Kansas City at Dallas (Sat. April 22nd, 7:00PM CST) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Apr 18, 2017.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The second of two really tough back-to-back road fixtures. The first one turned out alright.

Just getting this out of the way: when Seth picks up a yellow card against Dallas, he'll be suspended for the RSL game on April 29th.

Sachsen repped this.
  2. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think this one might go better than when we played them at home. Then we were playing against all their reserves because they were resting their starters for the CCL. Their reserves parked the bus, wasted time, and faked injuries almost from the start of the game, and we could not break them down.

At home, with their starters, the game will be a lot more open. That favors us somewhat, I think. But Dallas is still very good.

1-1.

3. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got an email from a Fox Sports account with details on how to watch this weekend's game, it's silly and frustrating that an email like that is needed.

5. Soccer7947

Soccer7947 Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Kansas
    I feel like we made a step backwards on this deal. I feel like we are back to the days of metro sports or BeINsports. I hope the money was worth it SKC

6. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same lineup as last week against POR. Medranda is the only question mark for me. Last week's assist was a good one. Hoping for more good work and creating, and no long range blasts into the stands.

7. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Halftime. Thank goodness for Melia, 5 saves and several other interventions so far. The rest of the team look like crap. Numerous giveaways - I counted at least 4 or 5 from Zusi alone. They are stringing plenty of passes together but they are in their own half and other harmless areas. No shots on goal despite over 60% of possession. Typical SKC performance. We will be lucky to keep Dallas scoreless in this one unless something changes.

8. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas deserved that goal. We have just let them have too much possession around their box - too many times putting Melia under pressure.

We are gassed. Everything in the 2nd half has been in slow motion. Not to mention that we are wearing the wrong boots, I've seen our guys slip on wet grass numerous times.

Here comes Salloi. Let's see if the offense can show some life now.

EDIT: and right on cue, Salloi slips...

9. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another 90 minutes of offensive ineptness. Too many turnovers, too few shots. Back to reality.

10. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that was a really poor game all around. neither team really deserved 3 points for that.

on another note, good to see the other kc team in the dallas area putting up just as poopy of a performance.:rolleyes:

sigh.

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    meh. Not much in that game for KC, but losing on the road to arguably the best team in the league isn't a big confidence hit. That said Feilhaber was non-existent tonight and we again didn't look great going forward.

12. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Very awful possession work today. Lost the ball a lot and in bad places. Espinoza and Zusi especially bad on that account. Not many games where SKC looks absolutely second best in the midfield.

Only positive is I am very glad we have confident Melia back. He's still not perfect, but when his head is in the game like it was tonight, he's everything the team needs in a goalkeeper.

13. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If nothing else, this TV deal has enlightened me on how many KC people don't have Google Fiber.

14. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Dallas executed their game plan damn near perfectly. Broke up any spell of possession we had, got forward more than we did, and got the goal. A very well deserved 3 points to them.

Hard for me to get too upset: away to the toughest team in the league, we didn't destroy our GD, Melia looked great, no injuries or suspensions. And the Portland result makes it a bit more palatable.

Schedule gets a whole hell of a lot easier from here on out, too. Next up are RSL, NYRB, and Minnesota. Uh, yes please.

15. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I noted. Late in the game - into stoppage time, in fact - Salloi got tangled up with a Dallas player on the ground. He took offense at what he thought was an egregious kick in his direction. Got up and started yakking. Which Dallas players took offense at, and before you know it, an entire minute has been wasted with a little mini-confrontation.

Someone needs to take Salloi aside and point out the obvious - your team is behind. You're in stoppage time. Your only worry should be getting the play started again as quickly as possible. You don't have time to get in little snit fits with the other team. Just a lack of maturity and intelligence there.

16. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I would have sworn it was the Dallas player that instigated the incident but it is still a teachable moment for Salloi.

17. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, salloi clearly got kicked in the leg first, but it looked more accidental than malicious. i agree that he should let that go and get back to the game. maybe he was tilted from the print on his jersey.*

*i can't stand people using the word 'tilted' like this now. i hate myself for doing it, but i couldn't resist the pun. every generation co-ops their own words, i understand, but this one annoys me the most.

18. oldntired

oldntired Member

May 3, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I have never seen Benny so disinterested in a game. If the ball came directly to him he one touched it immediately to someone else. He wasn't going to run for anything. They subbed him off right after (I think Espinoza) someone tried to work a give and go with him and he didn't move at all. Just stood. I wonder what that was all about. As for the game, I thought FC Dallas could have scored a couple more. Good goal tending as usual for Sporting and some last second defending/poor finishing kept it to only one goal against. Oh well, they were not going undefeated. This was as good a game to loose as any.

19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I thought this was a bit beyond SKC being off. Dallas was faster at almost every position. They closed so much more quickly than we could counter their pressure.
    I really like this SKC team. I think they're smartly built, and really only lack a second scorer to be among the two or three best sides in MLS this season.
    But we are not built to handle that sort of team. Dallas did a really nice job of anticipating our passes. They were waiting for us to do what we do. I thought there were a couple moments that looked hopeful, mostly when Gerso was running at them and looked as if he might open them up...
    Melia was about as good as a keeper gets.
    Overall, our defensive shape was good. I didn't find much wrong with the play of the back line, though Zusi's distribution was about as off this week as it was on last week.
    Question regarding Salloi. What am I missing, posed to those of you who have watched him in person with Rangers. He looks slow, timid, weak and only moderately skilled. Is there a brilliance to his play that I should be expecting in the next couple weeks? Is there a reason he was on the field before Blessing, who was equally impotent this week but has looked threatening in the past.