Jozy on loan at Hull, Part IV [R]: "Brownie, you're doing a Hull of a job."

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    He said mid to low table clubs!! haha

I like the sound of lots of Americans though

2. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Have a thing for accents,do you:p

3. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Depends what accent...;)

4. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    The Anelka comparison doesn't work for me because he's more of a pure slasher whereas Jozy is a hybrid slasher/target forward.

In addition to the points about familiarity with local football culture and teammates, which you dismiss out of hand because they don't match up with your preconceived notions, I'll add the fact that the Prem of the mid 90's is not the Prem of today. Ignore at your leisure.

If I were to describe the areas where Jozy and turn of the century Heskey differ I'd have to say that Jozy is faster/quicker, has better 1 v 1 dribbling skills, and a better long shot. Heskey was much better holding off markers when the ball was in the air (specifically with his back to goal), and he was better able to get into dangerous positions (although this may be a function of his team).

5. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Not really? You mentioned one player. Anecdotal evidence is not instructive to the point. I know that someone made reference to Anelka, which I'm baffled by personally, but in regards to strike rates/age ratio in general, I think it stands.

6. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Well, it depends on which media outlet you are reading from...

7. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are the exact same quotes in both articles! I think the Mirror is adding its usual bit of spice.

I suppose one could argue that when Jozy says "I want to be here," he means Hull. But he never mentions Hull by name.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    heskey came up with a traditional yo-yo club that had no business hanging about the upper reaches of the prem, and he had a huge amount to do with the fact that they were a factor for a couple years. overall, leis is a better club historically than hull. i'd think, but the comparison is fair.
    Also, heskey is a post bosman player, and that's themajor difference, isn't? though, to be fair, abromvich and mancity's guy have made the top more competitive. but at the bottom half, pretty much the same huge uphill struggle to survive, isn't it?

9. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    I'm sure Jozy just wants to keep getting games. As long as Hull have Hunt and Boateng playing at the top of their game, Hull can actually provide service. If Jozy could improve his tactical awareness and get his positioning and anticipation right, there will be many more goals to his name. I think his biggest problem right now is that when his team mates are looking to get the ball forward, Jozy seems to be in the wrong place half the time. When crosses come into the box, he's rarely in a good position to win the headers. I think if there is any players in the EPL today that Jozy should model his playing style after, the first names that come to mind are Bobby Zamora and Carlton Cole (mind you I mean the Bobby Zamora that appeared this season, not last season's). Jozy is probably stronger that both of them, but the two of them with their experience still do a better job of using it than Jozy does. I'd like Jozy to be able to emulate the way Cole controls the ball and goal-poaches as well

However, as much as hull may like having him, they'd need to find some extra money somewhere to afford buying him outright. Hull would be pretty dumb to let themselves get deeper in debt. The only way they'd land a permanent transfer for Jozy would be if the loan deal has a purchase clause at a fixed price and he really starts banging the goals in so that Hull believes with some certainty that if they spend the money to sign Jozy, they can sell him for a tidy profit soon after. Of course as the loan expires before the WC, Jozy would need to justify such a move in the remainder of the league games.

So Hull either can't afford Jozy, or they can't afford not to sell him soon after buying him. Either way, I don't expect Jozy to be residing in Hull come August 2011. Heck, I don't expect to see him there come this August.

10. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Jozy denying that he said anything about staying at Hull. He (Uber)tweeted that that would be disrespectful to Villareal. I wonder what his actual preferences are?

11. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Now Jozy in a near miss with a high speed 9 car police chase blowing by him. Actually had the same thing happen to me, but they didn't completely miss.

12. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posted by Jozy 3 hours ago:

A little late to the party there, huh?

13. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The mirror are actually statistically proven to get the least amount of transfer stories correct:D

14. Bremas

Bremas Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Yea, that was pretty amusing..... his return answer was Wow!

15. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
  16. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont think they can afford the 6.5m even if they stay up.

17. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    Would he want to be signed by a Championship team?

Silly story. Silly wording at least.

18. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good old mirror, never quoting anyone or otherwise substantiating the garbage they print.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Regardless, at this stage, they need him more than he needs them.

As to comparing Jozy to Shearer, it took Alan quite a while to begin scoring on a regular basis and I am not sure he was winning many MOTM's at the ripe old age of 20.

Both are power forwards with a scoring ability. Shearer had perfected his. Let's see now what Jozy can do.

20. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Where has this myth come from that Shearer wasnt scoring regular at Altidores age.

He got a hatrick on his debut vs Arsenal the league champions at the time I think. He also got 14 goals the season he was 20 years old playing as a lone striker.

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    altidore will never be half the player shearer was lol

shearer a power forward? this isnt basketball

altidore does a differnt job, id pick alan to be better in front of goal at his age now

22. Celtigo

Celtigo Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Great Lakes Region (The Other One)
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    idiotic statement about a player at the beginning of his career. You have almost no way of knowing that. As has been pointed out, you would likely have said the same thing about Drogba.

Mind you, I'm not guaranteeing Altidore will reach anything approaching Shearer's level, but to dismiss it out of hand now is asinine.

23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    im sorry but alan shearer was a world class striker

i fail to see what altidore has done to be labeled as promising enough to become a player of that calibur?

i think he could be good, but not world class

24. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you considered Drogba world class at any point in his career?

25. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Reminds me of a, IIRC, "442" article about Shearer when sold to Newcastle. The magazine asked around 8 football writers from around Europe (Kicker, C-d-S, that sort of thing) if Shearer was better than Van Basten. The two or three English writers said something like "oh he's very close to Van Basten, and perhaps better" and the non-English writers said "not nearly his caliber; never has been and never will be."