Kansas City vs Salt Lake (Sat Aug 10, 7:30pm CDT)[R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feilhaber suspended, no report yet on if Espinoza is getting a second game added on to his suspension.

2. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Fingers crossed for a Rowe own goal.

3. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    next year, mls needs to make a point of getting disco more on the ball. there's no need for them to take their sweet-ass time in handing out extra game suspensions. it's inexcusable for it to take this long. just have the committee meet every monday and decide all possible future suspensions.

4. Kooth

Kooth Member

Sporting KC
    Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda slow tonight.

5. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You miss a PK? Pathetic.

This team makes me crazy.

6. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hurtado = useless. No holdup, no passing combos, no shots, nada.

7. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salloi, WTF? What a terrible 2019.

8. Kooth

Kooth Member

Sporting KC
    Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to comment but I don’t know what to say at his point.

9. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto 2019. I called this train wreck in April.

kcfooty repped this.
  10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He shouldn’t start at home. On the road when we don’t have possession, fine, but not at home.

11. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, hes good on the counter.

12. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought about this last night as well. It's a sad state of affairs. Adding insult to this was the early form. God, we looked good for about 4 weeks.

13. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    indeed. Still think no one looked better than us in league play in banc of california stadium. how we have unraveled. Did anyone else see the postgame interview with Russell after the game? He looked like he was close to tears.

hope we can keep some of the vital pieces together and start again with new confidence next season. Obviously not gonna happen with Vermes, but really would like to see people for the upcoming seasons (Lindsey, Busio, Medranda, Smith, etc.) get playing time now.

Fontas is a complete mystery to me. Injuries bla bla, confidence bla bla, but this guy really does not look like an MLS caliber centre back to me. And he was a starter for a while in the primiera division? HOW !??

14. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep in mind SKC started pre-season earlier than other MLS teams to prepare for CCL. PV had them on a very hard training schedule, sleeping in altitude tents, so they came into that game vs LAFC in better shape and training together for longer than LAFC. The game was a reflection of where the teams were in their preparation, not the quality of the teams. It was a mirage.

Fontas played with Barcelona. Not the B team, but the full team. He's clearly a highly skilled player, hes just athletically not up to par with the speed in MLS.

At some point in the style of play transition from ultra-athletic high press to possession, PV became obsessed with getting highly technical players and was willing to sacrifice athleticism. Since SKC don't have the budget to get skilled and athletic, he really focused in on Spanish D2 players (mostly Barca B). The reality is that Iberian soccer is not American soccer. Guys that play D2 in Spain aren't dealing with players that have the pace that CONCACAF players have.

Fast forward to 2019 and most of the players PV has brought in from Spain or Portugal have been busts. Uri and Ilie are the exceptions, but they both play the No. 6 which is the position that requires the least athleticism. The list of busts: Lobato, Fontas, Jordi Quintilla, Dovale, Coelho. The lists of success: Ilie and Uri, who doesn't play for SKC anymore. And before anyone says "but Gerso", yes I realize he is from Portugal but he was brought here in spite of his technical ability, not because of it.

The CB position is especially frustrating. We have a great passer in Besler and we've let the athletic CB leave twice now (Collin and then Opara). Fontas was just the next iteration of Coelho. Besler and Coelho didn't work. Besler and Fontas doesn't work. Time for Peter to figure it out.