues and 2 cups and went 92-13-22.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernesto_Valverde These will be huge matches for him and the new team and he'll want two wins but San Mames will truly be a challenge, Piraeus not so much (I hope).

Viscaelbarca repped this.
  5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    This is actually true in this case. The atmosphere will be quite intense in Bilbao if Barca don't shut them up early with a goal.

Too bad we didn't catch them after a Europa League Thursday.

6. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point, but they did play 1 day later than us, yesterday at Formentera in the Balearic Islands, and only managed a draw. But of course they rested many starters, much like us. They are also without 3 talented players, I knew about Iker's injury but Yeray's is way more scary, hopefully caught in time: https://www.transfermarkt.com/athletic-bilbao/sperrenundverletzungen/verein/621

7. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Squad news: Alba IN, Iniesta OUT thigh, Vermaelen OUT hip, Masch. DOUBT with FEVER missed training but going to Bilbao as 3rd CB unless he cannot go, in which case one of two Barca B players will fill that role behind Pique and Umtiti.
    ESPN:
    Barcelona will be without Andres Iniesta for this weekend's game against Athletic Bilbao, but Javier Mascherano will make the trip despite skipping training on Friday with a fever. Iniesta has not trained for the last few days due to a thigh strain and is also a major doubt for Tuesday's Champions League game against Olympiakos. Mascherano has also been unable to train but Valverde has included him in the 20-man squad for Saturday's game against Athletic in the hope that he recovers in time. In the case that he is not able to play, Barca B's David Costas or Oriol Busquets will step in, having both been included in the first team squad for the first ever time. Thomas Vermaelen will also miss the game at San Mames due to a hip problem which he picked up in the midweek Copa del Rey win against Real Murcia.

In addition to Iniesta and Vermaelen, Barca are also without Rafinha, Ousmane Dembele, Arda Turan and Aleix Vidal. However, left-back Jordi Alba has recovered from the thigh strain which kept him out of the last three games and will make the trip to the Basque Country.

So twenty travel, only 18 make squad, for now the twenty are the 2 B teamers plus these first teamers: MAtS, Jasper, Semedo, Roberto, Pique, Umtiti, Masch (fever doubt), Alba, Digne, Raki, Paulinho, Gomes, Denis, Busi, Deulofeu, Paco, Leo, Luis.

So prediction for now the only change is Iniesta cannot start, for me that opens a space for one of 2 players I did not project to start: Semedo - with Roberto then starting in midfield, or Paulinho in Iniesta's place. Of course Denis, or Gomes could also fill in directly for Iniesta, and I would not mind if Denis got the spot, but I don't think it will happen.

So this is what I had before:

MAtS
    ---Pique----Umtiti
    Roberto--Busi--Alba
    Deulofeu-Raki-Ini
    ----Messi--Suarez

and I think that becomes:

MAtS
    ---Pique----Umtiti
    SEMEDO--Busi--Alba
    Deulofeu-Raki-ROBERTO (up from RB)
    ----Messi--Suarez

I think Paulinho will get to play too, probably on for Raki in last 25 minutes.

inswinger and Viscaelbarca repped this.
  8. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't love "SB Nation" who are behind "barca blaugranes" as they mostly rely on unpaid writers to make lots of money in ad revenue with a product that varies quite a bit, but this seemed quotable and was sort of the situation I faced in predicting. But I like my analysis better and don't like them dismissing an Iniesta involved 0-2 win as boring in the least:

TEAM NEWS
    The absence of Andrés Iniesta due to a minor muscle problem made it impossible to figure out which team Valverde will pick at San Mamés. With the captain in the squad it’s easy to know that the lineup would be a 4-4-2 designed to control the game, keep possession, make the game a little boring and try to win 2-0 without any danger or excitement.

Without Iniesta, we have a problem: there is no ideal replacement. Sergi Roberto, Denis Suarez, Paulinho and André Gomes all have equal chances of starting in midfield, so it’s really hard to know who will be picked. There is a chance, and that’s what I’ve gone with, that Roberto and Denis start on either side of Ivan Rakitic and Sergio Busquets in a flat midfield four, with Lionel Messi and Luis Suárez up front and Nélson Semedo at right-back.

There’s also the chance of this being a 4-3-3 with Gerard Deulofeu on the right wing, Messi at False Nine and Suárez on the left, with Gomes/Paulinho in midfield and Roberto at right-back. This is both the most probable and also the worst possibility, so here’s hoping that Valverde is reading this preview and goes with the lineup below.

9. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It seems like Mascherano is not going to make it, he still has fever.

10. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
  11. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    looks like a flat 4-4-2

-------------Suarez----Messi-------------
    Gomes---Busquets--Rakitic---Paulinho
    Alba--------Umtiti------Pique----Roberto
    ------------------TerStegen-------------------

Gilmango repped this.
  12. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, really wanted Semedo and/or Deulofeu instead of Gomes, but the rest of the team is solid given Iniesta's absence, I just don't see a real speedy wide right guy at all, not saying Roberto is slow, but he often tends to cut in earlier when he does make a long run forward.

13. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    or it could look like this:

[​IMG]

14. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    shitmes starting ... yeah not watching this shit , i'll check on the result afterwards.

Forzabarca repped this.
  15. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Shitmes starting in two of the most important away games if the season in some of the most difficult pitches!! EV you moron! Another two points dropped here!

16. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As seems to be the pattern this season, we are asleep in the first half. Jesus wept, what a miss.

17. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Alba is disastrous so far

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Are you kidding me Messi ...

19. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What a goal from Messi!!!

20. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Puuh now get a few more please as long as Shitmes is on Barça needs 2-3 goals. [emoji23]

21. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi, Messi, Messi

22. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Paulinho... 40M€ and you get this? [emoji23][emoji16]

23. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Funny, don't think we have played that well but could easily be 3 up.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Only been able to catch a few mins as my connection is shot right now.

25. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Paulinho is one of the few deserving 40M$ players in the world. I wonder if Messi had a say in the transfer because they seem to be naturally on the same wavelenght.