Klinsi rejection: the real reason according to ESPN espanol this morning

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by MightyMouse, Dec 8, 2006.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a 10 year old league trying to establish itself.

Once again, people need to understand that the Fed's interest and MLS' interest very often coincide.

Very often, but not always.

2. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    what worthy coach would want this job IF this is the issue?

3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

that's a great point.

USSF puts itself in very diffucult situations by trying to appease everyone -- we'll play in the CA and the GC to get the experience, but we won't raid MLS or wear out the Europlayers who should be on a break for part of their off-season.

Bob Bradley says he's up to that task, JK obviously thought better of it.

being the USMNT coach is no day in the park. and if it were, you'd be tasked with walking many big dogs, with most of them pulling you in various directions (and often leaving big piles of crap for you to deal with).

4. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    jack bell writes Bradley is the interim coach (that is a fact as SG today says the same thing).

trecker said JK would be announced as coach. i don't see the support for trecker's original "story" -- which was that everything was in place and would go through. obviously, trecker had it wrong as JK removed himself from the candidates list.

6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Gulati has assured us that he can properly handle any real or potential conflicts of interest, and I think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

As he said in August*:

"We have started talking to people in serious discussions now, both domestically and abroad," Gulati said recently. "It is a continuing process, and we are not in a rush. The team will probably have one or two games in the fall in which an assistant coach could take the team. But it is more important to get the right person than to do something quickly. It is not critical that we name a coach in a month or two. The people we are talking to, some of them are currently working in the league [MLS] or abroad, and our timetable and the framework for the process are flexible. It could happen by October, November or December.''

:eek: My mistake, I meant this quote:

"This is a worldwide search. But you never know if you've chosen the right person until after the fact. That is one of the reasons why we are taking our time. If you do this the right way, you do not have to do it very often.''

We won't know if SG has chosen the right coach until after the 2010 WC, so I think we should reserve comment until then.

Lastly, we won't know if SG himself has done a good job or not for many years, but I fully expect him to be enshrined in the US Soccer Hall of Fame. He's on the Hall of Fame Board, and that's a conflict of interest, you say? Shame on you! SG would never vote himself into the Hall of Fame - he would properly recuse himself from the vote.

Blue skies, shining at me ...
    Nothing but blue skies, do I see ...

----------

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=375834&root=us&cc=5901

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=391373

7. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    ok. mods- please lock/disallow any threads/posts that discuss the national team coach.:rolleyes:

8. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    Maybe Klinsman knows that the usa only has limited talented players lol and remember he likes to win so he probably knew it would make him look bad! lol another screw up from ussf what can you say

9. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    then why even begin the negotiation? but it could be a private justification.

10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I don't what we can say but at least we can say it coherently.

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Not to be a stickler, but I don't think we'll really be in a position to judge until we have the benefit of hindsight, say 20-30 years from now. I say let's wait and let time take its course. Perhaps we could both lock and sticky this thread and then reopen it in due course.

12. guyy

guyy Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Americah
    wait wait wait... this is klinsmann we're talking about ... he played at top european flight clubs while playing for the German nats.

He wouldn't expect the Euros to make such a big commitment of both tournaments.

More than likely he wanted free reign over player choice.... either from MLS or from the Euro based players. MLS which has effective control of the USSF has a stake in this and said 'no go', you go thru us and we approve or disapprove of your player choices.

hmm that doesn't make sense. haha. (?)

maybe it was the whole seperate NT program AND the appt. of all new coaches for USSF youth programs. Which would of course probably cost USSF a Mil easily besides klinsmann's salary.

This has to be more about authority than money IMO.

13. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    yikes. just for the record, i was rolling my eyes.

14. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seems like a weird sticking point. i mean, one of the reasons everyone likes JK is 'cause he knows the "American system", complete with all its problems, like having tournaments in the middle of MLS and the problems with Americans who play in Europe needing time off in the off months. He is suppposed to be copmletely familiar with these problems as he is alleged to already understand how it works over here, including the logistical nightmares.

How this could be an endpoint in negotiations doesn't make a lot of sense.

O well.

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'm just about always rolling my eyes. I need a smilely that tells people when I'm being serious.

Thread unlocked and unstickied ... carry on!

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The only good part about this digression. ;)

17. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    This doesn't make sense to me. FIFA indicates that clubs have control over players except for particular dates or FIFA approved events in which case the NT can demand their release.

Bruce Arena didn't have to ask for approval from MLS to get players in the past. There is only one example of I know of where an MLS club refused to release players (Hankinson with Colorado) and even then, it was he refused to release Mastroeni early. What players get called up and who calls them up has never been MLS' call.

Now it's plausible that he wanted MLS to "stand down" during the GC and Copa. But that isn't what the ESPN article said--b/c the teams are already chosen by the time the GC happens (ditto with Copa). Standing down during training camp makes no sense either.

Again, I'm sure it wasn't about money. But the argument about youth coaches doesn't ring true to me. USSF has always demanded that the NT coach be the head of the program. That person is then consulted or asked for who should hold various U-whatever spots. In fact, a bone of contention for some previous candidates and many BS posters is that USSF asks the NT coach to do to much: that the coach should just coach, not be the selection guy for the U-teams and the determiner of a national scheme and go around speaking to clinics and "A" license meetings and ODP camps to inculcate those folks on what they should be producing/selecting/grooming.

18. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    what a sad claim for a victory amidst all the losing

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Nah, Arena has always played ball with MLS. Hankinson was one exception.

Otherwise, Arena released players (Dempsey, Noonan) from the Gold Cup in 2005, so they could play for the Revs. I also recall Beasley playing both ends of a doubleheader once and other players like Reis flyng to and fro camps.

So, this is not a ridiculous stumbling block. If Klinsmann wanted 15 "best" MLS players for essentially a six-week camp/tournament thing, then both points have a strong motivation. Klinsmann wanting to have whoever he wanted and MLS not wlling to give up their star players for such large portions of the season.

But I don't think this had anything to do with the Euro based players. This was simply the case of JK demanding that USSF grabbed whoeever he wanted off MLS rosters for any length of time he desired - even if he wanted longer camps before the bigger tournaments - and them declining to play along.

Consider his point - if Arena could bring Rico Clark after his injury for six weeks before the WC, maybe he doesn't need to rely on JOB anymore. But if USSF defers to MLS/Dynamos/Kinnear for this, then Klinsmann is bereft of true control.

This doesn't happen in Europe due to the sanctioned dates but the club coaches bitch nonetheless. With MLS's summer schedules, the scheduling conflicts are impossible to avoid.

Personally, I would take Klinsmann's side here but MLS is a business also.

20. If you read my translation of an article about Klinsi, you would know that he only wants the best available to perform. In that there is no room for negotiations, to him it is all or nothing.

21. JBSJBS

JBSJBS New Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Here's my thing - i hear you - what bugs me is the schedule because a lot this is related to our august-november season. I have been advocating for years (okay telling my friends over beers until they get annoyed with me) that MLS should mimic the German league and start early (late july or early August) when NFL hasn't really started and everything is really in a sport lull apart from baseball and every four years it would be a quick follow to the world cup when interest generally goes up. then play to christmas and then drop out for a month just like in germany. they do it because it is too cold and we do it for the same reason where applicable and also because lets face the fact that no sport especially soccer (football) will compete agains college bowls and/or the NFL playoffs.

I know this is getting long winded so you get the point. it would allow for summer tournaments and we would have no problems with releasing the players apart from the perenial club/country arguments that all leagues and national associations have to deal with.

as we move to soccer-only stadiums, a schedule shift should be the next priority in my view.

i just watched that Deutschland ein Sommermarchen preview and man i wisdh he was our guy.

he is a little corny but i think we could use some self-belief. I hope this can be reversed.

22. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    After the WC what did we all say? That everyone is going to have to fight for their positions and we need someone who isn't afraid to play new guys.

By rejecting Klinsmann's request to play who he wants to play basically says that the USSF are not committed to any sort of change.

My conclusion: if this is the case then it doesn't matter who our coach is.

23. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    I do think time is your friend on this issue. They'll eventually have to do SOMETHING to tie into the international calendar. That being said, MLS has crappy enough attendance now in the summers, and to trade May-July for February-March (or whatever) would be painful economically at the ticket booth.

24. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    MLS needs to realize (or ESPN/Univision needs to help them realize) that it makes the most business sense for them (and for the sport in this country and USSF) to not play league games in June/July.

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Cross-posting from the BS Homepage - not sure where the original post came from - FWIW: