Alert: Jurgen Klinnsmann to reveal roster for January Friendlies (Camp Cupcake)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by DynamoEAR, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Yup.

2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    absolutely.

but I do also think it is worth noting that there likely are "training differences" between the first week of a Jan USMNT camp and a Jan (midseason) Bundesliga team camp that is going on at the same time.

new coach and new training staff for this Jan camp, no?

and the non-use of the HDC (but rather training/doing-physical-work-only first near/at the friendly venue in AZ) initially, and then going to the HDC for fuller team training and scrimmages v the U23s, is a bit of a different routine than non-JK January camps, it would seem. (maybe not all that different, but certainly dissimilar in some way.)

fair points (if one assumes that December non-team training for Gonzalez in the States is comparable to the level of training/activity done by players training with and playing for Bundesliga teams for most of that month). and the Nuremberg players had to fly (or train/drive) from Germany to Turkey, while Gonzalez had to fly from LA (or Phoenix) to Turkey.

do we know exactly how long Gonzalez was with the FCN team before he was injured?

3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Every scientist out there disagrees with you. Ligament injuries are all about fitness.

5. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I asked my scientist about this. She said, "why the f*ck are you asking me this? I am a chemist.":mad:

6. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can happen any time in or out of condition, tore mine twice left and right once.

1 person likes this.
  7. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Interesting read.

Not that it matters all that much, but I would note that those first days in AZ (for the guys at US camp who for the most part had not been in a team training environment for 4-6 weeks) were likely very different than the first day(s) Gonzalez encountered when he joined up for a trial/loan with FCN at mid season.

8. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Probably not very different at all. German winter camps start with physicals and blood tests and so on either; but maybe they did it at home before they left to Belek.
    "At mid season" still means they were off 3 weeks for Christmas.

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    well, I happen to be a scientist in the muscle/exercise area. Good fitness can reduce the chance of serious injuries but it definitely does not eliminate it. The most fit athletes in the world can (and do) blow their knees out.

10. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Then why would anyone need your expertise?
    I would think someone like you would agree that managing a player's fitness is essential in professional soccer, and preventing injuries like these has nothing to do with chance or bad luck, but everything with a carefully put together training program?

11. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    When you were playing as a professional?

12. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, since Bruce is in the field and agrees with me,maybe you can provide a link to an article that links all ACL injuries to lack of fitness??

I've never heard of it being linked 100% to anything except being more prevalent in females....

13. warmblooded

warmblooded BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 2004
    Clowntown, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.ussoccer.com/media-library/Videos/US-Men/2012/01/120106-S90.aspx

Speaking of science, here's a new video on ussoccer.com. I can't embed the video for some reason. Nice to see Cameron implying that he's doing well on some of the fitness tests. With John and Gonz out, he's the player that I am most excited about keeping track of during this camp. He might be the most versatile American player in the entire pool.

14. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how would that be relevant?
    I can tell you this much, left during a game at 15 taking a corner, right in a Judo tournament completing an uchimata (that one was horrid-foot wound up pointing backwards) and the left again during a stop and turn, again in a game around the 16 meter line while stepping in a sprinkler depression (oh I forgot no one calls it the 16meter line)

15. dsnipes1

dsnipes1 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    please refer me to several relevant studies that prove this, because there are a multitude of examples of absolute world class athletes at the their very peak of "fitness" that have suffered a variety of ligament injuries.

16. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've deleted a couple of posts.

Another quick reminder is in order. The purpose of the News and Analysis forum is straightforward discussion and analysis of issues pertinent to the USMN teams. There are limits to things like aggressive or confrontational posting and even things like sarcasm in here that are far more stringent than in the USA Men forum. We appreciate your willingness to abide by those limits.

1 person likes this.
  17. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the major situations where ACL injuries occur are in poor field conditions. This backed up by empirical data, and can be found easily if you are actually interested, with google.

In a situation where there are often poor field conditions, there are often unfit players.

From The Female Athlete Perspective (published by Canadian Sport for Life):
    lots of good info about prevention, easily googled if you are actually interested...
    Girls suffer higher injury incidence rates compared to boys, particularly in sports such as cross-country running, gymnastics and soccer. Injuries to the knee are greater in girls compared to boys with soccer having the highest injury rate, followed by basketball, field hockey, softball and volleyball. The reasons underlying increased injury rates in women compared to men include hormonal influence on neuromuscular control, ligament laxity as well as anatomic and biomechanical factors. Some of these factors that increase the risk for injury in women may be altered. Successful modification of these factors may lead to reduced injury.

18. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    What are you trying to say about Gonzo'? :p

19. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    I watched that too.

For those others who have, does anyone else get a little pit in their stomach that the new regime maybe has their sights trained on the wrong gopher hole?

I mean, has lack of athleticism been our big shortcoming? I don't know but I would have been so much more enthused about what the up-and-comers at this camp were going to be exposed to if it had been some sort of Mourinho-esque tactical analysis or some program by which in-game movement was assessed and given back to the individuals as feedback rather than just a blood test.

Count me unimpressed.

20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm with you. Get every player a subscription to 'Men's Health.'

This is basic athletic street science. Nutrition classes? Really? Veggies are good? Eat lean protein instead of an In and Out Burger? No shit, thanks Athlete's Performance. Protein shakes 30 minutes after a workout? Hell, Landon Donovan does Gatorade commercials ad naseum on Fox Soccer Channel for it.

Don't get me wrong, as a middle aged soccer player/cyclist/triathlete, I would love to go through a camp like that. It would be great to refine my workout, but these players should be going through this stuff on a regular basis with club teams. VO2 and Anaerobic Threshold should not be anything new to them.

And if you want to work for US Soccer Athlete's Performance, better lose the adidas clothing and get the swoosh on your threads.

21. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    uh dude. this is from the first day or two of camp ... you know when they are just assessing everybody's fitness and setting a plan FOR THE WHOLE CAMP.

the camp is weeks long ... calm down, i am sure they will have many many training sessions and classroom discussions about tactics ... one nutrition seminar does not make it impossible for them to have other types of seminars throughout the camp ... sheesh.

also remember these are the fringy fringe guys ... like USMNT C team ... they might need exposure to this "basic" information more than the USMNT A teamers would.

22. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    isn't strange how people worry about things, forgetting that even Germany now does that. Didn't before Klinsmann but now is standard practice not only Germany but in Europe in general.

23. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Umm, should be is right. However, this is Camp Cupcake. Full of younger guys. You can't assume here.

24. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    What's a Typical Day in January Camp Like? Here's the Schedule

http://www.ussoccer.com/Social/MNT-...&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

8 a.m. - Training Room/Equipment Room open
    8:30 a.m. - morning run (30 minutes)
    9:05 a.m. - pick up protein smoothies and have breakfast
    9:45 a.m. - Training Room/Equipment Room open
    10:45 a.m. - depart for field
    11 a.m. - Training (75 minutes)
    12:30 p.m. - cold plunge, lunch at Athlete's Performance
    2 p.m. - Nutrition lecture
    3:15 p.m. - Training Room/Equipment Room open
    4:15 p.m. - depart for field
    4:30 p.m. - Training (75 minutes)
    6:15 p.m. - cold plunge at Athlete's Performance