Juventus 2017/2018 Serie A Season Thread for August [R]

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Dante, Aug 8, 2017.

1. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Juve allowed an own goal and a stupid pk within 10 minutes and still cruised to a 4-2 win.

We all know that last year the same thing happened away to Genoa except Juve lost 3-0.

Great powerful comeback away from home.

Also, Dybala is playing on par with Neymar at the moment. 6 goals in 3 games.

juveeer, St. Michael's Sword and phat repped this.
  2. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Dybala 4 Ballon d'Or.

juveeer repped this.
  3. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Bro. He's been training like a beast and the squad and tactics have been built around him. Finally we have a superstar going into his prime and who will bring us glory. Let's hope it continues.

juveeer repped this.
  4. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Who is Neymar?

phat repped this.
  5. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Let's not jump ahead of ourselves just yet. Dybala deserves the most credit so far, but Juve's attack in general is playing lights out. In all 5 goals from open play, Juve have moved the ball exceptionally well.

The Mandzukic assist to Cuadrado was a thing of beauty. So was Pjanic's to Dybala. That is their 2nd connection this year. Also in all three goals, Higuain was unselfish with great set up passes.

Admittedly the goals Juve have allowed were stupid collective errors. Singling one player out would be unfair. Against Lazio and Genoa Juve made defensive errors. Today their attack was too strong. Against Lazio it fell short.

If Allegri and Marotta can get this defense sorted, Juve will go far with this attack. We can say that despite Costa and Berna barely playing.

juveeer repped this.
  6. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    We have to appreciate the comeback, no doubt. However, we are clearly suspect defensively. The 4-2-3-1 leaves us vulnerable with the players Allegri has chosen to start. He should try starting Matuidi in one of the roles. If we're still conceding all those chances, we should really try a 3-man MF. I'm sure we would still be dangerous with Dybala, Higuain, one of Mandzukic, Douglas Costa, Cuadrado or Bernardeschi, along with Pjanic and Alex Sandro in support.

Further, the defensive play leaves much to be desired. Chiellini and Barzagli have looked to be the only reliable defenders and Barza is aging. I really hope we can close Howedes, because we need all the help we can get. We have taken a number of goals against the likes of Lazio and Genoa. What happens when we play Barca or Real again? Hopefully, the improved attack will offset this somewhat, but it worries me.

Daei_10 and St. Michael's Sword repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

phat repped this.
  8. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Yes.

Looks like max is going to outscore teams if necessary this season.

phat repped this.
  9. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya something about our formation screws things on defense when we are not careful. Seems like if we lose the ball and we get countered we panic and things are in shambles. I dont want to see a repeat of CL final and that was after conceding only 3 goals all tournament. Our team definitely has issues when we are pressed. We should not get fooled by teams who give us acres of space. We can be lethal but how would we hold up when we are pressed like the Lazio game?
    Zidane immediately realized we get nervous at the back and cant get out of our own half. Allegri cannot overlook this huge flaw. Lets be honest, Gigi, chiellini, lich, rugani, barzagli arent really comfortable with their feet.

phat repped this.
  10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think people are reading a bit too much into the 2 goals, one was a deflection off a Juve player and the other was a pk that should have never been given.

11. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    I agree here. Against, Genoa these goals were plain odd. Juve didn't allow much beyond that for 80 minutes. On the other hand, Lazio overran Juve and were deserves winners. Had it not been for Buffon, Juve would have been down by more. Yesterday, without Perin, Juve score 6.

I'm actually glad Juve were down. It gave the team an opportunity to show strength and comeback.

With that said, Howedes would be a welcomed addition to the defense.

juveeer and Dante repped this.
  12. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Though the amount of goals this defense has leaked have been concerning, I was referring to the number of chances we have given up. When Khedira and Pjanic start as the central midfielders, they don't offer much defensively. As Lichtsteiner has lost a step, and Alex Sandro is more of an offensive option, it's no surprise that we are not looking as solid as years past.

juveeer repped this.
  13. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    I'm sure Allegri will find the right balance. Maybe that means playing a defensive RB should Juve acquire Howedes. Perhaps in certain situations it means dropping an attacker and adding an extra CM. Without these solutions, the defensive issues would be more alarming. Luckily this squad offers Allegri options to fix the current problems.

14. Baggionero

Baggionero Member+

Apr 23, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    It's easy to counter and say that Dybala is a huge reason for that. The attack that has started so far is the same, and Dybala is the only one that looks better. He's moving the ball better, his field vision has been immense so far, and ever since he took the 10, he's dribbling at defenders more than ever. He's an amazing dribbler and has so much untapped potential on top of his amazing finishing ability. He's got legitimate Ballon d'or potential once we start playing the wingers from the bench as starters. They will open up more space for him, giving him clearer chances to score. I love this.

15. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We've given up 17 goals in our last 12 competitive games. Let that sink in. Wont win anything if this trend continues.

16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And 9 were in the last 3 matched, that means 8 in 9 games. The CL final was an aberration, the Supercoppa was just a bad game (and 1 pk) and yesterdays goals were flukes, well one was and the other was a pk that should have never been awarded.

17. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    That stat is misleading but you can't deny we have looked shaky in the back so far. And the problem is, we still haven't solved the RB situation and we need at least another CB who can fill several roles with some speed.

Howdes, if he comes, can be our new Caceres, our old swiss army knife until he violated the crashed Ferrari rule.

18. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm enjoying watching attacking football. I have no problem with outscoring the opponent. Its exactly what we need in Italy for a change and in Europe to win .

19. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    We disagree. We haven't played top caliber opposition and we are leaking goals. I worry about CL if this trend continues. Allegri has shown that he eventually gets his tactics right. I would imagine either seeing more of Matuidi or a three-man midfield.

20. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With Pjanic on the pitch he has no choice. Secondly, in Italy our opponents always play 12 defenders, and now 13 with VAR and yet Juve has been scoring goals.

juveeer repped this.
  21. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    In every match we played this season, our adversaries have pressed us far up the pitch. It's a fallacy that they're sitting back in their own halves defending for 90 minutes. We have had issues dealing with opponents' presses.

ArtemioD repped this.
  22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the last 3 games Juve has had 2 goals scored against them in open play, the other goals came from 2 penalties and 1 own-goal. Meanwhile Juve have scored 8 goals in those 3 games.

23. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    At this point I'm not necessarily all that worried.

Like you said, Allegri's teams can be slow starters and it's looking like Howedes will arrive (*crosses fingers*). If we're still this defensively sloppy and unlucky a month from now, then genuine concern will be merited. But until then, I'm not going to make overarching judgements based upon the first two games of the season.

24. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They started doing since we started attacking and they are successful when Pjanic is on the regista role without proper cover.

25. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    We need to solve the problem at left back. Otherwise, expect goals to be scored against us.