Juventus 2017/2018 Serie A Season Thread for February [R]

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Falc, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's fair to say Alex Sandro had a better stat. 1 goal and 0 goals through his zone.

Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    De Sciglio has a muscle problem in his left thigh and will skip this weekends match against Atalanta

3. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Same zone as Khedira with Asamoah at fullback.

4. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  5. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Rugani: Always aiming for trophies

Italian defender: We're still alive in all three competitions and will do our best going forward. The next 20 days will be a huge part of the season.

[​IMG]

It was a strong return to the lineup for Daniele Rugani making a key intervention in a two-on-one situation to stop Obi and Belotti in Sunday's derby win at Torino and the Tuscan defender talked to the Sky Sport microphones today about it and much more:

"I had to make a choice. I could show Obi onto his weaker right foot or force a pass to Belotti who I was in a better position to mark," said Rugani. "In the end, he passed it and I was able to come back and stop the chance. It was a strong play that I'm satisfied with."

As with any Juventus season, the goals are high and it's no different for Rugani.
    "Personally, this year's goal is to improve, play more and have a bigger role in the team as I hope to help us win more trophies. Of course for the team, our goal is to win every competition," said Rugani. "Serie A is the main goal, but so is Coppa Italia and Champions League. We're still alive in all three competitions and will do our best going forward. The next 20 days will be a huge part of the season."

In his third season full-time with the Bianconeri first team, Rugani is nearing his appearance total from last year and knows improvement year over year is the biggest thing.

"Coach Allegri is hard on me in a positive way always pushing me to improve on my protection of the ball and physicality. I have his trust and that's what matters. We're a strong group, not just in the 11 but across the squad. Coach knows who to put on the pitch in every game and knows how to get the best out of all of us."

Up next for Rugani and the Bianconeri? A week of double duty against an Atalanta side that has been impressing both at home and abroad. They'll battle in Serie A on Sunday before facing off in the TIM Cup semi-final second leg on Wednesday, 28 February.

"Atalanta always plays an open game as we saw in Europa League against Borussia Dortmund at a very difficult place to play. There are many young players in the squad, including Italians, and they're a great showcase for Italian football. We'll face a strong team and one that we respect."

6. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Juve surely need to evaluate why so many players have been subject to muscle injuries. Same thing happened in 2015/16.

7. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Teams play us physically. Certainly was the case with Torino. Bound to happen.

phat repped this.
  8. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think Marchisio should either play LM allowing Sandro to be more offensive/creative but I like the idea of him as regista making vertical passes and Pjanic in a more creative role behind the strikers. I just know for a fact that he doesn't perform as well on the RM where Khedira usually plays.

I also feel like Sandro is being restricted a lot in Italy like Alves was last year.

9. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005

-------------------Higuain
    --------------------Dybala
    -------------Matuidi--Pjanic--Costa
    Sandro--------Marchisio
    -----Chiellini----Benatia----RB/RCB

I'd LOVE to see this line up at least once. Matuidi covering the spaces left behind Sandro as he attacks as a LB/LWB. He did this excellently until his injury. Costa providing the width on the other side as a RW/RM. Higuain, Dybala, Pjanic, and Marchisio through the center. Dybala in a free role.

In defense it turns into a 4-4-2 with Matuidi covering the LM and Costa RM. It's a very similar line up to the one they played away to Napoli but obviously with Marchisio in place of Khedira. It's technical through the middle with speed out wide.

phat and juveeer repped this.
  10. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    This too.

--------------------Higuain
    Costa-----------Dybala
    -------------Matuidi--Pjanic---Cuadrado
    ------------------Marchisio
    ----Chiellini----Benatia----RB/RCB

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    De Sciglio will be out for 15-20 days. Mandzukic and Matuidi will be in the squad for the game vs Atalanta.

12. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Rugani could even get more time in these formations as the RCB and allow Juve to boss the midfield a lot more.

Asamoah could probably slide into the Matuidi role. Bentancur could go into that RWF instead of Costa/Cuadrado when Juve need to get into a more defensive formation.

13. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
  14. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Allegri has done great things for the squad, but his tenure has coincided with 100+ injuries. Something has to be up. It can't just be the opponent's fault either considering all big sides face similar physical treatment.

Again though, how unlucky has Pjaca been. He recovers and leaves right before an injury crisis in his position.

15. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    its definately is training related. Most ex Juve plays have stated that the training done at Juve is unlike anywhere else in their career.

Even injuries during games can be a result of training during the week.

Berna is done for the year most likely, if it swollen up that much a week after a game, it generally means torn mcl or acl. Seen 3 of them in my life on hs team mates.

Were ACL tears as common back in the 70s and 80s? I remember when the total 90s came out, it seemed like the stud configuration tore a lot of guys knees.

16. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Higuain collided with the keeper. Bernardeschi was also involved in a collision. De Sciglio may be from fatigue but a fullback gives and takes a lot of knocks. Cuadrado is rehabbing from surgery. It is only those four out and Higuain & De Sciglio should be back for the Spurs.

17. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Yes and the options for surgery were limited. I tore my ACL in 82 and the ligament was sewn back together. Spent 7 weeks in a leg cast. Took almost two years to get back to playing. Much different story in 98 where the other ACL was replaced with a patella tendon. No cast and back into action a little over a year.

18. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    I know they were from games, I just meant like... dead legs makes guys slowler on the field. So when you are a half hour into a game, your legs are tired but also tired from training, so you wont have that same pep in your step to avoid a collision, you wont have great reflexes to be able to find sure footing.

This is a minor thing of course, its also equally important to be so mentally strong and physically fit that the 2nd half of the game has you playing with same vigor as the first.

But maybe they can find a solution. Hopefully because 100 injuries is a lot. I would be interested to see other injury reports by other teams to see who is comparable. Serie A is more physical as well adding another variable.

19. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    Yeah my best friend tore his in 2005 when we were jrs on varsity, he tore it in the first month of the season and I remember how crushing it was. He did not come back until the first and last playoff game of our senior citizen.

Have you seen the new videos where it looks like they will be able to fix acls and mcls in a 3 month time span and do no invasive surgery?

This isnt it, but it's similar... I can not find the youtube video... I think its some european or middle eastern dr. But they like do something from outside of the knee which frees up the body to speed repair it's self.

However... Ryan Tannehill for the phins tried something similar and also incorporated stem cells applied directly... and he tore the same acl on a non contact run in practice. So maybe its just pipe dreams.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifesty...ing-surgery/H56nklXNhAXoEptwVay2vN/story.html

20. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Stop thinking too much. I tore two ACL's. One was cause my cleats took into the ground while I was making a turn. The other due to how I came down from a header. No contact, no fatigue. Just happens. Every team has injuries.

scirea6 repped this.
  21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator