Joey Saputo Talks about Signing MLS Expansion Agreement

Discussion in 'Montreal Impact' started by Luis_Rancagua, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Luis_Rancagua

Luis_Rancagua Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Here is the latest rumor. Joey Saputo was on Montreal’s THE TEAM 990. In the interview he states that the club is close of making the announcement by the end of MAY. Few days before his Montreal Impact plays AC Milan at the Olympic Stadium on June 2.

Listen to the interview right by the 40th minute…Joey makes it clear. Here is an interview by oranges at halftime podcast with Joey Saputo on signing expansion agreement with MLS.

2. FrankBurns

FrankBurns New Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Saputo says that the hold up is more philosophical issues, fundamental issues rather than dollar and cents issues, I wonder what those issues may be?

3. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Maybe the nature of the ownership and what that entails. The Impact would go from being a not-for-profit org owned by Saputo Inc., Government of Quebec and Hydro-Quebec to being privately owned by the Saputo family.

4. FrankBurns

FrankBurns New Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    i hope you're right. my only hope is that there isn't an unresolvable philospophical issue and that joey decides to pull the plug on the bid forcing us to have to play teams like austin on postage stamp sized, football lined fields for eternity.

5. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Don't worry about that. Montreal is in. They've been told they were in and are telling (this is important) sponsors they are in. They are selling rights, sponsorships and agreements based on MLS entrance.

Both sides need the other. If there was any US city out there with 35million dollar check, a stadium, a committed owner and team in place they would have been in 5 years ago. The philosophical differences are about the junior ranks not anything with ownership.

The Impact want to build a try youth system. They want a PDL team, a USL 1 or 2/NASL team and the MLS team.

They also (heres the 'differences') want to be able to retain outside of the draft system the players they've developed and the ability to sell the player to a non-MLS team outside of the leagues single structure.

5 years ago this would have been impossible to bridge. However Vancouver and the residency program has ironed out a lot of the kinks.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hope they get to do that to some extent. I really feel the league needs to allow that if they want to develop high quality talent.

7. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Garber is talking to the AP today as if the announcement for Montreal is very close. I get the impression the deal is done and its just down to giving Montreal the luxury of picking their announcement date.

Your right on the button with many of the youth development issues. Note that MLS made a number of changes this season as to how these are handled in a nod to Vancouver.

8. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    allowing teams to sign their best young players-- i believe it is 4-- so they do not have to go into the draft is a GREAT thing mls has done-- and vancouver led the way

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, because why develop players you cant sign

10. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Totally correct, Tim Ream played 2 years for the Chicago Fire Reserves, gets drafted by Red Bull and makes his MLS debut against the Fire (with a clean sheet by the way)

Excusez-moi, mais ca c'est una mega stupidite'

1 person likes this.
  11. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    But players know going in what exactly that team is, it's a normal PDL team stocked each summer with college players. The Fire can't put players they have signed on the same field with them due to NCAA amateur rules. In other words, for the time being, it fits outside the Fire's development pyramid. It's a team that draws from all over the country like a lot of the other top PDL teams.

12. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Without a doubt you are right but what is the use of the Fire Reserves? Just invest time and money in players that will be drafted by other teams? Looks like a sinkhole for money if you ask me. MLS should change that rule.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not about the players. Players will use any opportunity to further their career. What we are talking about, is giving clubs the incentive to invest a lot of money in training and developing new players.

1 person likes this.
  14. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see Montreal put a team in Quebec City, either a USL1 au NASL. Any chance we would see this?

Bonne chance Impact de Montreal!

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Trois Rivieres Attak are the Montreal reserve team.

16. FrankBurns

FrankBurns New Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    they used to be in trois rivieres (csl champs 2009)
    the imact now have a reserve team, or academy playing at saputo stadium in the csl.
    tickets are 5$ general admission.

17. Tatatatan

Tatatatan New Member

May 31, 2009
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    They are 2 $ no?

18. Mr. Caca

Mr. Caca Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The last we heard of it, Saputo was saying that it was his intend to put an NASL team there as the Impact's reserve team, but I guess it will depend of the way negotiations go with MLS regarding rights on players formed within the academy system.

Personally, I would love to see a team in Quebec City (and go see them play against the Impact for the Voyageurs cup).

19. Chef Medeski

Chef Medeski Member

Sep 25, 2008
    NYC
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Development issues?

An academy and being able to sell the players maybe?

20. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, anymore news on the update, which Saputo will anounce!?

21. thejackpot

thejackpot Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Montreal, QC
  22. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
  23. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I begrudgingly say congrats, Montreal.

24. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    The return of Ali Gerba and Sandro Grande? Or the Montreal Expos? (lol)

25. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    The Impact and Alouettes are going to trade nicknames, and Saputo is going to re-create the Autostade for MLS on the grounds of Stade Saputo :D