July 3rd US v Canada roster, pre/during/post [R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FearM9, Jun 30, 2004.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=77431&itype=113&iCategoryID=0

Don't shoot the messenger!!!!

Lorrie Fair huh? She originally didn't want to play in the Home Depot Festival until Heinrichs convinced her. I was asleep during the Philly match...did she light up the stadium or something!? Heck...she wasn't even in camp when it first started right? Was she even named to any of the rosters in the past couple of games? I don't think so.

Oy...no Mac. This ain't gonna go over well....

2. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    I'd be willing to bet that Fair and Roberts are the two reserves out of the 20 players listed there.

It should be interesting to see who the other two reserves are when the final 18 + 4 is named tomorrow.

No MacMillan doesn't surprise me. She's got one goal in 12 games played this year. That's not exactly stellar.

3. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

it doesn't matter whether she was in the camp or not, as the matter of fact there're actualy alot more players out there who deserve to be on the roster....

4. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I think we need another defender since BChaz still has a bum foot. I just don't know yet if I'd name a 3rd keeper or maybe go with Welsh.

Her fans think otherwise.

5. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    I'd take Welsh and Mullinix as the last two reserves, but what the hell do I know about soccer.

Being a fan is a lovely thing, but I still say she wouldn't be on my 18. Her runs are all wrong. She can't score to save her life. *shrug*

Mac fans can argue, however, that she's being replaced by a kid who doesn't have a single goal for the US in 2004.

Oh, and O'Reilly hasn't suited up for the USofA since February 3rd against Canada at the Four Nations Tournament.

6. yophilly

yophilly New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Upset are we FEAR lets start the bashing.

7. cloudedmind

cloudedmind BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 7, 2004
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm really surprised about Mullinix and Welsh not being on the roster. And the presence of Fair and Roberts... as well as O'Reilly.

I've long learned not to question things that don't make sense, because the explanation is probably stupider then thing itself.

8. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    Fear, or anyone else who may know, answer a question for me, please.

The final 18 that will be named tomorrow have to be from 1 to 18, right? So players with a number higher than 18 will have to be renumbered, correct?

9. yophilly

yophilly New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    To answer your ? They will be renumbered

10. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I just looked back at the 2000 results of the Handball game in Sydney and the US players go all the way up to 18, but I honestly can't remember if prior to the Auslympics there were any players that were in the 18+ range.

11. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    Thanks to both of you. I thought they would be renumbered, but the fact that there are reserves was throwing me off.

I guess it shouldn't have. There are reserves at the World Cup and you never hear about their numbers.

1 through 18 it is.

12. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    For some odd reason I thought she was named to the roster in the last game or the game before that, but didn't end up playing. Or am I mixing her up with Welsh.

:confused:

13. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    You are right, sir. I stand corrected.

She suited up for the Brazil game and was the only player who didn't get playing time. She was there for an injured Hucles.

14. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Heather O. played against Mexico, did she not?

15. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    Damn, people. Memories like elephants.

Yeah, she played against Mexico. Thanks for catching me on that one.

So my statement about O'Reilly having not seen time since February is out the window. I don't remember her doing much against Mexico other than running around really fast, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    At least MacMillan is gone.

Two more cuts are necessary before the Olympics.

I see six that I might cut: Lorrie Fair, Tiffany Roberts, Brandi Chastain, Cindy Parlow, Angela Hucles, and Heather Mitts.

Picking just two: Tiffany Roberts and Heather Mitts. I only assume that Chastain and Hucles are actually healthy. We can wear Parlow out against the minnows and save Wambach for the games that count.

If I could redo the last cuts before the Olympics, I'd put Bivens, Chalupny, and Welsh back on the squad and cut Roberts, Mitts, Chastain, Parlow, and whichever is playing worse at the moment: Hucles or Fair.

17. pillips@webtv.net

pillips@webtv.net New Member

Mar 25, 2004
    Nice post, I like the paragraph about parlow and Wambach. sorry about Mac.

18. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I think Mac will make it as an alternate cuz the Fawcett kids will need a nanny.

-----------

I just looked up the FIFA rules for the Oly and if I am reading it correctly...a team may choose to have UP TO 4 players and 4 is not a requirement.

19. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i'm forced to deal with reality, since the u.s. soccer article says that the released players are eligible only for the 4 replacement spots.

therefore from the 20 left on ape's list, which 2 do i leave off the final 18?

mmmmmmmmmmm...fair (did she do anything in the festival that says she has claimed a place? roberts did imho), and aaaaaaaaaah parlow (she's too slow,we already have wambach, and we need o'reilly's speed). i still haven't seen anyone close to her speed on the u.s or any other world team.

20. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    Duck and cover, man. Duck and cover.

You said it, not me.

21. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, knock me over with a feather. I thought Welsh/Chalupny/Bivins were higher on April's list than Fair/Hucles/O'Reilly. We all knew the Mac cut was coming. Some may not have wanted it or agreed with it but we all knew it would happen. With the Bivins cut*, I suppose once you find yourself in April's doghouse you're there for a long time. Hucles and Brandi better be 100% healthy gameday for the Greece game (not that everyone else shouldn't be but you know what I mean).

*please note, I'm not a fan of Bivins as a nat defender at this point in her career. It is interesting to see how fast she's fallen from the WWC.

My two cuts for the 18: Fair and Roberts but any two of the Fair/Roberts/Hucles works. Hucles gets the edge because she's a bit bigger. If she's not healthy then I'm extra annoyed with her inclusion.

22. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other thing about Hucles, of course, is that she can actually score more than once in a blue moon...

23. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I think I can possibly understand why Fair and TR were both named...correct me if I'm wroing, but haven't both of them played d-mid before? Just suppose Boxx gets injured (which I doubt won't happen), Fair and TR have the experience of playing in that position. Going over April's cuts, other than Fair and TR...I just don't see anyone else that has played d-mid before for this team. Of course I could be wrong. Has Ozzy played there?

24. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    From Soccer America....

http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=562134732

To the BS posters that were in Blaine, MN several weekends ago...please check in with your thoughts on how Siri played for the Freedom. Any noticeable sign of a shoulder injury. I did see her play junk minutes this past Sunday when I was laying on the couch in my Valentine's boxers, but it didn't appear to me she was injured.

EDIT

Apparently Siri didn't play junk minutes for the Chodes on Sunday...she played the second half. And when they were in Blaine she played the first half.

If she was indeed suffering from a shoulder injury...why jeopardize your career in two meaningless games?

[​IMG]
    Scott Bales/Yellow Card Journalism

25. WCC Fan

WCC Fan New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    I've seen Osborne play defensive midfield, attacking midfield, winger, and forward, but that doesn't mean she's ready for prime time. I'm sure she will be in the near future along with LePeillbet. I think Chalupny's ready now, but she seems to have gotten squeezed out by Hucles.

I'd bet the house Roberts and Fair are alternates. They're versatile and either could replace an injured player without getting fazed by the sudden limelight. I'd have gone in a different direction, but I understand Heinrichs rationale.

It's a reasonable squad, but will the coach know what to do with it?