Keane in the Media

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Pegasus503, Aug 19, 2011.

1. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MPNumber9, shelbo and TrickHog repped this.
  3. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see threads for tributes or such, so I'll post this here (it's not like he comes here anyway). I posted this to Facebook and figured I would share here as well.

Thank you Robbie Keane. You were the missing piece when you were acquired midway through the 2011 season, starting our run of dominance the past 5 years (3 MLS cups in 5 years), and you helped elevate the standard of what a Designated Player acquisition should be, with your tireless work ethic and ability to be successful right from the get-go. Arguably the most productive/best DP signing in MLS history.

That being said, it is time to move on. Your best years are behind you, and while you still clearly have skill left on you, the Galaxy's chemistry works better without you (that and I don't believe you would be willing to play for non-DP money).

Congratulations on an outstanding LA Galaxy career and good luck wherever you go. Forever Robbie "King Keano" Keane in LA Galaxy's hearts.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

7. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd definitely stick Keane in the Galaxy legends department, along with LD, Cobi, Cien and Babayaro.

8. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you Robbie Keane for your service. I enjoyed the passion, the skill and of course the goals you brought for LA. Best of luck to you in the future.

kaburu repped this.
  9. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    All of Keano's goals for the Gs.

skydog, WarGalaxy, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  10. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    25 minutes long :D

WarGalaxy, TrickHog, barroldinho and 3 others repped this.
  11. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yup, best DP ever by a 25 minute margin. I guess the length of the goals highlight is the new metric :D

12. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    For goal #15, what a trap and turn by Magic Mike before laying it off to Keane.

kaburu repped this.
  13. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna miss yelling "KEANO!!!!!!!!" :(

All the best to him and his family.

WarGalaxy and kaburu repped this.
  14. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just made a disturbing, audible sex noise. Please use a NSFW tag in future!

My tribute: http://wp.me/p5ioea-WZ

WarGalaxy, Geneva, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  15. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Okay blog folks... am I allowed to link to that video in my blog? Because wordpress just converts the link to an imbedded video?

kaburu repped this.
  16. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tribute very nicely done - best I have read.

barroldinho repped this.
  17. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks![emoji2]

18. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  19. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That video was fun to watch - it reminded me not just of Keane's absolute brilliance in front of the goal but also of the beautiful team chemistry we had from 2011-2014. Donovan probably assisted on a quarter of those goals. And getting to see Sarvas and Juninho and even Ishizaki play - those were teams that could move the ball down the field quickly and often make opponents look silly. And those teams almost never lost because of lack of effort, unfortunately something I can't say about LA over the last two seasons.

I know I'm way in the minority on this but personally I'm sorry we picked up both Gerrard and Dos Santos. Gerrard for obvious reasons, although his play this year wasn't as dire as many made out. Dos Santos because his slow down, dribble awhile before passing style pretty much ensures that our tico-taco days will be rare as long as he is here. Tico-taco was built on quick 1 and 2 touch passing and a lot of movement off the ball, getting upfield quickly and putting the ball in the back of the net before our opponents knew what hit him. GDS occasionally makes the nice 1-touch pass, but his default is to make two or three dribbles with the ball - almost always cutting to his left - and only then looking up to see what everyone else is up to. And of course there is his tendency to walk around during the 2nd half of most games; times when we need an energetic leader to step up and he goes missing.

Dos Santos, otoh, had good personal stats this season with his 14g and 12 assists in 27 starts, so there is that. Not great stats like Keane's 20 and 8 in 2015 in only 22 starts, or his 19 and 14 in 2014, but still ok stats. Of course even this season Keane still outscored Gio on a per 90min basis, but let's not worry about that. No my issue is that as long as GDS is here he will continue to slow down play and unless a whole team is built around that style he won't make his teammates around him better.

To be fair I don't know how much ability Keane really has lost - he certainly didn't play well in his last few games of 2016. A lot of it seemed like a confidence issues but without seeing him in training it's hard to tell if instead age has really caught up with him. I guess we will find out if he actually moves to another decent MLS team in 2017.

Anyway - going to miss you Keano. :thumbsup::thumbsup: :cool:

20. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I think it was the right decision. When you look at the ten goals he scored this season (), you see three PKs (yes three, the Galaxy staff missed his PK against DC in the home opener), one wonder goal against Vancouver, one header just in front of the goal, and five "easy" tap-in.

Everyone talked about how Gio was ineffective when Keane was on the field this year with this amazing stat of Gio scoring just one of his fourteen goals with the Irish man playing alongside him, but the opposite was less true. Gio assisted four of Keane seven goals in open play this year. That's not bad.

These goals were not "easy" to score, but what I meant is that in all his Galaxy years, Keane was able to create goals from nothing. Yes he played in some great teams who fed him a lot (like the 2014 one), but I'll summarize my point of view in one sentence : we are no more dependent on Keane to score, but Keane is far more dependent on the team to score. That's a sign of a regression to me. And I'm not speaking about the injuries.

Individually, Keane (and I would say Gerrard too) had an OK year for a DP. But both hurt the team collectively, we were better without them. From an individual perspective, Juan Pablo Angel is still the worst DP we ever had, but we were able to dump him midseason and replace him by Keane, and we won the Cup. He didn't hurt the team much.

I'm not sure if Gio has "it" to be a great DP like Keane and Landon have been, a guy who could lead us to a few MLS Cup titles. I'm worried about this, and it means we have to not miss our next two DPs.

By the way, thank you Keano. So many great memories. I'll miss you.

Berks, WarGalaxy and Geneva repped this.
  21. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I did notice that several of his goals came from pk's this year. The fact I didn't mention it shows bias for the Irishman on my part. Never said I was above a little bias here and there. :)

22. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles