Juan Fernando Quintero news & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by BigSoccer Bot, Sep 17, 2009.

1. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So? Quintero had a wonderful tournament, deserves to be called before Roa or Montoya.

2. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Dont think so.....in the matches where had to showed he failed.

Libertadores and the key against Cali.

Professionalism and compromise is important, he doesnt have

crzdcolombian repped this.
  3. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Woah. I get you don't like him. We all get that. But don't try to take merit away from the kid with things that aren't true.

Quintero was the best guy on the field in the second leg of the semifinal. He was voted MOTM in both of the matches against Melgar. He was pretty good in the away win against River. I thought he was one of Dim's best in the 2nd Emelec match. The first match against River was bad, but all of DIM was bad in that rain.

He had a GREAT season in all tournaments. It's not fair to blame him for all of the failure and ignore the countless times he carried DIM on his back.

As for professionalism, when did he give any indication that he was in any way unprofessional these past 6 months?

Hovaaa, pibe10 and colombianballa91 repped this.
  4. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I'll chime in on this MLS thing...

Like all of you, I see this potentially the rock bottom or the descent towards it. MLS is not going to give him a ton of exposure and he won't be facing better competition than he'd find in, say, the Libertadores. Don't like it at all...

However, there are a couple potential positives:
    1. He's not going to get a break. Fitness has always been his issue--MLS does not end until November. Keeping this momentum of training and actually playing matches throughout the Summer is a great way to remedy a lot of his former problems.
    2. You've got to run in MLS. He's going to get A LOT of minutes from the get-go due to his sheer talent. MLS lacks his kind of flair. But he'll have be putting in a ton of work to keep getting minutes. He needs those kinds of demands that, at times, he may have been missing at DIM.
    3. The big stars easily get loaned to bigger leagues during MLS's offseason.

This may all be moot though...I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere else. OCFC's website makes no mention of it whatsoever.

5. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    problem with the US like Mexico is if he does well they won't let him leave for cheap. Making it tough for Euro teams of his quality. Midtable down in the big 5 Euro league to get him

6. colombianballa91

Jul 2, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Benedetti and Roa dont have bad games? Dont know much about Benedetti but never liked Roa, kid does not have half the talent of Quintero. Everyone has bad games, for the most part Quintero has done well at DIM. If you want to question his stamina and work rate thats all fair game but you cannot tell me that Quintero would not have at the very least an impact as a super sub for the NT.

7. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1. The serie in Cali were two games not only the obe thatdecided to play

2. Game against river away ? Please they wee eliminated ...river played with subs ( they were qualified ) . Wasn't an important match ...then matches against Melgar (so people rate so high this guy the reencarnation of Colombian football because he play good against Melgar ....

He was a reinforcement for libertadores , they annunced him with that intention ...in that tournament he didn't make difference

Great season ? Yea like so many Colombian midfielders

But come on with the expectations and defense that you have for this guy ...he should be more than acceptable

8. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The problem of have bad games ...is that you have bad games in important matches . He was a reinforcement for libertadores to be the leader of that team and they failed

Stijl talking about nt with this Guy ? Hahha the guy is going to mls...failed in top football , yes he was crack against Huila and jaguares...that isn't elite

In play offs u-23 he wast able to make difference , despite he was the more "expensive " of the field

9. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Montero could left but he returned as a worse player that he was in Cali

This guy castillo don't know how is perorming in turkey

I don't know if he is going to be outstanding in mls.....but according to comments here be star against envigado and huila is enough

10. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Don't resort to this absurd hyperbole. Nobody has said anything remotely like that about Quintero in years. The only time he received that kind of praise was during the sub 20s. You've watched any of those tournaments, you know that there are several "next Maradona" or "next golden generation" type of monikers that get thrown around. Some pan out, most don't. It's natural to have high expectations for players who shine above the competition at a young age. All the nations and all fans do it.

Don't discredit the River match either. It was important, as DIM still had possibilities to qualify. Had Melgar managed to get a result against Emelec, Dim would have advanced. We know now this was too little too late, but it did get them qualified to the Sudamericana instead. Also, River had a mixed squad. Alario, Fernandez, and Mina are starters,
    You're bending your own logic. If he was signed for the Libertadores, why are you dismissing his performances against Melgar? Were they not Libertadores matches? Moreover, put them into context. Dim lost the opening match against River in an ugly manner (Quintero scored). He was out injured for the second match where DIM lost to Emelec. DIM was practically eliminated from the tournament at the point the two Melgar matches came up. He was rushed back into the lineup and gave DIM those 6 points. He made a difference.

Dude, the sarcasm. It's very hard to understand your sarcasm in English. Beyond that, is it necessary? Be direct. Tell me what you mean to say. Is this an indictment against the Colombian league? Colombian players in general? I can't tell...

I'll try to move this point to some direction: So, what qualifies a "great season" then, Pep? Who are players you deem to have had great seasons?

What defense? You made claims that are incorrect. Nothing I said in my post is wrong or out of proportion.

Note, also, that my claim that Juan had a great season is backed by facts (8 goals 6 assists in 15 Liga matches (3 subs), 2 goals 2 assists in 5 Libertadores matches), detailed breakdowns (I made a post about most of the Libertadores matches on this thread and I'm the guy who cuts the highlight videos people post on this site), and "expert" opinion. El Tiempo has him as the best player of the semester.

Also, you wrote another contradiction. If I deem his season great, you're implying that my expectations are low. You know damn well I have high expectations for him.

HomietheClown repped this.
  11. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #2536 pepinointer, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    1 .He was brought to reinforce the champion of Colombia in this moment to have an stronger team in liberadores . ( September 2016)

2. When you think in a reinforcement in liberadores is a player that wil make difference against river ( when both teams take serious the match ) , palmeiras, coló coló , Mexican teams , Brazilian , striking teams ......not Melgar de Arequipa isn't a secret .

Considering that and the expectations his season wasn't so great and he didn't prove nothing new ...all we know he is talented but people is waiting for that senior Colombian player that haven't emerged

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  13. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't understand...Porto's midfield is soooo goood so they don't have a place for him? Didn't they see him in the last semester?

14. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They watched him for two years already...

and surely they wacthed important matches of dim.....like libertadores, where he wasnt,.

15. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We'll disagree on that. There's no way that he doesn't worth a spot in Porto's current squad in his current form, including a spot in Pekerman's list.

16. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    His current form was outstanding agaisnt huila, tolima and those teams, not agaisnt river..........Porto have know him well. KNow very well his attitude

17. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    883748541251846144 is not a valid tweet id

882601695406108672 is not a valid tweet id

18. Hovaaa

Hovaaa Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Boston
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What a waste of talent

19. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Other sources say his contract with DIM expired this weekend. Reports came out months ago about how he wouldn't stay in Medellin past this semester.

This sounds like scandal-hunting media to me.

20. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He has a better potential then half of their midfielders. As for his attitude, I want to believe that he matured enough then two years ago. Still a mistake by Porto if you ask me.

21. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The mistake of porto was renewing him...

22. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You really dislike him, huh?? :)

Azucarero repped this.
  23. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #2548 pepinointer, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Why is so difficult to be objective?? we dont have to love him because he is colombian. People here said that varane is bad because a seaon....but nobody cant criticises quinterito....stop with the bias.

Explained me how good he have been a good investment for porto?

1.They paid money for him.

2. All coaches that he had in porto complained about him and left him out of the squad...

3. He is loaned to france where the coach complained him and they prefered to canceled the loan.

4. he didnt played in 2016 because of this.

5. In this moment nobody knows where he is going to play.

Explained how porto have benefited about this dude???

He havent been a good investment.

You dont pay for a player to be the best player in a south american league against huila, envigado and tigres.....they bought to be an star in portugal and he had opoortunities with a lot of coachesl,

expain me how renewed him was a smart choice??

dapip repped this.
  24. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I didn't say it was a smart choice but I also all for to give a second chance. And Quintero has talent whether you like it or not. Nothing to do with the fact that he is Colombian. I'm not the only one who think he had a good season last semester. Porto's midfield doesn't include Jamrs, Isco and Kroos and Portuguese league is not among Europe's top. So why don't you think that he doesn't hve a place or doesn't deserve a second chance? He is already belong to Porto. They have nothing to lose.

25. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well he's been shipped off from every team he's played in and I'm sure their is a reason. No matter the potential something isn't adding up. What's the point of having someone with talent if he's not being a complete professional

pepinointer and dapip repped this.