Juventus 18/19 Serie A Season Thread for February [R]

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Dante, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Today's society tends to view things from a highlight point of view. Dybala is not making highlights, scoring goals. Yet, he is an integral part of this team. We have a fickle bunch here.

NicktheGreek and juveeer repped this.
  2. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    On the almost penalty call, Rugani needed to step up towards the ball instead of waiting for it to arrive to him but Pjanic was the one who put him in that bad position. So despite what some may criticize, the fault on that play was with the Bosnian.

juveeer repped this.
  3. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I agree with this, though I think that were Bonucci in Rugani's shoes, he makes a better play on that ball and the result is not the same (even though we all know Bonucci makes his fair share of mistakes). I think at this point it is fair to say we have seen enough of Rugani to conclude that he is never going to be this great, world-class defender we had all hoped. However, I think he can be a useful option on this team so long as you have a stalwart like Chiellini anchoring the defense.

Though Szczesny made a great play to stop what should have been a goal on that play, the play he made later in the game really had me missing Buffon. With Chiellini and Barzagli aging, and Bonucci and Rugani prone to the stupid error, along with the errant goalkeeping we see from the Pole at times, we really ought to address the defense in the summer.

4. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I see Rugani as a replacement for Chiellini. Bonucci, a former midfielder, plays like one. Rugani is more of a man marker. His comfort on the ball has improved but it is not natural. Considering that he once played for the great Sarri, you would think his ball handling would be better. I think in the end, his career will show him to be a very good defender. The same can be said about Barzagli, who never was known for his ball skills. I think Caldara was the natural partner who showed more of a libero style. Maybe de Ligt may take that role.

juveeer repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You think Chiellini and Bonucci will be gone next season?

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they'll remain. Chiellini will finish at Juve. Chiellini definitely has another season as a starter left in him.

Barzagli will be gone, as he should be. He had a good career at Juve, but he's lost a few steps and is nothing more than a bench warmer here.

7. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    One thing is clear. We need someone who can be relied upon next season to complement the group. De Ligt seems to be the flavor of the month, though every big club is linked to him and we rarely win the bidding wars.

8. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I really like Barzagli, but unfortunately I agree, he is just getting too old now. Ugh wouldn't it be amazing if players never aged?

9. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Barzagli is that reliable substitute that is not going to whine because he has not had a lot of minutes. He is there for off field experience that he can share with his younger teammates. I do not understand why there is criticism for players who fill the bench. Only 11 can play at a time.

10. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rugani will be a good defender one day. Hes still young.

Forget De Ligt, he will be 80M+ and we will easily be outbid.

11. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think so considering Raiola does not get along with Barcelona and Ajax want Kean who is the ace in hole to make the deal happen.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Barzagli is turning 38 in May and I can't imagine him going to another team at that age. He has to call it day sooner or later.

13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is this he's young crap? He's 24, he'll be 25 this summer. There are plenty of defenders out there that are his age or younger that are better than he is. He's not a goalie where they age like a good wine and can play until 39 or 40. He's got about 8 years left until his career starts taking a turn for the worse. He's shown nothing to say that he'll be one of the exceptional defenders that can extend their prime to 36 or 37. He's an average defender that shouldn't be starting for Juve in big games.

14. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but why waste a roster spot on a player that's there for the off field experience. Give it to a young player that can grow in the system, give him a chance to become the future of Juve. If you have the opportunity, you go with the younger player rather than the 38 year old. If you want to keep him for sentimental reasons, offer him a job within the organization. His time as a player is done.

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Raiola is the key here and Juve have already been courting him. There's a reason why Juve has a good relationship with that fat bastard. It's worked out for them. Now they also have a good relationship with Jorge Mendes, which can be very important. Don't burn bridges with agents.

ArtemioD and juveeer repped this.
  16. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    He still has some left in him and recruiting a young player to sit on the bench is not going to get us far. Who would have taken Barzagli's place this season that would have helped the team?

17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering how little Barzagli has played or even been fit to play, give it to one of the Juve youth team players.

18. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Like the ones selected during the current injuries?

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, wasted space.

20. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Allegri, Szczesny, Ronaldo, Caceres and Bonucci will play tomorrow. Rugani has a problem so he won't feature and Spinazzola might get some time.

22. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BBC wasnt as good at his age. You should know by now Italians peak late 20s and mid 30s

And 24/25 is young still

juveeer repped this.
  23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chiellini was 21 when he was a regular starter for Juve. Barzagli was 23 when he was a regular starter for Palermo. Bonucci was 23 when Juve signed him and he was playing regularly. They had already shown that they were starters for a reason.

To say that the BBC wasn't good at his age is flat out wrong, they were already starters and had showed their worth (although you know my opinion of Bonucci). Rugani hasn't come close to that and he'll be 25 in a few months.

This whole, Italians don't peak until late 20's and mid 30's is flat out wrong, the BBC peaked well before that. There are other Italian defenders that have peaked before that too. If there's one thing Italy has going for it in this massive drought of good talent is that their young defenders are still good.

Rugani should never be a regular starter for Juve, ever. He's not good enough. he's not even good enough to get games for the National Team where there are a number of young defenders getting playing time.

24. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member