'JOB's future at Ajax decided this week'

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jinne, Mar 24, 2004.

1. jinne

jinne New Member

Feb 12, 2000
    Holland
    That's what Dutch footballmagazine Voetbal International in their edition of this week. They're normally reliable and for most clubs april 1st is the date they want everything done with the contracts for the next season, so... I always liked John, a nice guy he is [result]especially for an American. Just testing the new spoilercodes :p [/result], but I think his at Ajax has come to an end. :(

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Can't say it's shocking, but depressing none the less.

3. No. 10

No. 10 New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Red Bank, NJ
    We all know John can play in the MLS, but I think he would fit in well in England.

4. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    A healthy JOB can play anywhere. I hope that he can stay injury free in the future.

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't all ex-Ajax players go to Barcelona ?

:D

6. pkwin

pkwin New Member

Mar 22, 2004
    in the trap
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    *pouring out liquor for JOB*

7. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence
    I know a lot of the people on these boards like to slam the dutch league, but I would love to see JOB stay at Ajax. Refusing to debate whether player x is better off in league y or 2nd tier league z, IMO Ajax is quality and there is still much to accomplish there. So, he won't make as much money there as elsewhere -- anywhere he goes other than a top 10-15 European team is at least one step down. This would've been taken care of long ago, if he ever had one, full healthy season. It is a pretty sad situation, really.

8. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    As long as he doesn't end up playing in Scotland or end up at PSV or FC Hollywood, I'll be happy.

9. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well hes ben there for a long long time so perhps its time. Most of the guys he was a youth player with at Ajax have long since moved on to other clubs.

10. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would also like to see JOB stay at Ajax for one more season. I think he should sign a 1 year extension. I would love to see what he can accomplish if he has one healthy season at Ajax. Then maybe after 2005 he can sign w/ another top Euro club and he'll get a maxium deal. Sadly, because of injuries he'll be a a bargain price, comparatively speaking.

11. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does everyone seem so sad? He's spent most of his football life in Amsterdam and this might just be an even better opportunity for him. Perhaps he'll fit in nicely with an even more ambitious club...

12. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    I smell a Blackburn swoop......

(very wishful thinking)

13. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    So what...the rest of us are pricks?

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I will resist. I will resist...

I think the real drag here is simply the timing. If this were a few months ago when JOB were playing, rather than being back on the (seemingly perpetual) mend, he would have a better chance of going somewhere interesting.

You rarely are negotiating from a place of strength when you're sitting on the trainer's bench.

That said, there are at least a dozen Dutch teams that could use JOB right now - but none that will be as fun to play for as Ajax.

15. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    or Manchester United

16. AEK

AEK Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has he ever had a totally healthy season? Anyways I am sure he will land somewhere.

17. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I love JOB but if I were Ajax I wouldn't resign him. He is to Ajax what Darren Anderton is to Spurs. How do you say Sicknote in Dutch?

18. LittleMaradona

Feb 25, 2001
    Here's the template for posting JOB games next year:

JOB: Any Team vs. Any Team - DNP, Injured

19. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any idea what JOB's salary is? Not getting a new contract would mean he's a free transfer, correct?

Maybe he'd like to come home....the Galaxy midfield sure could use him.

20. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    If he moves, I hope he moves somewhere where he'll get the chance to play center-mid (a-mid or d=mid). He's said that that's his preferred position, and it's not one that he's likely to see any time at with Ajax. So a move to the right club might open up this opportunity for him.

21. jarrod09

jarrod09 New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Netherlands
    hmmm... which dutch teams couldn't use JOB?

22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Italy

Remember that Bologna was showing significant interest in him during the World Cup. Of course that was nearly two years ago, but perhaps they haven't forgotten him.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It wasn't a "totally healthy" season but he was fourth in games played for Ajax the year before the WC.

24. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'll get my wish and he'll move to Feyenoord and play central midfield.

Feyenoord needs a guy like him, they like him, and want to find someone like him - so why not him?

25. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    The most ominous question here: Have they reviewed his medical records and figured he's just never going to last a full season?

I'm just thankful he managed to stay healthy for the World Cup run.