Jonathan Amon general discussion thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Suyuntuy, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    impressive

2. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was on the Adams at RB train until a couple of weeks ago. Guy has just been too good in the middle lately. Look up his game from this past weekend and it's hard to argue that he'll play anywhere other than CM the rest of his career.

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mad props to you for having an open mind. It seems like most people are so married to being "right" in their initial opinion, that they refuse to ever budge in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Miazga used to be as bad as can be with his feet. He is now actually pretty darn competent. Trusty used to be unimpressive. Well damn, the man has stepped up his game. Hell, there are people (not necessarily in this thread) who refuse to accept that Amon has more than just good wheels. Where he ends up is yet to be determined. But we have to appreciate his development from where he was to where he is. If he could just stay healthy for an extended period of time, he may even turn out to be better than the optimists here believe. We shall see.

USSoccerNova and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  4. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I hope you’re right. However, success in the minor leagues where Miazga, Amon and Adams play isn’t directly comparable to the big 4 / World Cup speeds. There are lots of guys whose games doesn’t translate at higher speeds. [note: there certainly are minor league players who can and will step up - it’s just that it’s hard to know based upon their league play.]

We’ll find out a lot more about Adam’s potential if the rumored move to B1 goes through and he earns time. Here’s hoping.

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not talking about minor vs big 4 (and for the record, I hate that characterization). We get too caught up in those titles. I am talking about clear and consistent improvement. If we can't look at a player and accept that he is improving when he obviously is, just because he isn't improving in the league of our choice, then we have already lost the plot.

yurch10 repped this.
  6. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPB at 6 would be nice.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPB doesn’t play anywhere

sXeWesley and Susaeta repped this.
  8. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I generally agree with your intent behind using minor vs major league. The gap between MLS and the Danish Superliga vs the top leagues is akin to AAA to MLB.

But I think you're using it in ways where it's too large a generalization. Miazga in Ligue 1 is much closer to the top 4 standard than where Amon and Adams play.

Another disagreement is the upper echelons of club football are levels above your standard WC match in quality and speed of play. When you're playing for top 4-6 clubs across the top leagues and/or clubs getting into the knockout UCL rounds, international play is a step down.

When Pulisic and BVB play Bayern, that's well above any standard he'll ever play with the NT outside of maybe facing France in a WC knockout match. That the NT level is a step up for so many of our players is an indictment on their club situations, their quality and is a big part of our struggles.

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah, Brazilians are really slow:rolleyes:

deejay repped this.
  10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    France in a friendly in France is better than most of what Pulisic will face in the B1.

MLS players have excelled in WCs, Copas, and CCs against top teams. The top Euro-leagues sort talent; they don't create talent.

11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hilarious. MLS doesn’t create talent. If imports mid level Latin American players. On the other hand, Germany, Spain, and Italy are talent factories.

jjmack repped this.
  12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Academy systems certainly produce players--senior leagues, not so much.

13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And updates on Amon?