Julian de Guzman

Discussion in 'Canada' started by olafgb, Nov 4, 2002.

1. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    de Guzman

German sports magazine 'kicker' had a short article on de Guzman's performance for Hannover against Wolfsburg in today's edition:

De Guzman puts Lala under pressure

He has everything a ‘modern’ midfielder needs: quickness, aggressiveness, strong technical skills, vision and despite only being 5’6” tall he’s also strong in duels, even in the air. Julian de Guzman is THE discovery at 96. The Canadian replaced in his second game in the starting formation the yellow-suspended Altin Lala – and now is more than a replacement for the established Albanian. “After such a performance you have little reason to change again”, said head coach Ralf Rangnick. De Guzman – in summer only thought to be a player to fill the roster – stays modest: “No matter what comes, I’ll stay a young player who still has to learn a lot”.

2. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thanks for the translation. It is good to see Julian is starting to make a name for himself with Hannover.

3. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    I know that this is a Yanks board but I know that some Canadians are posting here too so I'm going to make a post about Julian de Guzman.

I'm quite sure that he will be a great player.
    I saw him against Wolfsburg and he played a very good game and he is just 21.
    He was feisty, quick, aggressive and very good technically, I really liked what I saw.
    In Hannover's biggest newspaper Bobic was quoted: "Julian played like a world class playerd today" and manager Kind said: " He was phenomenal!"

He even was in the headline.
    [​IMG],
    which means that de Guzman played like Effenberg when he used to be a real good player.

4. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    in before the mods closed it! woooohooooo!!!!!

[​IMG]

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Moved from YanksAbroad.

6. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thanks for the news about Julian. Canadian fans are excited about his potential to become a great player. He is still young, and any time he can get with the first team will help him.

Please keep us updated on how Julian is doing..

7. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    For the Wolfsburg game kicker rated him 2 (scale 1 to 6 with 1 being best) - often this is enough to be in the 'Team of the Matchday', but this time he missed it narrowly.

8. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Bayern München vs. Hannover 96 will be broadcasted tonight so I'm sure olaf can give a good inside about Julian's play.

9. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Sorry guys, I didn't see that there was a Canada board which already had a de Guzman topic.

De Guzman just had a really huge chance to score a goal in the first minute of the match, it was so close, he should have made that, damn!

10. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Sorry, didn't read this thread in a while. I only got to know about the broadcast when zapping and didn't really follow the game too close. The announcer was very satisfied with Julian though. His rating last week in Kaiserslautern was 3, which is actually quite good.

kicker had another article on him in the edition today:

DISCOVERY DE GUZMAN – “A FAN WHO’S ALLOWED TO TAKE PART”

When he was missing at the 3:1 against Wolfsburg because of a yellow-suspension, Altin Lala could smile about the jokes. “Without you it’s working better”, was told to the midfield fighter. Nobody wanted to believe that the small Albanian might lose his position in the starting lineup. Especially not he himself.

One week later in Kaiserslautern it was certainty: despite being fit Lala was on the bench, “an entirely new experience”. On his position next to the seeded Spaniard Jaime: Julian de Guzman, 21 year old Canadian, who was transferred from D2 demoted 1.FC Saarbrücken as add-on player, and even smaller than Lala.

Not only for GM Ricardo Moar de Guzman is the positive surprise. Even prior to left winger Mohammadou Idrissou as in the central mid “you’ve got be a complete soccer player”. De Guzman is at least on the way to become such a player. “Jaime is the man with genius passes, Lala the best fighter. De Guzman is their mixture”, characterises coach Ralf Rangnick his three candidates for the two spots. “The French school of Olympique Marseille is evident, soccer style as well as character. He is incredibly modest”. Indeed he characterises himself as “young player who’s got to learn a lot”. His agent Dr. Michael Becker says: “From his joy of playing de Guzman is a fan who suddenly is allowed to take part in the Bundesliga”.

Meanwhile Lala admits to have difficulties to deal with the situation. “It is frustrating, I am no substitute player”. In the training units, admits Rangnick, “Lala is the best player. Impressing how he creates new pressure with his performance”. A secure winner of the duel Lala vs de Guzman is already certain: Hannover 96.

11. CanuckFan2

CanuckFan2 New Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Calgary
    Thanks for that

Looks like Julian is making a great impression in Hannover.