Jonh Oliver/Last Week Tonight vs. Televangelists

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by Ismitje, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It comprised twenty minutes of his thirty minute show this week, but if you've got the time it's worth the exploration of televangelists in America. Thought they were gone? Me too, mostly. The exchange of letters he has with televangelist Robert Tilton is worth it alone, as is his rant on the concept of "seed money" in the prosperity gospel.

2. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Jonh?

luftmensch repped this.
  4. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Who was the televangelist who was praying for a new Lear Jet? And did he ever get it?

5. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #5 usscouse, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    Huffington says....

Creflo Dollar doesn’t need your help buying a $65 million luxury jet -- not when his international ministry team has promised to buy him one.
    The board of directors behind the popular televangelist's nonprofit organization World Changers Church International has reaffirmed its support for him -- and his dream of purchasing a luxury Gulfstream G650 jet.
    The WCCI said its pastors are committed to “aggressive travel schedules” to destinations around the world, which can’t be fulfilled by any means other than a private airplane.

I guess Janice as thinking small when she just asked for a Mercedes Benz and a colour TV.

6. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Barbara Walters resurrected her interview with Jim Baker this week.

Just amazing, to me at least, is the amount of money people sent these people. There are some true idiots out there.
    $500,000 a day coming in to the PTL ( praise The Lord ) $1,000 could buy you a lifetime membership and all privileges to the club.

And let's not forget Tammy Faye.
    image.jpg

fatbastard repped this.
  7. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #7 usscouse, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    I'd forgotten how after duping all these gullible fools who believe in this benevolent grey haired mythical entity sitting in the clouds watching over them.

That, Baker Had Never Read the Bible until he went to prison. !!!!!

He was so surprised at the passages were Jesus said you can't think of money and God. Or buy yourself into heaven. "Paraphrased"

Jeez, people and their religions. No wonder the world is in a heap of shit!!!!

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Nowadays they just give it to Crossroads PAC, Club for Growth PAC, etc.