Justice for the 96- Hillsborough - Inquest Verdicts

Discussion in 'Liverpool FC History' started by liverbird, Apr 11, 2016.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to be a fiend of epic proportions if you didn't at least nominally tear up between burnham's speech and the ynwa on the steps today. Jeeeeebus wow.

liverbird repped this.
  3. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Some fans beat up PC giving kiss of life" - the fact that the country lapped that shit up is unreal.

Sir Niney, el-capitano and liverbird repped this.
  4. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Neil Atkinson said in his excellent column, this was at the end of a decade of the dehumanization of football fans and the entire city of Liverpool. The people who lapped that shit up, wanted to believe that shit. They still believe that shit because they want to believe it.

The sad thing is, this continues to this day. Too many people are eager to believe the worst about any group perceived to be "other". See our presidential campaign as Example A for the way minority groups, immigrants, Muslims, Mexicans, the LGBT community is vilified on a daily basis. No amount of "truth" about these groups is going to change the minds of those who want to believe the worst about these people.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  5. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprised to see a nice write-up in the local paper this morning about the verdict

6. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    NARPO. Ever heard of it? No, me either. National Association Of Retired Police Officers. A UK organization.

Its website is the usual run-of-the-mill, nothing to see here sort of stuff. But it has a private section, for members only. Which today screwed up and made a private posting public. Telling the former officers of the South Yorkshire Police, that not only had they done nothing wrong, but in fact had done a great job. Yes, it had been a bad week, but no one could take away what a great job they had done on the miners' strike and the Yorkshire ripper. And Hillsborough.

I suspect we'll be hearing more about this sooner rather than later. NARPO. Ever heard of it?

ryered and usscouse repped this.
  7. mergendy

mergendy Member

Oct 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Finally, the truth is out, but justice is just starting to come...Operation Resolve and all that...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-36159195

On this note, I table that the line in the FOAR verse should now go "justice has started to come"... JFT96

8. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Hillsborough Families Angry After Retired South Yorkshire Police Told To Be ‘Proud’ Of Their Work
    ‘Persistent and tenacious attempt to defend the indefensible.’

9. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Merg, Sam is looking to getting in touch with you.

10. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As an american you dont think money, power and lies cant sway the public?

You do know Donald Trump is dancing his way to the Republican Nomination on Massive wave of Bullshit

11. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right

newterp repped this.
  12. ScholesyLFC

ScholesyLFC Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Holladay, Utah
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's interesting how this has all unfolded and how some people - Ayre included - all of a sudden have found the limelight very attractive. The fact is that under his leadership the club has refused to even acknowledge the HJC, the other two groups were recognized by the club, whilst the HJC was felt to be too 'confrontational', too aggressive about wanting a new inquest. The HJC don't even get official invites to club functions and briefings. The HJC has long believed that the victims of Hillsborough are those who died and those who survived. I'm so happy that justice is finally starting to arrive and I am irked by the politicians who dismissed the requests for a new inquest now basking in the glow of success achieved by those that fought endlessly for justice. It was a cover up on both sides of the political divide that still needs to be accounted for.

13. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thatcher, Major, Blair and Straw, etc etc.

You and I have always agreed on Ayre the pusillanimous sycophant

ScholesyLFC repped this.
  14. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Superb piece from Adrian Tempany, a Hillsborough survivor.

15. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    At 1 hour 50 or so, it's long, and I'm not certain its available internationally, but this BBC Radio 5 piece with Kelly Cates is excellent. Interesting interview with her father, King Kenny. Carve out the time if it's available.

Also, I defy anyone not to be in tears when the two survivors are talking about how they escaped pens 3 and 4.

ScholesyLFC repped this.
  16. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Harrowing! An absolute tear-jerker.

Samarkand and liverbird repped this.
  17. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't stop reading about this - especially the Truth.

It's amazing. I hope this thread is pinned at some point.

18. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Many of you know I was there - last week I had some time off after my eye surgery and finally watched the ESPN 30 for 30 on the disaster. Very well done - it is about 90 minutes long and is on the US version of Netflix. Not sure if it is available in the UK yet.

I managed to get through it :)

19. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Match Extra this week opened with the verdict and responses from survivors and families. In some cases it may have looked like joy but in reality it was "Tearful relief" that the smear campaign was over.

Perhaps it's also the reason you got through that TV show Kopite.

20. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Relief and anger for me .. that it took so long, that the lies have smeared and tainted, now I want to see charges brought and also see the Orgeave mining campaign shed more light on policing in Yorkshire. http://otjc.org.uk/

21. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Interesting how the South Yorkshire police list the Mining Strike Campaign as one of their finest hours.
    They really haven't learnt a thing.

From Orgreave:
    The South Yorkshire Police, he continued, ‘used the same underhand tactics against its own people in the aftermath of the miners’ strike that it would later use with such deadly effect against the people of Liverpool.’

22. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Revoking a knighthood would be a start ....

(However, on the other hand - if it was me, I wouldn't care a jot if they gave me a knighthood and then took it back (as it's a load of old bollix really, unless you are actually protecting sansa stark) - so it rather depends on the person if that sort of punishment/rebuke means anything or not....)

23. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself there mate. The fact that remains when all is said and done is that large segments of football fans (as a culture) were (by their own nature and actions) ripe for dehumanization in the period between the mid seventies and the end of the 80's. Which isn't to say, as the gutter press tends to, and did, and ********ing egregiously in the case of Hillsborough, that all fans should be tarred with the same brush. But there was most definitely a widespread violent b@stard element abroad in football fandom in the period. And it was most certainly not a nice thing to encounter.

24. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ah, a knight. They strut around like roosters down here. Even the ones who have never seen an arrow coming their way.

25. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Seems a whinny bunch from what, admittedly very little, I could read on their website.