Journalistic Appraisal of USsoccerUK.com

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by mpruitt, Jan 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    One last point in this thread... apparently the BBC does care about the accuracy of it's reporting,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3434661.stm

which I suppose I always sort of knew. Maybe that's the difference in news reporting. Some people care - some don't.

2. Gareth

Gareth Member

Dec 13, 2000
    I think Yes Prime Minister stole it from your mate.. i did some digging and found this from a 1986 episode.

"A Conflict of Interest
    There is a major scandal in the City as a prominent bank is caught breaking rules and going bankrupt. Sir Humphrey is brought in for damage control, but not by the Prime Minister. (One of the best descriptions of British newspapers is in this episode: "The Times" is read by the people who run the country. The "Daily Mirror" is read by the people who think they run the country. "The Guardian" is read by the people who think they ought to run the country. "The Independent" is read by people who don't know who runs the country but are sure they're doing it wrong. The "Daily Mail" is read by the wives of the people who run the country. The "Financial Times" is read by the people who own the country. The "Daily Express" is read by the people who think the country ought to be run as it used to be run. The "Daily Telegraph" is read by the people who still think it is their country. And the "Sun's" readers don't care who runs the country providing she has big tits.) "

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think you'll find it's been a British journalist's maxim for a while. I'm not sure I got it completely right, actually, because it doesn't mention the Mirror.

4. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL
    Whew. I'm glad someone posted this, b/c I don't have time right now. (And wouldn't have done such a stellar job).

This is absolutely right, and it is not (as you imply) dated -- these are still the rules of the road.

Now, with that said, I don't go to the Drudge Report or the National Enquirer or 365's Transfer and Rumours page and then accept those nuggets of info as outright fact.

It's not as though journalism doesn't have a centuries old tradition of muckracking and rumor-mongering. (Which makes this insistence on US-ENG style and culture pretty annoying and, quite frankly, off the mark).

At issue is whether the reader/viewer/listener can rub 2 brain cells together and make a distinction about who is telling them what. On this point, I have to agree with both Andy Mead and Bill Archer, who have unwittingly converged some of their points.

Not everyone can, or more importantly, wants to make the distinction btwn "done deal" and "fluid story." Especially on these boards, there are lots of motives and reasons for that, ranging from semi-illiterate to attention whore to having an agenda.

5. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Ok, today is a good example of how Chris' site is entertaining:

http://www.ussocceruk.com/USsoccerUK_Forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=1421&start=1

Keep in mind this is the message board and not the news. he posted rumors regarding Gibbs, Kirovski and Herzog coming to MLS and possiblities as to which teams, never claiming them to be more than rumors.

By the end of the day, two have occured. When there is some level of accuracy to these things, it makes it fun to watch it unfold.

6. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    Bringing down the Bergin is kind of like saying Kevin Smith makes bad movies because the film elitists' view is that he uses too much dialogue. Or...Bob Dylan makes bad music because he can't sing. It doesn't make you any smarter. If you don't like a Bob Dylan record, pop in some Josh Groban and jam. If you don't like Kevin Smith, go rent A Thin Red Line. If you don't like Chris Bergin, then go...well, I'm not really sure where you'd go to find another site quite like his, but you get the idea, I think. And Maxim, if you're such a fond of alliteration, here's one for you: Bergin Ball Buster. Also, you're a complete tool.

7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I couldn't resist:

From Marc Connelly, ESPN:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=289965&cc=5901

GIBBS, KIROVSKI HEADING HOME
    January 31, 2004

"Sources have told ESPN.com that both Corry Gibbs and Jovan Kirovski have signed with the league, and will be allocated accordingly."

Dallas Morning News

NEGOTIATIONS CONTINUE
    February 2, 2004

"Burn officials should learn early this week if emerging U.S. defender Cory Gibbs will join the club, which begins conditioning work today when all players are required to report."

;)

This just goes to show that it is difficult to nail a transfer confirmation unless you wait for the press conference. That seems to be the main criticism of Bergin's inaccuracy.

Oh, and btw, what is the headline on USSOCCERUK you ask?

DALLAS TO CAPTURE GIBBS -- BUT NOT YET

8. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Thanks for contributing to the thread... I'm sure comparing Bergin to Kevin Smith and Bob Dylan will do wonders for his ego. I don't think I'm very personally attatched to bustin on Bergin but if my B.B.B. title works for you then hey.

9. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to me Maxim-1 that you want Bergin to hold back on his rumors and only report what he, and everybody else, knows as 100% true. Why? I love hearing rumors from Bergin. I know the point he is trying to get across, I'm not concerned about his journalistic style. He doesn't spin stories, he doesn't make stories up, he reports it as he hears it. Did you ever think that his sources don't want to be named. MLS is hush hush, just ask the average MLS fan how much a newly signed player makes.

10. Bruce

Bruce New Member

Nov 19, 1999
    Maxim, if you want a job writing with us, you may still have time. *deleted by moderator due to poor taste in putdowns*

11. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    O...K!

Well, NOW I'm convinced. This is truly the future of journalism. I can't wait until Transatlantic Soccer Ventures buys out whatever operation is employing me in the future.

12. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    What a weird thing to have this thread pop up again with something like that. What's the deal with the *deleted* part? Did he write or that or is it really a mod note? I am still looking for a job in the buisness guy I think i'd pass writing for them. I was just chomping at the bit to post another diagtrabe about them posting a report about the Revs shopping JMM, then of course the guy's over at the Rev's Matchnight site getting a quote fron Tornberg on the record flatly denying it. This of course was only to have the next report from USsoccerUk be, 'Revolution FO has been 'circumspect' regarding a proposed trade.'

And JMM, you're a good poster on these boards, but forgive me if I dont' respond to your post in that there's 22 pages on here responding or talkign about just about every point you've made.

13. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town
    There's this new feature in bigsoccer that sometimes lists similar threads at the bottom of the screen. It caused a number of ancient threads to be resurrected.

I'm 99.9% sure it wasn't edited. He must have put it there as attempted humor (and, I suppose because he couldn't think of a real putdown to use).

14. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Actually that feature's been disabled I believe. It might have been bumped due to me bitching about Bergin's practices regarding Revs looking for a new defender and linking this thread instead of trying to go through all of it again. Just very strange that someone fclaiming to be rom their camp finally decided to post on here finally, and the timing of it.

15. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    It's a mod note. I got e-mail notification with the actual text. I'll PM it to you.

16. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town
    As Beau politely didn't point out directly, :) I'm now 100% sure I was wrong.

I just re-read my email notification a bit more carefully. It was neither a funny nor a clever put-down.

17. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Yeah, I edited it out.

Ironic, don't you think?

18. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Contributing to the USsoccerUK.com community spirit

A gift from me to them.
    [​IMG]

19. Bruce

Bruce New Member

Nov 19, 1999
    We're halfway there. :p

20. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah unfortunately your style will fit in nicely with one of Beau's now infamous collegues.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully Bergin won't let suspicions and implausabilities slide because you're a good devout Christian and good devout Christians would never ever be anything other than 100% honest so there's no need to waste time investigating.

:eek: :D

22. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Page turn!!! kidding...

I'm actually going to give Bergin a small amount of props for a recent article he wrote. It's too bad that all of his stuff isn't like this but it's a very good job. Definately worth a read, and he took care to reaffirm some things that he'd reported before, which is interesting but in my mind still slightly dubious.

Hankinson puts the record straight

On the Giles Situation, Hankinson is quoted.
    It's a year after the fact and I find it strange that it took so long for him to get a quote on the situation, but it's interesting none the less.

Also, on the proposed Revs trade that I'd mentioned in a previous post...

I find his 'confrimation' a bit odd, especially in that the Revs FO was quoted as saying there were absolutely no discussion and he doesn't really come out and say that's what the proposed deal was, but I'm not going to knock Bergin too hard for this thing because if anyone has been paying attention to the NFL draw they'll know that all sorts of things are said regarding potential trades for all sorts of different reasons.

23. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Page turn!!! kidding...

I wouldn't believe the Revs FO. Of course they would deny a rumor a trade involving the most popular player of the teams history.

24. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution

Thats a fair point but a JMM for Mastro trade on paper seems to be pretty unbelievable regardless.

25. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

thats because there was more to the deal.