Julian Green at SpVgg Greuther Fürth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Aug 20, 2015.

1. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Furth is really poor playing defense. Getting rid of their DM turned out to be a very bad choice.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    His defensive work today merits a mention. Even if he didn't do anything notable in attack, whatever the numbers say. He was NOT a CM though. He was supposed to stick to his SS role, but Fürth was such a mess in the middle, he often had to track back as if he were a CM.

I suspect that's why he got replaced, for failing to stick to the (dumb) plan.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Aue? Ouch.

Streaky Bacon repped this.
  4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m perplexed at how guys like Parker aren’t considering/considered to play In bl2 they’d walk into 90 percent of the teams in it

5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Why would they want to do that?

adam tash repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Up at 4 am watching Green, who's playing on the left today (in a 4-2-3-1, narrow) and already losing 0-1 after St. Pauli scored in the 20'.

freisland repped this.
  7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    St. Paul won 2-0. Green started and played 56 minutes.

With one more match before the winter break, Furth is starting to slip. Although they're still a comfortable 9th place in the table, they've fallen out of the promotion fight with only 4 points in the last 7 matches.

Notably, Kicker currently shows 206 players who have played enough matches this season to list in its Top Player rankings for the 2. Bundesliga. As of last week's matches, Green is rated to be in a tie for the worst player, tied for 205th place, in the entire 2. Bundesliga, with an average match rating of 4.38.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I fell asleep waiting for the second half, so I missed 10 minutes of Green. I didn't think he was terrible in the first half, but he didn't do much going forward either. I think Kicker is harsh rating him the worst player in the 2.BuLi, although when he disappears for long stretches of the game they're basically playing with 10.

9. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m watching the match. Green is playing on the left central side of a 4-2-2. A couple of passes and movement off the ball but not heavily involved. The match is frenetic, choppy, and chippy at this point with both teams not able to hold possession long. Furth rocked one of the post and and Sand had a shot well saved.

TheHoustonHoyaFan and edcrocker repped this.
  11. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Green plays 90 and Furth earn a 0-0 draw.

With the winter break starting in Germany, Furth will finish between 9th and 11th in the table with 24 points. They started strong but faded badly with only 5 points in the last 8 matches.

Green played 16 out of 18 league matches (started 14), and started the 1 DFB Pokal match, compiling 1 goal and 2 assists in aggregate.

12. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    I don’t know how you have it in you to watch some of these matches unless you’re local to the area and a club supporter.

Winoman repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I do it to see Green, who for a while seemed the closest guy to a playmaker we had (he's been playing that position, basically).

This is his first game I don't watch this season. At this point I'm convinced he's not good enough, although I don't think he deserves to be considered the worst player in the 2.BuLi by Kicker* (4,38 average for the season, #204 out of 204 for players who have played in at least half of the games).

The guy is just poor. He didn't produce on the wing, he failed to produce as a striker, and he's not producing in the hole behind the striker. He's looked better with the NT, in the past, although the last matches he played for them he was also subpar.

For me, it's time to move on.

----
    * http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/...bundesliga/2018-19/topspieler-der-saison.html

14. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is their normal lineup I think I know why results have been so poor lately

15. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. Perhaps the Julian Green fanboys will read this and stop claiming that he's tearing it up in the 2.B.

16. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I struggle to watch 2.BL matches on Fox Match Pass because they do not show the score or game time nor do they have announcers. I often have soccer games like these just running in the background and rely on the announcer getting excited to start paying attention. With 2.BL matches that doesn’t work.

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Green scored 2 in a 3-0 win.

now he needs to be more productive in 2BL in 2nd half of season.

19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3020 BostonRed, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Winoman and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  21. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    Very interested how Berhalter views Green because time and time again he does not impress in league play. Although every now and then for the usmnt he does something good. He is very much an Adu-like player.

Hopefully with new guys emerging like Holmes, Amon, Gall, Sabbi, Baird, Lewis, Lletget, etc he doesn’t not call him up unless he plays good for his club team.

22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Holmes, Gall, and Lletget are all older than Green. Lletget by 3 years.

ChuckMe92, DHC1 and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  23. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  24. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Furth brought in 2 below-average BL2 players as reinforcements, a Big DM in Seguin and a left sided attacker in Kenny Prince Redondo.

Seguin is likely an upgrade at DM having spent a couple of years at Wolfsburg.

Redondo is a bigger more physical version of Green and looks to have taken Julian's slot. Furth looks like they are trying to play a contain and counter 4-4-2 empty-bucket which does not play to Julian's strengths.

25. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And on cue, he gets a straight red in his debut.

The Irish Rover and Midas Mulligan repped this.