Josh Wolff Named Player/Assistant Coach

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Hedbal, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was sure he would soon become an Assistant Coach somewhere, and I am glad it is here, but why now? I hope it doesn't mean that Benny will be severely curtailing his minutes this season and this is a soft landing to cushion the blow. I think Josh still has a lot to give, but maybe this is the equivalent of the gold watch. (BTW, from hearing him talk about the game I think he will be a fine coaching resource.)

2. Dancy

Dancy Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Hopefully this is some kind of salary cap maneuvering that will free up the money to sign a reserve left back or center mid to push our starters.

1 person likes this.
  3. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope it DOES severely curtail his minutes.

Wolff is absolutely WORTHLESS on the field.

I'd much rather have kept Blake Brettschneider.

4. Don't Tread on Me

Aug 11, 2010
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's pretty harsh. he played in 30 games, started 23, had 5 goals and 7 assists. he contributed.

5. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you even watch DC United last year? You are utterly and completely wrong.

6. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the majority of their matches.

Stats don't tell the full story.

That said, 23 starts with 5 goals is pretty abysmal for a forward.

Given the same playing time, BB would have produced more, and I won't be surprised at all to see him put up decent numbers this year if he receives significant numbers.

7. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I don't agree with you, but there's a good chance BB will start for NE tonight, so let's see how he does.

8. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    7 assists, too. You can't just discount those.

I don't agree that BB would have produced those numbers in the same amount of time. He's just doesn't have the skill set for that.

9. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United
    So, next year the coaching staff will be Olsen, with Wolff and Ryan Nelsen (I expect to join the team this summer) as assistant coaches Chad Ashton can return to his Technical Director position.

10. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed with all this.

Wolff still brings things to the team that, at this point in his career, BB cannot. I'd still much rather have Wolff on this team.

11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    BB is a joke. I still don't see what anyone sees in him. He's slow, he's not strong, he's an average finisher at best, poor vision, can't take a player on 1v1. His redeeming quality is that he tries, but at his age Adam Cristman was already twice the striker and that's all we need to know about that.

12. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Um Wolff is a former Nats player who played awhile in Europe. BB is a nice guy who was a supplemental draft pick, is slow and couldn't beat out the supposedly inferior Wolff for playing time last year in head to head competition in practice. Yeah, BB is better than Wolff -- right.:rolleyes:

13. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Why the long face, Josh?

14. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect Wolff to most often be the forward that isn't dressed amongst Salihi, Santos, DeRo and Pontius.