Juventus 18/19 Serie A Season Thread for November [R]

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Falc, Oct 30, 2018.

1. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Exactly.

He was a good player and a good soldier for us, and then we threw him out without a second glance. It's obvious how much this game meant to him and you hate to see it end the way it did.

I know it's meelan, but I hope we give Higgy a warm welcome (and I mean that without irony) during the return leg.

phat, gumbacicc and juveeer repped this.
  2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allegri:

"Bonucci’s exclusion? He knew since yesterday, he needed to rest a bit, then they also insulted him when he went under the curva. It was the right thing to do, today he had to stay out."

Yup, sounds like simple rotation to me.

scirea6 repped this.
  3. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I wonder if Higuain would have been the difference against Manchester United this past week.

soji22 and juveeer repped this.
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Le pagelle di Milan-Juventus 0-2: Ronaldo trascinatore, incubo …

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Milan-Juventus, le pagelle | Goal.com

Pagelle Milan – Juventus 0-2: Mandzukic e Ronaldo espugnano il San …

[​IMG]

5. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Annnndddd........I think we all see now why that was a wise move.

6. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Yeah in slow motion it looks completely differently, but what was he supposed to do there?

7. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    He still has black and white stripes under that rossoneri shirt.

Not his fault he is not still with us unlike a few others we could name.

That is the difference between Max and Rino. Max read the situation with BonBon well. Rino not so much.

8. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    We could have used him with MM out.

9. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Probably not. Higuain has never been a big-game player. I had high hopes for him when we signed him back in 2016. I thought coming to Juve could see him make that leap from very good to elite striker, but alas, it didn't happen. Mandzukic, on the other hand, might be less talented but has a habit of delivering big goals in crunch matches. That's a rare yet highly sought-after quality. He's the sort of player who could have probably sealed the win versus Man United in mid-week.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It was obvious Higuaín was nervous. I'm sure he wanted to have a great game against Juve especially because of the way they got rid of him but it wasn't to be. He was probably wanting it too much.

11. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Huge contrast to Wednesday's game.

-Mandzukic finished a much harder chance relative to Cuadrado's miss. Huge upgrade in that regard.

-Juve never got too deep unlike the last 10 minutes vs United. The defensive block was almost always beyond their own box. They killed the game by attacking, holding possession, and pressing higher for 90 minutes.

-Juve made changes to maintain their midfield presence rather than bolster their defense. Costa came in for Dybala to help link defense and attack. Khedira positioned himself close to the attacking line as he normally likes to.

This approach is less risky than inviting pressure. Juve created far less tonight than they did in Turin midweek yet finished their chances for the most part.

gumbacicc and juveeer repped this.
  12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s what VAR is for.

13. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Juve need to score 4-5 goals in a game. It's time they really break out and let loose. Max has to let them play all out football. I'm anxiously waiting to see it happen.

14. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    To me this is the biggest problem with VAR. With the slow mo, it gives the ref an unrealistic viewpoint that is unavailable on any other action of the match.

In real time the ball caromed off Higgy and bounced up and hit Benatia's hand. It all looked to be one motion. By slowing it down it exaggerated the movement of Benatia's arm and made it look like he MIGHT have moved his arm towards the ball - which I think was a false impression.

There was a similar event against Milan and they didn't even look at it. I don't think either was a deliberate handball and since that is what you need for a PK neither should have been given.

But now, anything close is going to go against us with all the moaning of us getting all the calls in Italy. I guess we are just going to have to live with it.

phat and Falc repped this.
  15. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    You may be waiting a long time.

I was pleased to see us keep pressing high even at the end for once. When we drop too deep to "see out a game" it gives me ulcers watching the ball move around the penalty box.

phat repped this.
  16. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
  17. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Exactly. I have no issue as long as they don't take unnecessary risks by voluntarily inviting pressure.

Juve didn't allow Milan the space they gave United. Juve initiated the press as soon or soon after Milan crossed the halfway line while the backline stayed beyond the edge of their box. Obviously on the few occasions where Milan did break the first pressure and were able to get themselves in decent positions, Juve's block retreated. Yet it was never easy for Milan in the way it was for United.

As a result, the ending of the match felt like Juve were much more in control.

It was a great response and hopefully lessons have been learned. I still have my doubts as to whether the team will take that approach in a KO scenario. It's one thing to play that way in a long league format and another when everything is on the line.

phat, soji22 and juveeer repped this.
  18. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    [​IMG]

scirea6 repped this.
  19. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    I loved it when CR7 tried to calm down Higgy.

20. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agresti claims that this will be the starting lineup

[​IMG]

21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just tuned in to the match before the Ajax kickoff. What is the significance of the red face paint dashes that both teams and match official have.

23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juve has a legit goal called off for who knows why. No offsides, no foul. No clue.

24. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #124 Dante, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    A campaign to raise awareness for domestic violence against women.

25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Very cool, thanks!!! Hope they win today. Need to switch over to the Ajax match.

Dante repped this.