Josh Wicks at IK Sirius

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  2. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Icelandic 1. Delid season ended last weekend and Thór won the league as well as promotion to the top flight.

Wicks started 8 league games and 1 Europa League game.

3. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    One does not simply replace the likes of Joe Funicello midseason! ;)

(He moved to Finland...)

5. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now please say the name of the club 3 times fast.

6. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't tell if the club is from Iceland or Narnia with that name.

taylor repped this.
  7. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    According to a preseason game matchreport on their official website Wicks seems to be trialing with swedish third tier club AFC United. He apparantly had little to do in the game but showed alot of quality in the sequences where he was involved. The game was against the american PSC Academy which has been written about in other threads on here. A funny sidenote is that the match report refers to the team as "PSC Team Brochure". I guess whoever was writing the report was given some kind of leaflet with that as a headline and assumed it was the full name?

9. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Tom Collingsworth and Testudo repped this.
  10. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josh Wicks tweeted that he signed with a third division team in Sweden, AFC United

Testudo repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what is that like $25,000 a year?

12. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta start somewhere

14. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he's 30...

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  15. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    [​IMG]

Success for Wicks and his AFC United as the club is promoted to second tier Superettan next season.

The club is actually run in a very unusual way by a controversial russian bus-company owner and millionaire who fled from his homeland, changed his name and refuses to give his previous name since people might still be after him!

16. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    I have had the chance to watch Wicks play a couple of times now at the start of this years Superettan. So far I would say that he has started out very well, he made a decent amount of high quality saves and couldn't do much on the goals conceded when I watched. The team is doing good overall too, with two wins and two losses so far in their first Superettan season in the clubs current shape. Granted, newly promoted teams tend to overperform early on in the year but the team is filled with alot of experienced player from this level so I think there's a decent chance of them staying up from what I've seen so far.

soccersubjectively, kruck and Hararea repped this.
  17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First red card of the season for Wicks this weekend!

I'd love to know the details around this one. AFC United were up 2-1 over Assyriska. An AFC United player was sent off for a second yellow in the 79th minute. Another AFC United player received a straight red in the 88th.

Wicks then got a yellow at 90+1' and another in 90+2' (presumably for arguing?).

Playing 8 v. 11 and without a real GK (they had used all their subs), they somehow scored a third goal in the ninth minute of stoppage time and won 3-1.

18. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Here you go:

I guess the lesson to be learned here is to never sarcastically clap your hands at a referee :)

19. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    "Athletic FC United"? How did an MLS expansion team not claim this name first?

UniversalAdvice, Dyvel, Baysider and 2 others repped this.
  20. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were FC Cafe Opera for most of their history. Which had to rival Go Ahead Eagles for best name in European football.

(Then they merged with Väsby IK to become Väsby United, and then with Athletic FC to become Athletic FC United.)

UniversalAdvice, beamish and JG repped this.
  21. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    I watched most of the game between AFC United and Ängelholm yesterday. It was a potential matchup between three yanks abroad, however Tristan Bowen remained on the bench where he has spent most of his time so far this season (around 90 minutes played 6 games into the league).

Ryan Finley and Josh Wicks both started for their teams and one would have hoped that this would have meant alot of situations where both the forward and his opponent goalkeeper was involved. However, this was not to be as Finley was almost completely invisible in this game. Granted that this might have been his toughest opponent so far but it was the worst game I've seen from him. All is not negative though as he still has an scoring rate of 0.49 goals per 90 games played in the league so he has been doing well overall so far.

Wicks didn't have that much to do, maybe he could have pulled off a great save on one of the goals he conceded but I think overall he has a pretty solid reputation as one of the most reliable keepers in Superettan, the commentator of the game even said this. AFC United is looking really good in general as a team and seem very likely to get promoted at the end of the year which I guess would be a nice return for Wicks to the bigger stages after alot of years out in the wilderness.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    "Might be"?

24. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    The biggest paper in Sweden did a top 5 ranking of Superettan keepers a few days ago. They point out that there are no real standouts in the league this year in the position, but that instead there's a larger bunch of capable professionals. And out of those Wicks was ranked in second place and here's a direct translation of what they wrote about him:

"Another keeper with alot of games under his belt and who's also very visible and - even more - audible during the matches. Controls his defence with an iron fist, dominates the penalty area and can come up with game winning saves. Also has great power in his right foot. I'm willing to overlook the recklessness that sometimes sneaks into his game."

song219, Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The real iron fist or this?