Juventus 19/20 Serie A Season Thread for August [R]

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Falc, Aug 1, 2019.

1. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Juve's midfield has played two very good matches for the first 60 minutes or so.

I'm not sure where this idea that Khedira can't play a heavy possession based system comes from when he played on that German side in a two man midfield with Kroos. Although I don't think he can play in a two man midfield anymore, he is great as the attacking midfielder. His decision making and timely runs in the final third are what the team missed last year. His duty isn't to be on the ball or facilitate like Pjanic, yet when he is on the ball he rarely loses it.

Matuidi is obviously limited offensively. Then again two goals came from his side when combining with Costa. He isn't the "technical" Sarri CM, but as far as pressing and defending the left midfield, he fits very well. He is essentially covering for Ronaldo.

The other reasons for the strong starts is Higuain. His hold up play and pressing for the first half have been fantastic.

So given that the three players mentioned are all in their 30s, Juve largely drop off in the 2nd half because they all tire. Juve aren't in a position physically to play at their first half tempo for an entire match. The hope is that they will be there eventually or the subs will have a bigger impact.

ArtemioD, juveeer and NicktheGreek repped this.
  2. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I suppose Ramsey will play in Khediras role and Rabbiot in Matuidi and I would like to see Betancur in Pjanic role.

3. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The hope is that eventually Rabiot and Ramsey take over for Khedira and Matuidi, but its yet to be seen if they are up to the task

4. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Bentancur is a worse player than Pjanic, why on earth would you want that. And Pjanic has been playing well so far, not excellent but at least he's improved a bit from last year. Bentancur is easily our weakest midfielder

5. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Because he can hit a vertical pass and your wrong about Betancur, hes a very good central midfielder. Pjanic did nothing against Napoli but 3 yard passes, didn't even take a decent FK.

Daei_10 repped this.
  6. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I'm not wrong, that's why he doesn't play. I dislike Pjanic but he is infinitely better than Bentancur

7. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Cool story bro.

8. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Pjanic has been excellent over these two matches. It's not easy to be the player that is tasked with receiving the ball 100 times and having to facilitate the build up with only 1 and 2 touches at a time.

Ramsey's forward runs are very good so his profile matches Khedira's. As for Rabiot, I do wonder if he can do the defensive work on the wing that Matuidi does. For Ronaldo to be free of defensive responsibilities, there has to be a player willing to cover his sideline the way that Costa does for the right.

9. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Sure thing, let me know when Bentancur starts over Pjanic. Better yet, let me know when Bentancur plays at all

10. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    That Khedira played in such a system when he was in his early to mid-20s I don't think helps with the argument that he could play in such a system today. I think you implicitly acknowledge this where you later mention that fatigue is an issue for a player this age.

Setting the fatigue issue aside, I would still maintain that he is not adept for this system. What good is a great attacking run if there is no end product? He missed a sitter one on one versus the keeper against Napoli. He has scored 21 goals in 128 matches for us; 6 in 191 appearances for Real. He does not create a lot of goals either. He has never impressed anyone with the ball at his foot. This is not a player that helps the attack a great deal.

I agree that Khedira can have utility for a side like this because he is a smart, tactically-disciplined, hardworking player. He's just not as a starter at this stage of his career. I can see the logic in playing one of Khedira or Matuidi--just not both simultaneously if you expect to dominate play the whole game, which Sarri's system is predicated on.

juventino13 repped this.
  11. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Khedira or Matuidi isn't really the option for Juve. They are very different players. Matuidi starts because of the way he can cover the left flank.

Let's see how Khedira does as the third more attacking CM. His numbers for Real and Juve are less prolific because in each case he has predominately been used in a two man midfield (ex Alonso-Khedira) with four attackers ahead of him.

If he can stay healthy (big question mark) and is mainly used as the attacking CM then it wouldn't be shocking if he contributes the most goals out of all of Juve's mids. At least for now, he has been very good through two matches. The issue for Juve is that he can't play at that tempo for an entire match. Hopefully Ramsey can get fit and replace him. That would give Juve the option for a like-for-like replacement that they don't have when he comes off.

juveeer repped this.
  12. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    The other problem with Khedira, and Ramsey for that matter, is injury. Both rarely make it through a season without missing time.

Rabiot should be an improvement over Matuidi, but as you say, Matuidi is used primarily to cover for Ronaldo's lack of defending. That creates a problem in attack if you have to devote one side of the pitch primarily for defensive cover.

The thing about Blaise is he does get forward and makes some good runs. But......He, like so many of our other midfielders, can't hit the target.

That is what made our old good MF so special. We had box to boxers like Marchisio and Vidal, a maestro like Pirlo and a wild card in Pogba. ALL of them contributed on both ends of the filed and all could score.

None of those players has been adequately replaced.

13. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If i may, it was always going to be difficult to replace that group of players: Pirlo, Vidal, Pogba and Marchisio and no team has even come close to having a comparable midfield since those 4

phat repped this.
  14. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think Ramsey, Rabbiot, Can and Betancur could be a better alternative. With Bernadeschi slotting in for Ramsey. Or we can sell 1-3 and buy Verratti and Pogba/SMS.

15. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Like we are actually going to convince those players to come to Juventus. Good Luck with that.

16. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Good luck with that

17. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They can fetch 200m easily.

18. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In what reality?

juventino13 repped this.
  19. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    In phat's football manager fantasy land

20. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In a reality where people pay 100m for McGuire.

Daei_10 and Ciro Di Marzio repped this.