Just don't get injured: The International Thread 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Nov 12, 2016.

1. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just turned on the match after seeing the result in this thread, thinking like "oh of course they let some goals in because look at this team! It's all youthful inexperience, for the most part", I was about to applaud Southgate's bravery in playing the kids and still getting a result...

Of course, I was looking at the bench. Oops.

2. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this is dumb because Rashford can be marked and muscled out of games and Kane is much more impactful overall, but when I watch England the only thing I can think about is how electric their front 3 could be if they played Rashford, Sancho, Raheem. But that presumes Rashford picks it up and plays more consistently... I just like him I guess.

As much as England don't blow me away in some positions, this is the deepest England squad I've seen in... a pretty long time. I saw a depth chart recently, while it wasn't the France depth chart it's still impressive.

3. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    defensively england is still pretty weak + keeper...and I include Trent in that mix (not a popular opinion I am sure).

4. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes and now my lady's team (Mexico) is adding their own brand of suck vs the Argies.

Let's get back to football that actually matters.

imasyko repped this.
  5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yep he missed the tackle so - smart lad that he is - he tried to poke the ball away from the attacker, through the attacker's legs, while laying on his back. what could possibly go wrong? effing moron. :)

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Yep, two goals directly attributed to the most expensive defender in football.

7. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    How did Lady Burnings team fare against the mighty US lead by Chelsea's wonderstar the other day.
    Ooops!

8. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well that was men against boys.

9. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wel
    l, actually, Lady Burning's team did well playing their scrubs in the first game, but were flattened by the Argies when playing their first string.

10. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    The Daily Fail says.....

Liverpool 'target Arsenal reject' Donyell Malen following impressive form for PSV… including five goals in one match against Vitesse

The 20-year-old has been in fine form since returning to his home country, having scored 11 goals in 14 games so far this season, while bagging double figures last campaign.

Full Story:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...yell-Malen-following-impressive-form-PSV.html

11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hendo, AA and JoGo are named in the England squad for the October Euro games vs Czech Rep and Bulgaria.

12. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I take it Southgate is going on history rather than current form.

13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    a rare bit of good international-game news ....

Liverpool star Mohamed Salah "must rest" and will miss Egypt's friendly against Botswana on October 14, national team coach Hossam El Badry said Thursday.

The announcement came days after Salah raised eyebrows by changing his Twitter bio to say he only played for Liverpool, removing any mention of his affiliation to Egypt.
    https://www.afp.com/en/news/3955/salah-must-rest-says-egypt-coach-doc-1l13wp4

14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  15. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    delaynomo repped this.
  17. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Does Mo get to keep a copy of the Red Card that was awarded to Choudhury.
    Oh wait.

18. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I refuse to thank allah, but I'm thankful no less.....

19. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    summary of who's doing what in this break ...

Jordan Henderson, Joe Gomez and Trent Alexander Arnold have been selected by Gareth Southgate to represent England for their set of Euro 2020 qualifiers against Czech Republic (October 11th) and Bulgaria (October 14th).

Roberto Firmino and Fabinho will represent Brazil in two friendlies against Senegal and Nigeria – Alisson misses out, having just returned from injury.

Sadio Mane may play against his teammates, with the 27-year-old called up to represent Senegal in their aforementioned friendly against Brazil.

Virgil van Dijk and Gini Wijnaldum have been selected for the Netherlands in their Euro 2020 qualifying matches against Northern Ireland, while Dejan Lovren will play for Croatia against Hungary and Wales.

Andy Robertson will captain Scotland this month, as they take on Russia and San Marino. He will be hoping for a couple of improved performances.

Meanwhile, Belgium have selected Divock Origi in their squad, ahead of games against San Marino and Kazakhstan.

Liam Millar, who is on loan at Kilmarnock, has again been called up by the senior Canada side for their CONCACAF Nations League match against the USA on October 15th.

Harry Wilson, on loan at Bournemouth this season, has been called up by Ryan Giggs to play in their qualifying matches against Slovakia and Croatia – Ben Woodburn misses out through injury.

Rhian Brewster has been selected by the England under-21 side to face Slovenia in a friendly and Austria in a qualifying match, while Caoimhin Kelleher will star for Republic of Ireland U21s against Italy and Iceland.

Current Huddersfield Town goalkeeper Kamil Grabara will keep his place in goal for Poland’s U21 side when they face Russia and Serbia in their qualifying matches.

Curtis Jones will represent England’s U19 side in friendlies against France and Belgium this month – fellow Liverpool youngster Rhys Williams has also been selected.

Sepp van den Berg has already played once for the Netherlands under-19s this week, scoring in a 5-0 win over Moldova, and he will feature again when they face Latvia on Friday.

Finally, Harvey Elliot will play against Germany and Spain for England under-17s.

usscouse, augie and Suss repped this.
  20. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Brazil 1-1 Senegal in Singapore friendly.

Bobby and Mane (pen) each score.

jeffcoop repped this.
  21. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So my local's 30 year old Czech striker finished off a piss-poor England today. That was weird.

22. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A thoroughly deserved loss. England was abject. The poor ball-retention skills finally came back to haunt it as against Croatia in the World Cup as the players kept losing the ball. Not many many players performed well— Kane maybe and even he fluffed his lines a couple of times. The Czech goalkeeper, it has to be said, was in excellent shot-stopping form but that was mainly because most shots were straight at him.

I wonder what changes Southgate will implement for Monday?

23. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    unfortunately AA will probably play and start the whole game

24. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes. Southgate always rotates his fullbacks, and Alexader Arnold always plays the latter of the two games.

25. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wijnaldum has scored The Netherlands' two goal as it currently leads 1-2 away to Kazakhstan.