Korean Youth Players Abroad Part II

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by jsk14, Sep 11, 2013.

1. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #3651 takeuchi, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    agreed. while it is true FBs are now wingers these days (including less emphasis on defending as pressing opponents have become the norm), still the least important position based on few of my readings (also was told).

you can also see it on player transfer values. FBs are the cheapest compared to every other position

edit - not to mention, if you follow some of the trending tactical outlook.. especially if you follow the likes of Tuchel & Pep... FBs are becoming obsolete position (inverted FBs with everything centralized in tight space.. as in conversion of CBs and FBs. a great example is the way a guy like Azpilicueta played under Conte in 3 back system).

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ations-behind-pep-guardiolas-man-city-success

2. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Still had CB on other side. And Pavard got all the praise despite being a CB showing low hurdle. Get upfield, send in a cross.

I think Lahm is more a case that you can have smart players out wide rather than traditional middle. Eriksen doing same doing a tens job out wide. But Poch shows how much you can get out of one trick pony like Trippier.

3. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Compared to other positions, it appears that FBs are less essential. I would also say that it's overreacting to say that you can't play good football without good FBs.
    However if we think backwards, if you miss good fullbacks, the CBs and LM/RM will struggle more. It's very important for the balance to have a FB who can both attack and defend. If he can do one thing well, it's also okay. But we've been missing good FBs recently with a few exceptions (PJH). KMW or LY hurt the team more than they helped imo. That's why this discussion even exists.

4. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    piesofmeat314 and nmssis repped this.
  5. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  6. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
  7. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    something fishy about a top club in croatia collecting unproven prospects from a nation they never had any previous success with. club also had some suspect dealings in recent past

8. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Wrong thread but related, Kiu posted that he was going over to Croatia too, probably looking for a job.

9. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    If you've watched Man City this season, you'll know that Pep is looking to use overlapping FBs again. Also not sure why the distinction matters. An underlapping FB is still a FB. How on earth does that make them obsolete? Bad FBs will lose you games, just as in any other position. Just look at Liverpool and Alberto Moreno. Good FBs will give you more security on flanks, lessening the need for CBs/CMs to be dragged out of position, and expand your attacking options.

10. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    But nothing compared to bad CB or DMs (see JHS). The amount of flaws even great clubs tolerate at FB are greater than any other position.

Frankly, I think a lot of the defending issues of the modern game is trying to ask too much of CBs now and expect them to have the ball skills of what we wanted out of CM.

A top class FB is so rare that we can count the number of active ones on one hand. It's a bonus to be so lucky as to have one, not a prerequisite of the game.

batumchange2 repped this.
  11. cappuccino_kid

Oct 23, 2001
    Charlotte NC
  12. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    pretty sure paula deen only appears on food channel

13. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #3663 takeuchi, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Am a Liverpool fan.. I know all about the club.

As for FBs in general, I was referring to the position in general. Traditional role of FBs are disappearing. FB/CB positioning is converging.. ultimately becoming CM/DMs more or less with 2-3-5 or the W-M formation being popular among top managers (Klopp, Pep, Tuchel and so forth). The emphasis is on gegenpress (counter press in english) with overloading the offensive end. In terms of defending the "flanks", it is usually (even at Liverpool under Klopp) the DMs and CBs (or in 3 back system, converted inverted FB) covers the flank til the wingers or wingbacks return to their position.

edit - importance of FBs playing much more centrally has risen too. many.. are converted FBs from CM/DMs. Lahm was able to play as CM/DM under Pep.. TAA (Liverpool) is CM by nature as he developed at Liverpool youth.

14. kimchipride

kimchipride Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Aug 22, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Anyone know how Kim Roman is doing these days? It looks like he's playing for Pohang Steelers but is still uncapped at 21 years of age. Is he any good and someone KNT can use in the future?

15. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    We have better youngsters. Too bad I also had high hope for this guy.

16. HojuSaram

HojuSaram Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Melbourne
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Sons of Thunder repped this.
  17. wrecklesssoldier

Feb 20, 2005
    HojuSaram repped this.
  18. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Does that mean he can be included if someone else is injured and becomes ineligible?

19. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    Lee can be included in the match squad under any circumstance, if the coach wish to do so.

Sons of Thunder, nmssis and HojuSaram repped this.
  20. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    How does LKI stack up to Ferran Torres in terms of talent?

21. wrecklesssoldier

Feb 20, 2005
    I think so

22. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    tbh i have no idea (and have been asking myself the same question), but i'm just personally hoping LKI can make his La Liga debut before December... because that's when Ferran debuted last season LOL

23. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yea was thinking the same. Ferran Torres is a only yr older than LKI so if LKI is as talented, I was hoping he could debut this yr.

24. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    JWY made the Bayern Champions League roster. #20.

[​IMG][​IMG]

25. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Link?