'JOB's future at Ajax decided this week'

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jinne, Mar 24, 2004.

1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

well these things don't always happen to appease the fans' idea of timeliness

2. AjaxGunner

AjaxGunner New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    Sorry for those expecting a JOB update, but I just wanted to say, don't get your hopes up. He's said in the past that he would like to move on to a bigger league (meaning not MLS) and before his injuries he was getting looks from Germany. If he signs for another year, he would probably see it as a chance to showcase himself to bigger European clubs. If not, I think he would probably go on trials, ala Mathis, before considering MLS.

3. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    Thanks AjaxGunner.

4. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

for what?

5. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    Just for the stuff about Germany. Thank you too for your info bluedaddy. :D

6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i am unfamiliar with any official offers from germany - the club that was the hottest after JOB was barcelona

as for even mentioning MLS as a possibilty... its pure fantasy and a complete joke that USMNT fans even would want that

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe a couple of Serie A clubs were interested, but after the 2002 Italian debacle the interest died down.

8. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

bologna was one of them

9. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sampdoria was another, and for some reason I think Udinese. I'm not sure the interest was more than the famed "O'Brien looks interesting", but I do remember Samp saying something.

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

well i cant verify bologna made an bid proper, but i wouldn't be surprised if they did

11. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O.k., I'd say you pretty strongly implied it by saying how stupid I was to suggest that training can contribute to injuries, but let's just chalk this one up to miscommunication and move on, shall we? I know everyone else will be grateful. It would seem that we've reached the common point we probably started from that training and accidents both contribute to injuries, so it's not a bad question to ask which of these is the biggest part in this case. Cool.

Too bad none of us know enough about JOB's experience to have a sense of where his injury future is going.

G.

12. AjaxGunner

AjaxGunner New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    There was an article somewhere on the internet from 2 years ago, stating that a Leverkusen scout was allegedly following JOB as they weren't sure if they could re-sign Ze Roberto. It went into Bayer's problems with Donovan, but that they might be willing to take a chance on another American as he had already established himself in Europe. I remember thinking of how well JOB must be rated to be considered as a potential replacement for Ze, if only as a rumor topic.

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

wow, didnt know that - if JOB did have to leave for a new challenge, that would be a very interesting destination - i could see him enjoying some success there

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    News to me.

15. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's a damn funny qoute!
    I'm with Guihno!
    Job isn't doing something correctly.

16. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
  17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  18. ajaxusa

ajaxusa Member

Jul 6, 1999
  19. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence
    For a team that is committed to youth, it is pretty sweet that JOB is injured for most of his last contract year, and gets an extension.

Of those that made their debut in 1999 only JOB remains. And for 2000, the list only includes:

Abubakari Yakubu (66 league appearances)
    Bogdan Lobont (38)
    Rafael van der Vaart (90)
    Tomas Galásek (111)

(from english.ajax.nl)

Plus Pasanen and van der Gun, who are currently on loan.

For a low budget team like Ajax to have success in Europe, they need a) everyone healthy and b) minimal changes in the squad. Unfortunately this year, they didn't have either. Hopefully guys like van der Vaart and Ibrahimovic will stay to make one more run at it. And of course a healthy O'brien would be nice.

20. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news for JOB, now if he can just get healthy! WHat's his current status ajaxusa?

21. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    Now that O'Brien's status with Ajax is determined...

A one-year extension. Hmmm... Possibly a move to MLS at the end of the contract, ensuring he will be stateside during WCQ's.

22. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Let's put it this way...I don't envy the job JOB's agent must have had since January 1.

He has to sell his client to teams--a guy that's injured a lot. What club is going to put down good money without conditions, like Ajax did?

This is a good set up for John--he has a season to get healthy, and then at the age of 27 try to sell himself again across Europe next winter/spring/summer.

23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see John sign an extension and end the drama. Ajax should be given credit by sticking with JOB through all his injury woes. That says alot about Ajax and their committment/faith that they have in JOB, that when healthy he's a vital part of their squad.

24. ajaxusa

ajaxusa Member

Jul 6, 1999
    I really don't know. I don't know whether he's training with the first team or apart. What happens for the rest of this season is much less important than what happens with the Nats and with Ajax beginning this summer, though I'm sure it would be a great emotional boost (for John and his fans) if he could see some Ajax 1 action this season.

25. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Re: Now that O'Brien's status with Ajax is determined...

OH MY GOD!!! WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!?!?!?!?!?!