Julian Green at SpVgg Greuther Fürth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Aug 20, 2015.

1. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing against 2nd place Hamburger in a 4-1-4-1. Starting a big DM next to Green in the AM slot should play much more like a 4-2-3-1 with double #6s.

wixson7 repped this.
  2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much impact and picked up 2 YC in the space of 10 minutes in the 2nd half and was sent off!

3. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The 2nd yellow card was given for a dive. Green is unfortunate in the sense that the play should have been called offside before he committed the dive.

https://streamable.com/u2w9e

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Double-unfortunate, a second yellow for a dive is something you don't see every day. Otherwise, they frankly play just as poorly without him around. The good news is that right now he's no longer the worst 2.Bundesliga player, as per Kicker, but the second worst.

5. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Ronaldo once received a second yellow for diving although it was controversial. So, rare, but not unheard of!

6. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Public shame for flopping and trying to get the ok. Straight red if you ask me. A forearm nudge doesn't cause both feet to stop functioning.

Despise that stuff. (Old man here)

7. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guy should get a three match ban for that crap. Not only is it poor sportsmanship, it was just god awful acting. One match ban for bringing the game into disrepute with an additional two for incompetence.

wixson7 repped this.
  8. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's a little harsh...there was at least some contact by the defender. I've seen much worse go unpunished.

...something tells me MLS is in Green's future...

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  9. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm the first guy to tell you that I don't rate MLS as a league or the product on the field. I can't see that Julian could warrant a salary in MLS.

10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if terrence boyd can then julian green can....there's been plenty of players with similar backgrounds who've recently moved from europe to MLS....besides "a salary" is pretty vague...there's quite a range of salaries in MLS these days.....if green wanted to be in MLS it would be easy for him to jump over, imo....

11. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you massively overrate the bottom half of MLS starters, and all MLS bench options.

adam tash repped this.
  12. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The penalty was a 50/50 call and was more a result of the ref at that point getting fed up with Julian. he did meg the CB and was pushed with arms extended by the CB. He was never going to get to the ball so a no-call would have been fair.

BL2 matches can get very chippy and Green tends to be in the middle of confrontations, sticking up for teammates and getting on the refs. Green gets more than his fair share of hard challenges and will dish out his own share of hard fouls. He can be annoying and the there may be some ex-FC Hollywood resentment. The irony is that if Julian had that physical maturity and tough mentality a few years ago he would still be in the BuLi!

This may sound weird but I can see why Pep was so high on Green. His technical/tactical skill set translates to a more cerebral style of play. Most of the time his Furth team mates are not looking for him and are not trying to combine with him inquick passing combos which is where Green can excel.

13. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I'd argue that Green is a step below the Ream/Morales/Lichaj zone at this point. If Berhalter likes him, then he'll have a shot at the team. Otherwise, I would expect Green to be on the outside looking in until he lights up the 2. Bundesliga like Bobby Wood did with Union Berlin.

14. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fair, I just don't see MLS teams salivating at the prospect of a Julian Green falling in their lap at anything near what he salary he is on in Germany. I haven't looked up the stats to confirm but if he is rated as the 2nd worst player in the 2BL, and I know that's flawed and all, but even if he is in the bottom 10th of the players in the 2BL, he ain't coming to MLS for anywhere near what he would demand.

15. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody's "salivating" over Julian Green, but plenty of "lower league" players get bought into MLS all the time. Everyone knows Bradley Wright-Philips of League One fame, but few people know that Florian Jungwirth was a 2.Bundesliga player. Or that Quiashvilli was a former Eredivisie player on loan from Legia Warsaw before auto-starting for SJ. Or that Magnus Karlsson was a very mediocre Swedish league player who has bounced around Scandinavia and China.

There are dozens of not-very-good foreign players from leagues around Europe in MLS.

TheHoustonHoyaFan and adam tash repped this.
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I downgraded Green from expected Bundesliga starter to expected 2.Bundesliga starter. At this point I'm not even sure he's 2.BuLi quality.

He could play the Boyd role in MLS, as I expect to be: late no-impact sub. Actually, I think they got Boyd for the tattoo: if he ever manages to score one, the Cyclops Run is going to be epic.

17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Given how awful San Jose was last season, none of that is a ringing endorsement for Green in MLS.

Green's probably a $200k-$250k player in MLS. That makes him a starter for lousy teams and a backup for good ones, and that tracks with how I'd view him. There's no way he starts for a team like New York or Atlanta, but Minnesota, Cincinnati, San Jose, Chicago? Sure, he might.

superdave repped this.
  18. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds exactly what I said, so I agree.

He's a backup or a starter on a bad team. That's faaaar from "not worth a salary in MLS".

19. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transfermarkt has MLS with a bit higher market value per team than the 2. BL. That's with Transfermarkt being a German website and MLS spending disproportionately on attackers. Unlike Green, Jungwirth isn't an attacker. And Jungwirth was solidly rated in the 2. BL per Whoscored. Went to solidly rated MLS player. Whoscored has Green as among the lowest rated 2. BL starters.

MLS is also a rapidly improving league from investment and development that wasn't previously in existence, while others, especially lower levels who have a cap by definition, are relatively static. So these comparisons become antiquated. As for the NYRB ones, they find diamonds in the rough, showcase them, and make them better. They also took Aaron Long from Seattle's reserves and made him the best cb in MLS. That doesn't mean some bad starting defender from USL can also be a viable starter for Houston Dynamo.

Green is a bench player in MLS, after maybe starting initially and being overpaid from being an outside acquisition and US national teamer. Think Mix Diskerud several years later in MLS' evolution. Green's tunnel vision style also fits better in small spurts against tired legs. If he's going to be used for the national team, this is how it should be. Although, speaking of an NYCFC comparison, a guy like Jonathan Lewis is a better version of him.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Green should get a bit of a bump for being a Yank. Everybody gets a bit of a bump in their own league.

21. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not if you start out as a domestic in MLS. It's indisputably the opposite when it comes to attackers who aren't being acquired as DP's or w/ allocation money. So that's what would benefit Green, as well as being a national teamer for that country.

22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Whatever the pop psych behind it, the reality is that right now, at this point, he's not a good player.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Having watched Cincinnati's opener, Green would both help them and perhaps also be too much of a luxury player for them as defense is as much an issue as offense.

Green's biggest "big ticket" issue is that he, like a number of players, is not enough of a 2 way player to have his defense/work-rate make up for his "not quite top tier" attacking talents. A guy like, say, Wes McK can play both ways. He may not be as elegant in the attacking 3rd as Green, but he will win you more headers, come up with more 50-50 balls, and you can count on him to drop into a DM role when needed. He's also not a team leader, from what I've seen. He's a decent, sometimes very good, cog in the wheel, but he rarely the engine. Just not his thing.

I do think Green needs to get out of Germany, simply for a change of scenery. Either Ered, Jupiler, or low Ligue 1/high Ligue 2 might play to his strengths more. Or MLS, but lower MLS teams tends to rely so much on a couple of attacking talents and I don't think Green has the personality to drive a team.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada