John Duddy

Discussion in 'Ireland: NSR' started by lashjack, Apr 19, 2007.

1. lashjack

lashjack New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Any of you lot into boxing? He's a decent fighter from Derry, I watch all his fights at the Garden here in New York. Definatly worth a look if anyone has any interest in the sport. The lads who fly out to see him from Derry are great fun, they were convinced they saw me on the flight out from Ireland, so they forced me to go out to the pubs in the city with them. I do have a Monaghany twinge to my accent by virtue of my household, but they wouldn't believe I was American. May 18th is the next fight, not sure who the opponent is.

2. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I like boxing, but I don't don't know much about him. I thought he was UFC or something I after I saw a commercial on Setanta. What ever happened to Kevin McBride who beat Mike Tyson?

3. lashjack

lashjack New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    McBride cashed in on his celebrity big time after the Tyson fight. Saw him having a major session in Clones in the summer (or maybe summer before?). He then fought this Mike Mollo fellow from Chicago and got beat, convincingly. A win would have made him number one contender in at least one federation, and guaranteed the last fight on his contract with Don King be a title shot with that enormous Nicolai Valuev.

4. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Two friends of mine are acquaintances of his from back home; we've been meaning to head up to NYC to catch one of his fights, just haven't organized it. A friend of ours has seen him fight a few times and always had a great time.

We ordered the PPV the night before Paddy's Day, and tbh Duddy should've been more aggressive going after Bonsante after the clash of heads.

Was hugely impressed with Andy Lee from Limerick, though - that was one of the best KO's I've seen in quite awhile...:cool:

5. NY Hoop

NY Hoop Member

Shamrock Rovers
    Jun 3, 2003
    Dublin
    Club:
    Shamrock Rovers
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Agree about Lee's KO.

A friend of a friend follows Duddy as he's from Derry so was probably one of those lads who was on the piss in NYC!

We're actually flying out for the 2 games on the 19th and are now trying to change the flights back a day to take in the fight.

Hope Duddy makes it big.

KOH

6. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    He's from my home town. I remember all the talk about how he was gonna do well in the States when he was leaving a few years ago. Loads of people from home went to NY for the fight, apparently it was madness. I didnt see it cos I was stuck in wales but my dad said that a lot of people think his opponent was hand picked so that the Irish man would win the night before St. Paddy's day. Whether that is the case or not, he's hot property at the moment and the best of luck to him!