Kansas City vs. Seattle Sounders (Sun. April 15th, 3:00PM CDT) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Apr 10, 2018.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    We have played twice as many games as Seattle has. Also, Seattle has 0 points so far this season.

2. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    When they had martins and demps running up front, they were must see. With lobato and demps and morris, I tuned in pretty much most of the time. This year, what the hell has gone wrong? Is it just that they had no plan B for losing Morris?
    They have zero points because they've been worth zero points.
    I suppose they have to get healthy at some point, but that day is not this (sun)day...

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're a year older in their attack, that's part of it, along with Morris out.

4. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only 0 points, but 0 goals as well. Hopefully we keep them on goose eggs.

5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But they aren't really old, aside from Dempsey, who i think turns 102 this year. And even then, Demps was never the all action striker that demands young legs. He was always the laziest guy on the field, going for Most Languid, who had an impressive bag of tricks he could open up at any moment and turn a game. He may have reached the point where he can't get his fingers to figure out how to open the bag. But still:
    Lodeiro is still class, and he's only 29. Bruin is, well, 28. Neagle is 30. Roldan is 23 or something.
    Meanwhile, Felipe is 27, Russell is 28, Gerso is 27 and Shelton, who hasn't scored either, is 24. I know, Salloi is 21, but that still is not a young attacking group. Especially when you consider our attack is built on the foundation of lung busting runs of Espinoza and Zusi, both 31, as well as Ilie, at 28 and Sinovic, also 31.
    I tend to think you are right on Morris. He appears to be central to plans. But FFS he scored 3 last year and added, count it, one assist, and this same group of players was in the final, again.
    I know a striker can't be judged completely on his output, Morris speed does pull a defense out of shape and create seams for others, but really?
    There is something deeply wrong with this Seattle side. Maybe they can't get good coffee up there. Best case for them, this is once again a sleeping giant, so we just have to make sure they stay asleep. Worst case, they actually are now the worst side in MLS. Surely it has to be closer to best than worst, right?

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Dempsey for Seattle, he picked up an extra game for his red card in Dallas

Formulaic and mschofield repped this.
  7. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good, what a turd. Although I wish he woulda played and done something else stupid 20 minutes into the game or something so he could get sent off again.

8. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm really ready for a game that isn't just miserably cold and windy.

9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was nice in LA last week. Does that help? And don't worry, soon enough it will be miserably hot and windy.

10. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'll take the miserable hot over the miserable cold seventeen games a year.

11. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the cold is no problem. it's the wind that's been a pain in the ass, and it's gonna be on point again tomorrow.

12. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've not noticed the wind being a problem once I'm inside the stadium.

13. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, it's less so in the seating areas (at least what i've noticed in the east stand). it's probably been more noticeable to me because of how it impacts tailgating, and because i was up on the concourse for our first 2 games where we were constantly battered by it. coincidentally, that works inversely in the summer, when you want that airflow and the only place you can feel it is up on the concourse.

14. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, that's why I'll take tomorrow's weather over baking in the sun on a 100° afternoon game.

15. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Shipp is injured too.

16. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Snow on the ground, temps in the 20's. Must be game day in mid-April.

mschofield repped this.
  17. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enough snow for the orange ball??

18. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Just a dusting.

19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, it would, which really does make this a much more serious matter. Upside, the beer stays cold!

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is empty right now. Sell out may be announced, but it’ll look empty.

21. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm staying home. I love my team, but I don't want to spend the day standing on cold concrete and/or sitting on a metal bench.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game reminds me of a mix of MLS Cup and that game at CAB against San Jose when the Claudio Lopez banner went flying

23. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    worst game up top for shelton so far in his short stay here in kc. if that's how shelton is going to finish, he's never going to score. absolutely embarrassing level of finishing on that easiest of chances. had a real dom quality about that chance where it was easier to score than to miss, and he still found a way to come up empty.
    and medranda ... should be fined by the club for the way he stood around and let bruin get that goal. worst defender on the team. always a liability.

good stuff from johnny up on the wing, though. he's been productive, as expected.

mschofield repped this.
  24. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 kcscsupporter, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    well, at least we brought on lobato... so we had that going for us.

just thought i'd add that both goals in the second half could've been prevented if the trailing defenders hadn't done an awful job. illie was marking space and allowed the seattle player to do whatever he wanted with that centering pass. if illie had been actually marking his run, that shot never happens, or is at least contested and likely doesn't get so perfectly placed. on zusi's goal, my god, that defending was worse than anything i've ever seen out of medranda... and my feelings about medranda are likely well-known around here. that seattle defender lollygagged his ass the entire time zusi has the ball in front of him. he could've EASILY cut off zusi's angle and forced him to pass or take a low percentage shot. seriously, he jogs the entire way.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nauhou had a horrid game for Seattle, committed the penalty and got burned on Zusi’s goal. I felt like we didn’t exploit that enough, especially with Russell out there most of the game on him.