Justice for the 96- Hillsborough - Inquest Verdicts

Discussion in 'Liverpool FC History' started by liverbird, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    So The Guardian calls that newspaper for a reaction to the verdict. "No comment, thanks" is its official, on-the-record, statement. Surprised?

2. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    What a sad day, even though the news is what we wanted. God bless the victims. God bless the families.

4. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    I don't know anyone personally linked to those who lost their lives on that day and neither have I purpoted to be connected to the families but I felt the emotion of the current outcome.....the latest outcome is absolutely huge for the families involved and the word 'unlawfully' makes a monumental difference....walk on

5. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Truly no words for what has just been made official and public after so much wrongdoing, so much hate, so long a wait. Bittersweet. But finally, JUSTICE.

We will never forget the 96, their families will always be our family. YNWA

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Key words for me about the man who told the world that the 96 were drunken louts who caused it all:

"They [Independent Police Complaints Commission] are looking at both organisations and individuals. The unlawful killing conclusion that we have had today the route to it was considering the actions of match commander David Duckenfield.

"The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) can consider a prosecution against David Duckenfield."

[​IMG]

7. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yes, but the question now is: will they?

9. ScholesyLFC

ScholesyLFC Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Holladay, Utah
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Now it's time for accountability.

10. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've always felt, and still do feel, inadequate to comment on such an injustice. Only those who felt the viciousness of state-sponsored lies and vilification, allied with a sustained press campaign, can truly testify about the depth of despair and hopelessness. One step for justice!

YNWA!

11. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    If they don't the families probably will

12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    do you mean civil suits? is that allowed in the UK?

13. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    poopoobigelow repped this.
  14. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    #39 Samarkand, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    The families took a private criminal prosecution against Duckenfield (and Murray) in 2000.

Murray was found not guilty of anything and no verdict (not guilty, not innocent) was returned in respect of Duckenfield. But the trial judge did issue a stay in all further prosecutions against Duckenfield.

In order to prosecute now, that stay will have to be lifted. It would be a brave judge who would now refuse to lift the stay, especially in light of today's verdict. But it might take a little more time than normal to go after him now.

Now all the criminals in their coats and their ties
    Are free to drink martinis and watch the sun rise.

For how long more, one wonders? For how long more?

ScholesyLFC, ryered, liverbird and 2 others repped this.
  15. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Good insight, good read.

It was pretty crystal clear all along if we can be honest with each other. But this is what dehumanising people does. What dehumanising people does is obscure what should be crystal clear and instead say that it doesn't really matter, that they turned up late, that they turned up drunk. That they robbed the dead. And then that they have a chip on their shoulder. That they are a self-pity city. That they are always the victims. Always the victims. It is never their fault. They weren't one of us. They were one of them

ryered, liverbird and dcc134 repped this.
  16. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Liverpool FC's chief executive officer Ian Ayre has released this statement:

“After 27 long years the true verdict has finally been delivered, confirming what the families always believed – their loved ones were unlawfully killed.

“Liverpool Football Club welcomes the jury’s decision, once and for all, that our supporters were not in any way responsible for what happened at Hillsborough. We will always remember the selfless bravery and heroism of the many fans that helped their fellow supporters in the most harrowing of circumstances that day. We praise those who, since the beginning of the inquest, have had to find the courage and strength to re-live what they went through.

“Since April 15, 1989, the solidarity shown by Liverpool fans towards the families and survivors encapsulates the unique character of both the club and city. We are also hugely thankful for the unwavering support the wider football community has so generously shown these past 27 years.

“It has been a painful journey for the families and survivors, who have endured and sacrificed so much for so long. The resilience and dignity they have shown throughout their tireless campaign has been humbling and inspirational. Their conduct and actions throughout their struggle has brought pride to the city of Liverpool and will serve as a lasting tribute to the victims.

“The 96 men, women and children who were unlawfully killed at Hillsborough will never be forgotten.”

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/218435-ian-ayre-statement-on-hillsborough-inquests

17. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
  18. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    "Many have not understood that it is the S*n's duty as a newspaper to publish information, however hurtful and unpalatable it may be at the time.

We cannot possibly apologize for "FACTS........" "

Arrogant bastards...!!!

19. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Instead of rejoicing in the verdict I found myself incredibly sad and at times over the last 24 hours angry

I didn't expect those emotions and yesterday's events have hit me harder than recent anniversaries- emotions are unpredictable- especially when it comes to this event

David Conn's Guardian coverage should be applauded and award winning.

Let's prosecute the bastards responsible and continue the boycott of that newspaper

As an eye witness to these awful events the images become more vivid not less and one of police pushing fans back into Leppings Lane stand sticks more than most

My nephew said he had a few celebratory drinks, I am afraid that was not my reaction

jeffcoop, Boundzy, KopRules and 9 others repped this.
  20. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Astonishing

21. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Negligent homicide.

22. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Chief Constable of South Yorkshire suspended, probably going to be fired. He was due to retire in November. On the back of a blistering speech by Andy Burnham in Parliament.

Leopards and spots and all that.

liverbird repped this.
  23. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #48 liverbird, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    Look up the public service today on Lime Street in front of Saint George's Hall. It will leave you in tears. Perhaps the best YNWA ever

24. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burnhams speech in the Commons today - epic.

Red Bird and liverbird repped this.
  25. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    If the video will play internationally.

liverbird repped this.