Jozy Altidore - Best Striker in CONCACAF?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by hirtme, Jun 11, 2013.

1. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Joel Campbell has a strong case as the top striker in CONCACAF right now. If I were building a CONCACAF all-star team, he would probably be my first choice based on his talent, skill, form, and potential. He ran out of gas in the knockout rounds of the World Cup for Costa Rica, but still showed his quality, and much like Clint Dempsey, I would argue that he played in a formation that doesn't necessarily play to his strengths. If he were running off of Alvaro Saborio up top, I think he would've been even more dangerous. In any case, the kid has a ton of potential and I'm really looking forward to seeing his career blossom.

I think the top group of true strikers in CONCACAF (Dempsey, Giovanni Dos Santos and Bryan Ruiz aren't "true" strikers) includes Joel Campbell, Javier Hernandez, Jozy Altidore, Alvaro Saborio, Oribe Peralta, Aron Johannsson and Blas Perez.

I don't agree with this. By age 30, right after his second World Cup, Brian McBride had 63 caps and 20 goals (.32 goals per game). At age 24, Altidore has 71 caps and 23 goals (.32 goals per game). That is a virtually identical strike rate, and while Altidore has certainly benefitted by playing with much better players (Landon Donovan) than McBride did at that time, you could also argue that Altidore has played tougher overall competition than McBride did.

Speaking of Brian McBride, one stat I just discovered which I found surprising is that only 4 of his 30 career USMNT goals were scored in friendlies.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Mr. P Mosh

Mr. P Mosh Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Monterrey, NL, Mex
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'd pick current De Nigris over Saborio and Blas Perez (and Costly)... that's just how bad they are.

3. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take McBride over Jozy any day. Better finisher.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shit, DeNigris can't score the goals Costly scored against Mexico or the USA. At club level yes, but Costly tears it up at National team level (in concacaf).

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really a 40+ year old McBride?

soccerusa517 repped this.
  6. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Joel Campbell would be my vote too.

But that list -- and the results of this WC -- show that CONCACAF is playing a pretty good level of ball. CONCACAF teams were a Marquez moment and Wondo missing an open net from having 3 quarterfinalists.

7. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy was playing the best in CONCACAF for a while, especially during qualifying and the time leading up to that - he was on a real tear. He quieted down and fell from the top spot.

Additionally, I'd say that Bake benefited from being better in the air for a team that relied a lot more on scoring from set pieces. Jozy has played with better players, but also with much better scoring midfielders. Bake, as you note, was a big-game player (and also missed more friendlies because he was overseas and more of the US team and friendlies were at home then).

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    good time to bring this back up for discussion.

I'm watching Match of the Day cover West Brom/Southampton and i'm wondering how a guy like Shane Long has started for several clubs despite having a scoring rate of like 1 goal every 5 matches in the PL. It's comparable to his stats with Ireland. 17 goals in 71 caps.

Jozy went to the wrong club. Relegation fodder clubs in the PL are something our strikers should always avoid. Just shocking though Long has an average PL career yet our boy was a "flop"

9. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Jozy had 2 goals in 70 PL appearances. How does that compare? 1 goal in 5 vs. 1 goal in 35?

B/w this and your constant defense of MB, I think you might have a bit of an inflated view of US players...

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what defense of Michael Bradley?

I'm comparing Long's stats overall. Jozy was terrible at Sunderland without a doubt. But it's just intriguing that he was that terrible, cause at Hull he did contribute far better to the attack. He had quite a few assists. Long ain't exactly a goalscorer yet he seems to keep starting for clubs across the PL. I just thought it was interesting.

11. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Jozy could've been good in Italy or Germany on a mid table club. Not sure England is the best place for him, as he sometimes gets marked out of the game by strong, athletic CBs and there are lots of those in the Prem.

But really he's not a brutish target man type anyway. I've always felt that he was kind of like a poor man's Benzema. He is good at combination play and short passing in the box. Would be effective on a team that dominates possession and has good wingers/midfielders.

On bad clubs that don't hold the ball much, counter attacking strikers like Vardy or aerial threats like Carroll are good because they can convert their one opportunity, cross, or run into a goal. Those guys maybe wouldn't be so effective on teams that hold the ball a lot and play on the ground against a packed box. I think Jozy is the opposite, which is why Sunderland was like the worst possible fit for him.

MPNumber9 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Oh, never mind, maybe that wasn't you, my apologies.

I think that's just quite a significant difference tho. If Jozy knocked in 7 or 8 goals (38/5) for a bottom feeder, he'd probably still be playing in the PL.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I concur. Unfortunately Sunderland offered AZ 11 million pounds and they couldn't turn down the money. I believe while he was at the club, Jozy was among the top earners. So that didn't help when he went an entire season without a goal.

I think it'd have been interesting to see him in Italy for a club like Bari or Cargliari or Palermo.

14. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't have to go there. They agreed on personal terms. He could have said I don't want to play for you no matter the price and AZ would be forced to sell somewhere else. He saw money and another chance at the EPL and took it. Unfortunately for him and the men's national team he selected wrong.

15. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. This is actually a title of a thread.
    Let me help with the answer: No.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It's a shame. Jozy had so many years and potential to become our best striker ever.

17. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shane Long isn't a goal scorer. What he is, is Jordan Morris. He runs and stretches the defense and links up with the wing players to threaten the defense.

Jozy, not so much. In games where he isn't getting service, he walks a lot. His stamina is questionable at best, and to be as tall as he is, he isn't very good in the air.

So in a team where chances are limited, and service won't come often. Do you want a guy who runs all out and doesn't score too much, but offers work rate to open things up? Or a guy who jogs around and doesn't score very much?

Andy Carroll doesn't score a lot anymore, but he is great in the air and wins knock down balls. It's why he stayed in the top flight for so long even though he isn't starting. Jozys entire game is built on service, not work rate. And you don't get that service on bad teams. His talent isn't going to put him in the bigger teams who can provide service. Which is why the Dutch league was perfect for him.

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I like Jozy, but best striker in CONCACAF? I'd like some of whatever whoever came up with that is smoking :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It was a while back. 1st half of 2017 he was scoring pretty damn HARD for club and country. Back then he was probably top 5 in the region. Now top 20 .

20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top 5 striker or overall? Cause he's never been top 5 overall. There's a plethora of players on Mexico that I'd take over Jozy any day of the week.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    during the first half of 2013 he was at his peak so i'd say top5