Klinsmann to transition to younger players. Vets to get a break.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheHoustonHoyaFan, Jul 3, 2014.

1. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the full transcript quote:

On which players over 30 he sees being part of the team moving forward:
    “There’s no, ‘Thank you and bye.’ It’s always defined by performance, by what you bring to the table. I think there’s a good thing about going into the next year is that we have the opportunity to see a lot of young players come into our platform, into the senior team and we can give them time to show where they’re at right now. So the more experienced players, we can tell them now for the next couple of months, listen, ‘Play in your club environment. We know you inside and out. We know what you bring to the table.’ But, maybe right now for the next couple friendlies that come up and for the next year, we want to see the young players grow and see how far they can make it. Then obviously comes the Gold Cup. We want to go to the Gold Cup with the strongest team possible. Then it’s going to be similar to a World Cup or the last Gold Cup; we want to play our best team possible. We want to see how many of the more experienced players are still in it and how many of them are out. This transition year now coming up is definitely an opportunity to bring a lot of young players through the ranks and see what they are capable to do already.”

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/07/02/18/42/140702-world-cup-quote-sheet-jk

2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. noiateerickson

Apr 26, 2008
    I didn't call DW lazy. The original poster referred to JK's call-ups of any German with an American passport as "lazy". I asked him which call ups those would be, considering JJ is the best field player in our current pool, Fabian is not far behind, and Brooks and Green scored 2 of our 5 world cup goals...The only call-up I would consider lazy is DW, because I have never been high on his performances with the national team

4. dundee9

dundee9 Member

Jan 13, 2007
  5. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Quits on teams to find himself
    Come back fat and sloppy
    Leaks emerge to press
    If this is true, then along with Brooks, Green, and the changes he plans in implementing to our youth system, Klinsmann is clearly earning his paycheck imo. People can scream and shout all they want about LD decision or the Altidore backup and other problems but his hand in recruitment and player development could end up shaving years off of our quest of a deep WC run. I felt that our weaknesses are in the midfield but if we can get a few pieces for the midfield with the creativity, touch, close control and vision to do battle with the world's elite then our grit and determination will carry us to the top. I am truly excited about the next few years of USSoccer and I enjoyed our run in the cup regardless. We were beaten up but not broken. I bet Ghana, Portugal, Germany, and Belgium are still feeling us at this very moment.

Namdynamo and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  6. MSUDuo

MSUDuo Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Missouri
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dundee9 repped this.
  7. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My apologies, I misunderstood your post.

8. dundee9

dundee9 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Thanks.

It kind of irks me when ESPN (and other sports media) use the term phenom when it comes to soccer prospects. Lebron James coming out of high school was a phenom. What makes Joe Gyau a phenom exactly? He's 21 and trying to break into first team football. I'm not knocking the guy but phenom?

Ictar and morange92 repped this.
  9. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :)

That'd actually be such an awesome name. Nonstop puns forever.
    "he lacked conviction"
    "caught in two minds: yes? no?" (and everybody groans)

"oh, a sub is up ... could it be?"
    (you think these are bad, imagine when the poor guy gets married)

Way better than "ado", which works in only one pun ... and only once.

10. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Green, Mix, Aaron Johanssonn, Yedlin, Brooks, Fabian Johnson, Altidore, Bradley, Guzan, Chandler, Gonzalez, Cameron and Besler all have a good chance to return in four years.

Add to that we're currently looking at as possibilites:
    Zelalem
    Corona
    Trapp
    Farrell
    Nagbe
    Boyd
    Joya
    Rowe
    Shipp
    Gil
    Palmer-Brown
    Powers
    Fagundez
    Hedges

There are a lot more options but these are the ones I'm interested in seeing more of off the top of my head. I'm sure Klinsy will dig up even more dual nationals. We just need some leaders to step up between now and then.

11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Stanko, Packwood or Hyndman?

This is why I don't pay for insider anymore. It's crap.

BTW, Gil has hit a rut. ESPN seems to be talking about the prospect he was rather than the prospect he is. Have people watched him this year? Not all that impressive.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    This is a permanent break. Sort of like this -

beerslinger23 repped this.
  13. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players have ups and downs/ Maybe he hit a wall and is working to break through it.

Gareth bale had his struggles too at a young age.

give it time.

14. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    it was obvious in 2005, 2006, 2007, and so on.

15. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    if those veterans want to be named to the final 23 going to a world cup, then yes possibly. if those vets are being phased out, and get some games to pass on knowledge and provide role models to their replacements that are at the same time being integrated, then its less important.

Ictar and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  16. terps

terps Member+

Dec 27, 2009
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Erick Torres with the bicycle kick goal today:

[​IMG]

17. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    That's not really a bicycle kick. But still a nice goal.

18. pichichi2010

pichichi2010 Member+

Oct 24, 2010
    In your nets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the thread title is misleading, s/b: Klinsmann to transition to younger players. Vets to get dumped

19. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing that makes this even more impressive is that it was a 93 minute stoppage time goal to put them up 1-0. I think only Dempsey even thinks to try something like this on our current team.

20. sMiLeYz

sMiLeYz Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Erick Torres is part of the Mexico U20 squad.

21. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It's a concern but I think we'll be OK. Bradley (yeah yeah, but really he had one awful game against Ghana and was one part of an overall team breakdown at the end of the Portugal game), Fabian, Yedlin, Jozy, and Guzan will all be around through 2018 at least and that's not counting the younger guys that could step up or dual nationals that could come into the picture. Also, I'm confident that between Gonzalez/Besler/Brooks/Cameron/EPB/O'Neill we'll be able to settle on a quality CB pairing with at least 1-2 good backups.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  22. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    What will be interesting is how young. Guys approaching their mid-20s or 21 and under types?

23. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    The next four years of watching Klinsman will be really fun and interesting to see him develop the younger players.

24. CTRef

CTRef Member

Jun 2, 2006

No chance of that whatsoever.

25. 21st Century Pele

Apr 16, 2014
    Wait, our last Gold Cup team was the best team possible?