Kellyn Acosta

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by schlomo, Jun 8, 2017.

1. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    He was the first man off the bench when he subbed on for Clint Dempsey in the 61st minute of a World Cup qualifier against Trinidad and Tobago. He was the set piece taker when he came on and put a decent free kick on goal, forcing the keeper into a diving save. He also had a nice ball feeding Yedlin from midfield to the wing.

He figures to play a role going forward and looks to be on track for Russia.

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is going to be a solid player for the US for a long time to come. I expect that he will end up being a starter after 2018 (at least for a while).

3. matthewe08

matthewe08 Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was kind of getting killed over on the Nats N&A board which I don't understand. That may be my bias coming out but I just don't get how you focus in on Acosta with all the other problems that were on display tonight.

4. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    You can't listen to the guys in that forum. Most of them have unrealistic expectations for each player, or hold hidden (or visible) grudges because their personal favorite are not playing.

EricSunRa and onefineesq repped this.
  5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Those fan boys drive me further away from the national team.

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've found it's more like 2-1 in his favor but one guy really hates him to the point I wonder if there's a personal issue or he looks like someone he did him wrong once. The thing over there is they haven't seen every player like the fans of their club teams and are too critical for the games where they integrate. Acosta will keep getting better and more fans will like him. They better get used to FCD players as Hedges in now in the mix and Gonzalez is seemingly switching to the US after Mexico stiffed him. Then there is Hyndman whose already had a few callups, McKennie, Pomykal, Ferreira, Reynolds, Seally ....

7. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, I’d much rather have Acosta out there than Jermaine.

Rufiolo repped this.
  8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones has had a great US career which could have been even better had they called him in earlier and / or he wasn't injured for the WC a cycle earlier. He's just aged out. Hoping Acosta can have a career as good as he did while playing a major role for the US for a much longer period.

9. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    Im not sure Jones has aged out. We will see, but you never want to close a door on a player, especially one who was arguably the best US player at the last two major tournaments.

10. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    Acosta started his first gold cup game yesterday.

He looked, as did his teammates, like he didn't want to be out there and contend with physical Panamanian players in the draining heat. He also struggled with the speed of the game and got stripped of the ball in midfield during transition. All in all his first bad outing for the usmnt.

Kellyn needs to play with more focus and more intention at that level. There's too much drifting, too many wasted chances, and too many turnovers. He doesn't have time for that right now if he wants to be in that World Cup 23.

11. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was a bit surprised he a) let them get physical with him when he plays in a physical league and b) seemed drained by the heat when he's from one of the hottest parts of the country. Disappointing but not as bad as Dax was. He tweeted about how unhappy he was wit his performance afterwards and I know he'll bounce back.