Klinsmann to transition to younger players. Vets to get a break.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheHoustonHoyaFan, Jul 3, 2014.

1. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for the young players on the team, Johnson walked away impressed from his first few days of practice and recalls how he watched Morris score against the U.S. World Cup team in a scrimmage in California.

“I’m kind of impressed. They’re all pretty good, quick. I saw Jordan also in Stanford already. We played against him in a scrimmage. He played pretty good against us," Johnson said with a laugh. "That’s why I think Jurgen called him in. They’re all young, talented players. They have a lot to prove.”
    http://www.americansoccernow.com/articles/fabian-johnson-on-his-u-s-role-i-have-to-step-it-up

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  2. StrikerX4

StrikerX4 Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Lawrence, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fan concept of "deserving" is one that just doesn't make sense. The whole point of having a coach and scouting team is so that the best talent that can help the team win is selected. Based on the above definition of deserving, all we need is a spreadsheet and any of us could pick the team.

Not every choice that Klinsmann picks works out, but measuring them in terms of "deserving" isn't useful.

cnaw, onefineesq and Martin Fischer repped this.
  3. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he called in Morris and does not play him.

Who do you think needed to train and play more?

Shea or Agudelo? That is right ...... Klinsmann called up Morris and not Agudelo. And we can see how well Shea played today.

Calling in Morris was a waste of a call up.

4. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah because Stanford needs him for the college soccer playoffs. :rolleyes:

5. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Cropper, Rubin, or Wood? Why not bitch about them not getting playing time either?

Honest question, does anyone know where the hell Agudelo even is on the planet? Dude's been out of soccer for longer + more recently than Brek Shea, which is sad as hell.

6. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe JK doesn't want to spend his time on a guy who would rather watch Dragon Z than play professional soccer. ;) But seriously, I don't know Aguedelo's story and it might not reflect badly on him if it was fully known, but looking at the known facts it is absolutely nuts to criticize JK for not calling in Agudelo at this point in time.

7. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still confused as to why Klinsmann likes Shea so much.

He as shown nothing of note for two years.

adam tash repped this.
  8. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can't disagree with that. (that Agudelo lives on Pluto these days)

Cropper, Rubin and Wood are all playing abroad .... any one of them could have been on the pitch instead of Shea.

USAMEX10 repped this.
  9. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he *likes* him so much as sees him as the only potential fit for the speedy winger spot. I think calling him is purely hopeful until a better option for that role shows up.

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now, you or I might be better for that role. Shea just isn't a very smart/good player. We could play a host of unproven kids who would look better than him in ANY role right now.

11. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ya no more Shea or Wood til they show some consistency at their clubs... and Green should be a super sub not ready to start yet. I think Gyau should get a start with the A team. Rubin should get more looks as well.

MLS guys who HAVE to get a look: Serna, Rowe, Shipp, Finlay and maybe Gil. The latter 3 are probably better Jan. Camp contenders.

Their not exactly young but Nguyen and Silva have to get looks too.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree wit hNguyen, but Silva is waaay too inconsistent--this coming frmo a DCU fan.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If you only take one, you take Nguyen. That guy is on another level right now. If you were watching last nights Revs-SKC game you would have thought Lee Nguyen had just been at the World Cup and not the ineffectual Graham Zusi.

adam tash repped this.
  14. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yep. I would play him on the wing no problem. If I had to use him in the game yesterday, I actually would have him start in place of Green, who I think still has some ways to go. At 19 though, he's pretty good so far.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  15. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those down on Corona.

"I asked players like Mix Diskerud, Joe Corona, Jozy Altidore to take the responsibility in their hands, and to guide that young team in Prague, and that's what they did. They stepped it up. Winning in Prague, winning against the Czech Republic, who barely missed out on the World Cup in Brazil, is a strong statement."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...insmann-planning-ahead-turning-new-generation

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh. I believe at one point last cycle Juergen said something like "every pass will go through Jose Torres"....that didn't last long. Corona needs to produce, or the callups will stop

Marko72 repped this.
  17. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He was the weakest out of the midfield, had some sloppy traps and nervous patches--but he didn't look TOO bad. I just think everyone was playing really great in that first half and he happened to be one of the weaker ones. Still played decent though. It looked like nerves got to him. I want to see more. I thikn he has potential, he just needs to mentally catch to the euro guys who play at a faster more athletic pace. He has great technical skill, but I could tell the kid was nervous out there because his mistakes were of a person that had some confidence issues.

Pl@ymaker and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  18. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense but that mlssoccer article is very generic and fluff. I thought the Czech Rep. friendly was excellent because younger players were given a chance and the bonus that they won. But that article is like no news today, need to write something to fill space etc. Very general.

19. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann continues to do what he said he would with roster #2 of this new cycle:

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION
    GOALKEEPERS (3):Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
    DEFENDERS (7): John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Greg Garza (Club Tijuana), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Tim Ream (Bolton Wanderers), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)
    MIDFIELDERS (6): Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Joe Corona (Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake), Julian Green (Hamburg), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt)
    FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Joe Gyau (Borussia Dortmund), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United FC), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich)

20. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #146 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    Jurgen Klinsmann: “Our approach to putting together the roster is mainly to see younger players coming into the Senior National Team environment and proving their point. We want to continue the energy that was created in Prague last month when we won against the Czech Republic and see how far these younger players can take it.

“We left quite a few of the experienced players out because we want to give the younger players a chance to break in. Guys like Kyle Beckerman, DaMarcus Beasley, Brad Davis, Chris Wondolowski and others are not in this roster, not because they aren’t part of the National Team moving forward, simply because we want to see the youngsters make their point.”

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/10/06/09/25/141006-mnt-v-ecu-jk-qa

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I wonder what Klinsmann sees in Bobby Wood.......................................

22. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    #148 Cannons, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    First - you cannot believe a word JK says. How does his "strongest team possible" line play with the latest spin?

Second, I am totally pissed that he will cap Yedlin to help his work permit problem but WILL NOT give Juan A a bit of help. He is a very good player that JK shuns.

I think the real issue here is MLS playoffs. No team fighting for position would want their stars going to this meaningless game. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on Not calling Lee N. for this game but if he shuns him when there is no conflict between club and country then I will lead the charge for his replacement.

I have serious doubts about his ability and his player selections and want a coach that believes in this country and the players it produces. I fear JK is not that coach. Julian Green will never be as good as Lee N is now but JK will continue to push that square peg in the round hole. And Altadore? hes a bench warmer for his club. No problem with a callup... they don't even play him. He will play and not score ... again... but we will hear all about holdup play...Such crap

23. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Plays in Germany.... must be good :whistling:

24. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all about the snazzy 1860 Munich kits! ;)

[​IMG]