Kinnear fired. Leitch is the new manager.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by asdf2, Jun 25, 2017.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    "We want them to make mistakes. We want them to dare to take risks, and with that there are going to be mistakes along the way and we have to be okay with that. Now, obviously, we have to do that in a certain way such that our objectives and our goals aren’t compromised by that."

Haaaa---lle-lu-jah, Haaaa---lle-lu-jah, Ha-lleeee-luuu-jah!

I've been ranting about Dom's "don't make a mistake" philosophy for a while now. This is exactly the kind of thing I want to hear, knowing full well that in the short term they may take risks and fall on their faces. Maybe the club goes into a tailspin even, but it is the right way to think and will bear fruit in the longer term in any case.

https://www.centerlinesoccer.com/20...ch-experience-coaching-style-tactics-strategy

markmcf8, Trudge, RocktheCasbah4 and 3 others repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I suspect it's a well-calculated and brilliant decision, only it should have happened earlier, in the last offseason.

markmcf8 and jeff_adams repped this.
  3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I will never understand why you see CL as this clubs' salvation, Don. I see nothing inspiring about this move. If we were going to wait til midseason to replace Dom we should've at least had a proper replacement coach lined up.

ant0n repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I see it just the opposite: if we're going to replace Dom with Chris Leitch, there was no excuse for waiting until midseason.

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Interesting. Great to see him doing this for the youth national team. Would love to see him on the Quakes main roster.

7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Liked the article once he got beyond Downton Abbey. I preferred Gosford Park, which in some ways may be more apropos to the regicide at Earthquakes Way. Who dunnit? And why? :)

9. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Really there's no excuse for replacing Dom with CL at anypoint, ever, in my opinion. I just don't understand why we would go with the completely unproven novice at this stage in our decline. Hardly seems like what we need to inspire confidence and signal that we're serious about turning things around now. I hope I'm wrong and underneath that technical director veneer lies the next Antonio Conte. Theoretically it could happen I suppose.

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    880117740224356358 is not a valid tweet id

Of course Geoff Cameron also sent the following tweets after the Houston Dynamo replaced Wade Barrett with Wilmer Cabrera...

791663128882839552 is not a valid tweet id

791568262471491584 is not a valid tweet id

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The excuse is at this moment the fan base is largely of the mind, "anyone but Kinnear." Notice that you and I are staking out unique positions among Big Soccer posters. You think Leitch is unqualified, whereas I find him eminently qualified. Most everyone else is simply relieved to see Kinnear gone. That's why the decision, which otherwise appears counter-intuitive, was made now, when it offers maximum acquiescence during the season ticket renewal period.

markmcf8 repped this.
  12. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Not sure I understand this.

I wasn't as big on replacing Dom as most, but since we did, we damn well should've brought in someone better, given how much we've struggled for years now. This seems like a giant gamble at a time when we can ill afford more failure

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Which "GM" has "always wanted Dom's job", according to Cameron? Leitch? Fioranelli? Could this be a roundabout way for Jesse to get into coaching? :) "I know, I'll fire Dom, then back-fill with inexperienced guys, fire them, and soon there will be no one left but me to coach the team! Ha-haaa [evil laugh]"

markmcf8 repped this.
  14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's almost like Geoff Cameron is an idiot who has no idea what's going on beyond "waah my buddies lost their jobs"...

15. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like worrying is correct then. That's huge junk of the salary investment going down the drain.

markmcf8 repped this.
  16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No time for an international search. New coach needed to be hired immediately.

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, he just hasn't looked right this year. Slow and not in form at all. He was kind of OK last year, but this year not so much.

18. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really don't know what's going on around here do you? o_O

Are you saying you know for a fact the 'Quakes academy program is failing?

19. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Perhaps you would kindly point out where any of our academy program players have chipped in and helped the Quakes in any meaningful way, I mean maybe tommy t was an academy player but he's still looking for that elusive first goal (as far as I can tell) after 3 or 4 seasons in MLS. And no, running the academy program doesn't qualify you to be GM or an MLS coach, not on a team with winning ambitions, not in my book.

20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nick Lima?

Youth career
    2010–2011
    San Jose Earthquakes

21. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I'll give you Lima, and I'm not knocking the academy even though thus far it's not really been that fruitful. I'm saying running that program or being a TD doesn't make you an MLS coach, it's a huge gamble giving CL the reigns.

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Haven't there been several ex-MLS players turned head coach of MLS teams, without prior coaching experience? I believe (without double-checking) these guys fit the profile: Jason Kreis, Ben Olsen, Peter Vermes, Greg Vanney. Undoubtedly, others, as well.

evade6317 repped this.
  23. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “In the last two to three months,” said Fioranelli, “I matured a gut feeling as to where we stand as a club. When I realized that heading into the next season, we will not renew with Dominic Kinnear, I said to myself that we wouldn’t want to hold onto this for the remainder of the season.”

Soccer America Newsletter

QuietType repped this.
  24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course it's a gamble, not sure anyone can dispute that. But it's a gamble I'd prefer the team to take instead of just giving us more #DomBall...

markmcf8 and tenfourteen repped this.
  25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No inconsistencies between what I quoted and what you quoted.