Korean Youth Players Abroad Part II

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by jsk14, Sep 11, 2013.

1. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    goal scoring >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> whatever the hell fullbacks do nowadays

i will take one ugly goal over a five star performance from a fullback

2. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    can't take good defense for granted

3. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Send some more kids to Valencia. They produce left-backs like no other

nmssis repped this.
  4. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    :rolleyes: full-backs are as important as any other position on the pitch, arguably more so than many others given how directly they influence both attack and defense. A top-class full-back is rare for a reason. I would kill to have a great full-back emerge from Korea.

wetcrispy and aeh1991 repped this.
  5. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    top class fullback like who? dani alves? marcelo? philip lahm? any of them would instantly be the greatest player korea ever produced. what is the likelihood of the next dani alves coming out of korea?

the game has evolved to the every team defending with ten men and counterpunching. on defense fullbacks have to set themselves to be an extra body the opposing forwards have to get through. on attack they are asked to position themselves to stop opposing players from achieving a successful attack. its not a coincidence that clubs at the top of the football hierarchy go through different fullbacks every season wondering why each one was just as unimpressive as the one before. fullbacks, talented or otherwise, today are placed far too deep on the pitch to shine. those who do are incredible outliers

ignoring recent changes in the game, goal scoring and goal defending have always been the most important part of the sport. these are the factors that bring changes to the scoreline, you know the shit that actually counts. fullbacks arent really essential part to either. these are the jobs of the strikers, goalkeepers, and central defenders. if youd take a 'top' fullback over a top keeper or a top goalscorer you are either delusional or lying to yourself. like i said earlier one ugly goal counts for more than a five star performance from a fullback

6. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    You need good players on every position, regardless of the importance (besides that I dont even agree with you). Good CBs dont make a good defense. It's the collective work as a team that decides if a defense is solid or not. And fullbacks definitely are important, otherwise our CBs would struggle. Besides that, I dont even expect an attacking FB like Marcelo. If we got two solid defenders on each flanks I would be very happy. I miss the days when we had LYP and CDR. Lee Yong (defensively) and Kim Min woo were two of the worst players of the WC. And ironically, with good fullbacks (who can cross, unlike our WC FBs) you can also score better.

Ice cube repped this.
  7. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    to achieve 'good defense' it takes team effort everyone knows that. point was good centre halfs keep goals out. its the same thing on the other end. if you want fluid attacks the whole team has to be on top of their game. a goal scorer will get you goals even when his team isnt clicking. fullbacks dont do nearly as much to affect the scoreline. this isnt an opinion. its a fact. why would anyone try to challenge this

8. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Its definitely not a fact. Fullbacks are often considered the most important position in the modern game. On attack, they are required to be technical dribblers and passers that control the game from the wings, and on defense, they’re the ones tasked to track the likes of Neymar. Your interpretation of the fullback is a couple decades outdated bro.

Ice cube and aeh1991 repped this.
  9. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Not true at all lol.

Ice cube repped this.
  10. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht

Marcelino thinking about calling Lee Kangin for Atletico Madrid match (first league match)?

11. the rainmaker

the rainmaker Member

DCFC
    Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Glad LSW had the limelight, sparing Lee (Gang In) with unnecessary attention so early on.

Edit: realized they're both Lee's :thumbsdown:

12. wrecklesssoldier

Feb 20, 2005
  13. Saba Risto

Saba Risto Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    I have been away for more than two weeks. Binge reading this thread has left me with goosebumps and a racing heart. God I love this kid

Sons of Thunder repped this.
  14. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Marcelino's an excellent manager. Really excited for LKI

15. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    nmssis repped this.
  16. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Let's just hope LKI continues on his skyward trajectory this season.

17. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    #3642 aeh1991, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Despite the fact that I am also very looking forward to see LKI's development this season, you should be aware that Valencia just signed Cherychev and is close to signing Guedes as well. Not saying he won't get his chances, but I expect him to play in Valencia B for most of the season, while training with first team 1-2 days a week. It's still exciting to know they have big trust in him.

18. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It's not like we expected anything more from this season. But the fact that the head coach is requesting him to train with the 1st team all year is already gravy on top. Nowhere to go but up for LKI this year.

aeh1991 repped this.
  19. Uranusisnext

Uranusisnext Red Card

Grêmio
    South Korea
    Aug 16, 2018
  20. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
  21. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    nmssis repped this.
  22. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    Without good fullbacks you have absolutely no chance to play good football or being a top team. Nowadays fullbacks are like wingers, the quality required to be a top fullback is extremely high, compared to decades ago.

23. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    not to drag too far off topic but past two WC winners had converted CBs as FBs. Of course in the more complex world of club football, the demands on FBs are higher and the great ones are of course game changing to get relative quality vs opponents in a limited talent pool, but a good manager can make do with FBs who can do one thing well (e.g. defend or cross or pace).

killaorca and Uranusisnext repped this.
  24. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    That's true, but in WC14 Germany didn't look good that way and were much better with Lahm restored to RB.

25. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    the most important aspects of the game: goal scoring / keeping goals out
    fullbacks do: neither
    number of teams that managed noteworthy accomplishments without a fullback/wingback: many
    number of teams that did it without a top goal scorer: very few

remind me the last time any of you had your best player playing as a fullback in playground games. why are you expecting the countrys player nurturing program to behave any differently