Kansas City vs Minnesota (Sat. Aug 25th, 7:30PM CDT) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Aug 20, 2018.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Alright, I hate to be that guy, but this has got to be a win. Minnesota are all but out of the playoff hunt, they've let in a conference-leading 50 goals, and, most importantly, their away record is an abysmal 1-1-10.

This is exactly the kind of game that SKC has shit the bed on in previous years. Especially in August. US Open Cup is gone. Atlanta is walking away with the Supporter's Shield. The only thing we are playing for now is playoff position. There are no two ways about it: this game absolutely must be three points.

Blando13 and Kooth repped this.
  2. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's hard not to be wildly optimistic about this. Sporting look good lately, and Minnesota do not.

Ike might be back in form. Gutierrez is close. Russell is mostly healthy. We have two actual strikers on the team now, and both look hungry and sharp. Balance all that against the understanding that Minnesota are trying out basically a brand new offense while still having the defensive and midfield problems of earlier?

You're right. Anything less than a good win will be disappointing.

3. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's all you need to know.

If Quintero plays, we have a chance to beat you.

If he doesn't, we don't.

Sachsen repped this.
  4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Quitero is truly excellent. I admit I have no idea why he wouldn't play, though. Is he injured?

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he missed this past weekend in Dallas with a calf injury.

mschofield and Bluecat82 repped this.
  6. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either way, will MIN park the bus and bunker like so many other teams tend to do at Children's Mercy Park, or will they actually try to play and possess?

7. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can't bunker.

We don't know how to bunker.

We are incapable of bunkering.

Though we may try...but I don't think the pile of GarberBucks we got for Ramirez can play Defensive Mid.

kcfooty, Sachsen and mschofield repped this.
  8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As were ours incapable of making it work as a 9. but be of good cheer, if our history is indicative of anything, after a year you get to turn a few of them in for something nice. The rest, I believe, function as a passable pillow when stuffed inside a case.

kcfooty, Sachsen and Bluecat82 repped this.
  9. Kooth

Kooth Member

Sporting KC
    Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am in total agreement with ya. The play of the last three game has me pretty optimistic. Not only have they had three shutouts in a row but 5 of the 6 goals scored have come from good passing play in the center of the field.

10. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PV brought in impact reinforcements during the summer transfer. Clear sign we're all in for a playoff/Cup run. Agree, this is a must win to maintain playoff positioning.

11. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The two teams are hilariously snarky about "Rivalry Week" on Twitter.

Blando13, kcfooty and mschofield repped this.
  12. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Reported on MUFC Big Soccer site: "Coach Adrian Heath says no Quintero or Mears available for Saturday at SKC."

mschofield repped this.
  13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wait, so we're hot, they're cold, they have one player who can hurt us and actually score and he's out, we're at home and are about as fully healthy as you can be in August. This is so overwhelmingly in our favor that I have to assume that's us screwed. It has all the making of one of those it's a funny game, but nobody ends up laughing matches.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Itsatrap.gif

mschofield repped this.
  15. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do MUFC fans do after the Loons beat SKC? They turn off the xbox and go to bed.

16. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup. we always underperform in these games.

17. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one means more to their team in this league than Darwin Quintero does to us.

Without him, we're pretty much toothless.

I don't how many Admiral Ackbar gifs get posted...3-0 to you guys.

At least.

Feel free to mock Angelo Rodriguez. I already am.

Sachsen repped this.
  18. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    I was on the fence about who should start at forward. The choices are (kind of) Rubio+Gerso or Russell+Nemeth. I am now of the mind that this is for Rubio and Gerso. They have been hot lately. If they can make noise against MUFC then they deserve to continue starting. If they can't get it done in this game then you hand it to Nemeth and Russell next time out to get them a start. Whatever the case, figure that whoever starts gets subbed during the game.

19. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Russell should get the start. I think Gerso loses out. But I think Rubio starts again.

I'm just not looking forward to the day when Shelton is healthy again and somehow keeps getting all the starts at CF.

Sachsen repped this.
  20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    One thing we can see from looking at their game maps is that Nemeth gives us much more of a central presence. Look at this even in a limited time performance, I think it shows something. Rubio drifts about more. I am not saying this is bad. Obvious Rubio's map shows two goals. but his play at 9 relies on switching from right to left, and not really that many touches in the center when he gets near the box. Rubio likes to pick the ball up wide, about 30 yards out. He did a very nice job of that, but there is a notion that he takes Salloi somewhat out of the game. To be fair, that might just be Salloi having a sleepy night. Nemeth's map shows him very much operating in a central role. His touches are around the top of the box. He didn't have much time, but in that limited appearance managed 2 sog, assist and key pass (and a third shot that was just off goal). that's a productive 17 minutes.
    I think Rubio gets the start because, two goals in the last game, he earned it. but I think there actually is a difference, in what we get. In this very limited sample, it looks as if Nemeth plays more like a traditional 9, rubio like a false 9.

kcfooty, Blando13 and dgb09 repped this.
  21. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the home of the LOONS.

Oh really.

I'm so glad our fanbase is past yelling Chiefs (or really anything for that matter) during the end of the National Anthem.

22. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I so wish.

23. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they're not. I heard a lot of morons yelling, Chiefs.

24. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should be beating this team. The longer we let them hang around, the greater the chance they'll pull out a win.

kcfooty repped this.
  25. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Halftime.

I think the main story line is the fact that MNU came out to play, and we don’t look quite ready for it. Almost like they expected Minnesota to play like Portland did last week, and instead they are high pressing and giving us some nervous moments in the back.

I like Sinovic’s willingness to take shots when he has an opening, but Seth man, you’ve gotta keep it down.

Gutierrez still does not have his mojo back yet. He misplayed several balls early, killing attacks. Later he decided to play it safe and he’s mostly done side and back passes which haven’t been very threatening.

Gerso is having a poor game IMO. Making bad decisions on the ball, too slow to make the quick pass when needed.

Besler and Opara both playing well, as is Melia of course. And it’s a good thing because we’ve needed it as MNU have been taking advantage of their opportunities.

Subs this half: Nemeth for Rubio, Salloi for Gerso, and Gutierrez off, hopefully for Busio but more likely for Croizet.

EDIT: just checked Twitter, and they say Croizet is warming up, so I imagine Gutierrez’s night is done.

Kooth repped this.